Newly Qualified Class 2 looking into agencies

Hi,
I’ve recently entered the LGV industry after 29 years in retail and having now passed on Class 2 vehicles I’m looking into joining an agency in the Manchester area.

As this is TOTALLY NEW to me I would welcome any tips, guidance or advice on joining an agency and also if anyone has any recommendations for agencies in the Manchester area.

Thanks

CH

Make sure you have a cushion of money for bills etc as agency work is not guaranteed.
Only accept payment via PAYE. Don’t allow them to push you into umbrella or LTD company unless it’s your choice and you understand it.
Don’t believe a word they tell you. It’s not uncommon to be promised the world and then the phone never rings.

Other than that just use them to get hours on your card while looking for direct employment.

Have a look on indeed theres always jobs advertised at the airport for new passes, good luck mate

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

I tried signing up to two agencies when I first passed. One of them promised me the earth, the other told me there wouldn’t be any guarantees for work and any work I did get would be crap until I built myself a reputation. Guess which one I went with.

Two years ago I was in the exact same position in Nottingham. Since then I’ve had to push work back. I would expect it to be exactly the same in Manchester. I’m quite happy staying on agency for the forseeable future because of the flexibility it gives me, and rates are often better. I also like getting paid by the hour instead of the day as if I have a long day I like it rather than resent it. I haven’t bother going Ltd yet as I’m still concentrating on improving my driving. Watch out for the RNS corner clipping posts. This happened to me twice in the first few weeks as the dimensions were just so much bigger than what I was used to in a car. One of the best pieces of advice any trucker gave me was ‘Agencies Lie’. This has turned out to be a reliable rule to live by. And part of this is checking your hours each week and that your pay is correct. Also, get your head around holiday pay entitlement, another way they like to fleece you.

Qualified as class 2 last May after 30 years in Bars & Retail.
I registered with Taskmaster driving in Wakefield/Leeds and they struggled to get me any class 2 work for a month or so but got me plenty of 7.5 tonne work with the odd day of class 2. Some places reluctant to take on people with little or no driving experience but be honest with them because they will give you more leeway as a new driver. Made sure I rang up at least twice a week( before they did the allocation and on the morning of them doing the allocation- normally Fridays). Eventually started getting regular class 2 work. Got a variety of work with different companies ( including kitchens, frozen food, stationery, carpets, steel, building materials) mostly multidrop between 3 and 20 per day.

Often would get little info about the job for the next day- just start time and location and name of company. Sometimes they would have loads of details but often the company hadn’t supplied it due to wanting drivers at short notice. Try and get rate of pay, approx number of hours, overtime rate and when this starts( sometimes it is after 8 hours and sometimes not at all). Also minimum hours- I got paid 3 hours for one job but also got 8 hours pay for 5 or 6 hour shifts.
Try and be flexible about start times and accepting work at short notice because the more you help them the more they will help you. It is true that agencies lie or don’t give the whole truth so be a bit careful who you register with. I struck lucky with my first choice ( maybe because they are a national company) but also had people advising me to register with several agencies (Driver Plus, pertemps, etc) so that you get more choice in what you take, however you could ■■■■ them off by turning down work when you have already got some from another agency. Also don’t be afraid to ring the agency up and tell them whether you liked the shift/work/ company or indeed whether you didn’t or have ■■■■■■ ed up.
ALWAYS go PAYE and definitely not umbrella of Ltd. This may mean that your rate of pay is not as good but everything (tax/NI etc) will be covered and you accumulate holiday too.

When you are at the job tell them if you need help or don’t understand anything. Most will help you because they want the job done. I got sent to one job and had to use a manual split gear stick and had to ask someone to show me. Also load straps/ security, tailgates, pallet trucks, curtain sides, etc. Also ask for feedback from company and agency. You may find that something you think you have done badly wrong is no problem for them.

Also you are in Manchester so you could go direct to companies (dress smart casual and have work gear available) e.g. Trafford Park and ask to speak to transport manager. Leave your details and get theirs so that you can keep asking.

Look at as much advice as you can and make your own mind up what to take.
You will like some jobs that others will detest and vice versabut it is all experience at this stage. I have taken a full time job now (after working 13 weeks temp to perm) and the work is decent, people are good to work with- firm but fair, and the pay/hours are ok. They are also offering training on different vehicles and also paid CPC courses( even though I don’t need it at moment as a new by) I met some one who turned down work there after 2 days because he didn’t like it. Each to their own.

Also there is lots of info on this site and also look at some YouTube videos for help.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but trying to give as much advice as possible

Captain Caveman 76:
I tried signing up to two agencies when I first passed. One of them promised me the earth, the other told me there wouldn’t be any guarantees for work and any work I did get would be crap until I built myself a reputation. Guess which one I went with.

The second one if you had any sense. The truth is often not pleasant but is often easy to spot

It’s just about the quietest time of year for agency work, so be prepared to be patient, it will pick up around Easter.

You are a newly passed driver, and beggars can’t be choosers, so be prepared to take on the crap which everybody else has turned down. After a few weeks, if you have turned up on time, every time, and generally acquitted yourself well, then you will start to have some leverage with the agency as to what type of work you prefer. If you prove yourself to be 100% reliable then they will notice that and reserve you for their better work.

Can’t help you with the Manchester thing, I’m in the east Midlands. But good luck.

Captain Caveman 76:

The one that promised you the earth, and then left you on the sidelines?

We’ve all been there.
I got the same treatment with Manpower, Pertemps, Berry Recruitment…

If you’re “trying to build a reputation”, then why not take a £25k-£30k job on food deliveries from somewhere out of the Trafford Park area?

Winseer:
If you’re “trying to build a reputation”, then why not take a £25k-£30k job on food deliveries from somewhere out of the Trafford Park area?

The one immutable law I’ve learned about truck driving over the years is “If it can be eaten or drunk, don’t touch it with a bargepole” :wink:

I used Staff UK in Bolton. They had work all over Greater Manchester a few years ago. I signed up with them as a new pass, and got plenty of work, although it was summer. I have been in my present job for 3 years - after being placed there by the agency.

If you can be patient until the summer you will see a drastically different job market for drivers. Or maybe offer yourself for a bit of weekend work to start the ball rolling if you’re in a steady job.

Harry Monk:

Winseer:

The one immutable law I’ve learned about truck driving over the years is “If it can be eaten or drunk, don’t touch it with a bargepole” :wink:

THIS…1 gerzillion times :laughing: :laughing:

Baggie:

Harry Monk:

Winseer:

THIS…1 gerzillion times :laughing: :laughing:

The worst driving I ever did was chilled and frozen food, the second worst was milk, but the best was pop.

Lorry driving is crap. You would have been better spending your time and money learning a trade.

Mickey mouse:
Lorry driving is crap. You would have been better spending your time and money learning a trade.

To be fair, truck driving might be poor to you but others love it …

To the opening poster, jump on to yell.com or other searches and see where you are prepared to work , ie 5,10,15 miles from home … then print up a CV … there is loads of work ifmyou show the right aptitude and go find it …

Agency, loads will be negative, but if it suits you, go for it … just please do not use umbrella or Ltd… any decent agency will not force you to… oh, and follow your instincts id it doesn’t feel right don’t so it.

Harry Monk:

Absolutely bang on there Harry, never, ever again :smiley:

Harry Monk:

Winseer:

Is that why so many of us are estranged from our wives then? :unamused: