Newly qualified Class 2 driver based in Hull

Hey up folks! Passed my Class 2 this Thursday just gone. Been having a nosey on these forums the past few days and loving the ‘brotherhood’ aspect of it all. Lots of information, lots of helpful drivers exactly what a newly qualified driver needs eh!!

So basically I’m looking to get out of the job I’m in now which is driving sideloaders all day for a timber firm and getting myself out on the open road but a bit stumped as to where to start.

I visited D&P last night after being tipped off about the possibility of a job with them but sadly it’s a waiting game there because before a class 2 wagon is freed up they need to shift 1 of their drivers onto a class 1 vehicle.

If any of you lot based in Hull can point me in the direction of any haulage companies that are willing to take a chance on newly qualified drivers that would be great. Hours, nights out etc I’m open to it all for the time being, im getting married next year so it’s a case of grin and bear it to pay that off.

Also any hints, tips or tricks please fire away I can never learn too much can I, cheers.

Congrats pal! :smiley:

I passed a week last Monday, and finally today my online licence has been updated! Hopefully my new licence is in the post! :smiley: - So don’t be surprised if takes a little while…

As for agencies, sign on to all of them. Just be prepared to have to go through an interview process to see if you have a pulse! :smiley:

I would highly recommend prestige, Billy is a great lad just say no to to that shower on Hedon rd within the old priestmans site, I did two days there straight after passing class2 wouldn’t go back for a third, slammed phone down on me for taking my break for my 6 hr work ruling.

Ey up pal, where you working now??

Lots of places across the bridge at Immingham!

yt03:
Ey up pal, where you working now??

Hawthorn Timber pal

Are they at Melton?? I know ska are up there

Won’t they let you go out in a 6 legger??

Nah based off of Hedon Road. Gaffer offered me the position of ‘relief driver’ earlier on today basically covering holidays, sickness etc with a strong possibility of going full time on the wagons within 12 months. Sticking on the wage I’m on now which is just over £9 an hour. The only problem is the time not spent on wagons will be doing menial crap in the mill which isn’t ideal. Umming and aahing about it at the minute I told him I’d take the weekend to think it over. In all honesty I’d rather just get out on the road but I can’t just say no when I’m likely to get 30 weeks out of the year out driving and whatever else they can give me, it’s an option at least isn’t it?

Stay where you are mate, you’d be lucky to get over 9 quid ph class 2 in Hull. I only know one person on that wage pal

That’s not ment to sound negative but all I mean is don’t expect that down the road.

Yeah I understand matey all our drivers say the same thing. They all said I’d only be looking at £7.50-£8 tops anywhere else tbh our place does pay well compared to other places and that’s with all jobs on our site. It’s Mon-Fri 7:30-4:30 too no nights out no weekend work etc. Guess I’d be shooting myself in the foot a bit going elsewhere it’s just the time off wagons I’m bothered about, being completely green stop/starting my driving education would be a bit counter productive wouldn’t it? Or am I missing the point and slowly but surely getting myself adjusted to driving be a good thing?

A few trips out on your own mate and you will be sound, the nerves won’t last long. I know you will be eager to get on with it, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Sounds like your onto a good thing there tbh

I’ll pm you, just thought of something :wink:

im getting married next year, so its a case of grin and bear it… love it :wink: couldn’t put it better myself

I’ve got to agree your not going to get £9 a hour class 1 in hull never mind class 2, if it’s just wanting to get out on the road as opposed to hating the job your in I’d stay and take what I can. Hull is crap for money ask around, ps congrats on the pass it’s a great feeling ain’t it.

Trucker Ed:
I’ve got to agree your not going to get £9 a hour class 1 in hull never mind class 2, if it’s just wanting to get out on the road as opposed to hating the job your in I’d stay and take what I can. Hull is crap for money ask around, ps congrats on the pass it’s a great feeling ain’t it.

They is money to be made mate, I take home alot n I only do day work, it’s just finding them very few jobs.

That area is swamped with Class 2 stuff. Lots of groupage goes in and out of the docks round there, lots of companies have a hand in it.

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=fe … rom=recjob