Newly qualified Class 1 - info on A W Jenkinson

I’m a newly qualified Class 1 driver, currently doing class 2 RORO! Im on a decent wage n benefits but salary capped at £28000. Been offered a Class 1 job with A W Jenkinson Monday to Friday night shift £36000+ does anyone have any info regarding Jenkinsons ie r they decent to work for etc Quite fancy it but apprehensive to take the leap. Cheers folks

There was a thread about them recently I believe if you do a search.

I’ve not worked for them but I have worked for a company doing the same work so have seen a lot of them. Seem like a decent company tbf. Have a fair driver turnover but that’s mostly because working with waste isn’t for everyone. I presume you’re used to that if you do roro currently? I enjoyed it on the whole - much better than general.

Where would you be based? Night shift at Runcorn used to load chip at the place I worked in Astley in a chipliner, tip Lockerbie and bring a pre loaded trailer of shed panels back down to Runcorn. Average 10 hrs a night according to the drivers I spoke to.

I wouldn’t worry too much about taking the plunge if I was you, plenty of other stuff about at the moment if it doesn’t work out. Good luck!

I’ve known a few guys who work, or have worked, for Jenkys up here in the north east, they had no big complaints about the company, so fill yer boots :sunglasses:

One thing though, the guys some of the guys who do the chipliner work (for Jenkys and other companies) have said they wouldn’t recommend chipliner work, full stop. But if you’re doing 32T Roro work, you’re probably used to things being a bit dirty (speaking from several years of experience…)

Zac_A:
I’ve known a few guys who work, or have worked, for Jenkys up here in the north east, they had no big complaints about the company, so fill yer boots :sunglasses:

One thing though, the guys some of the guys who do the chipliner work (for Jenkys and other companies) have said they wouldn’t recommend chipliner work, full stop. But if you’re doing 32T Roro work, you’re probably used to things being a bit dirty (speaking from several years of experience…)

Fair point :smiley:

I’ve seen many people not last a day on a chipliner! But I didn’t mind it - you do have to be a handy with a broom though :unamused: Pretty sure Jenks pay extra if you’re on a chipliner rather than a floor though.

crunch13:
There was a thread about them recently I believe if you do a search.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=168345

You’ll go to the tightest yards and some of the weighbridges are an utter nightmare to get on to, but you’ll get used to it. I used to feel physically sick when asked to go to some yards.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Only if you weight up to 22 stones.uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=52b4 … 277f6b99df

Don’t forget to tell them not to mess with your night out money :laughing:

Andrejs:
Only if you weight up to 22 stones.

Smart move :laughing: You can’t legally discriminate against those guys who are a heart-attack-waiting-to-happen, but that’s one get-out-clause you can use

Zac_A:

Andrejs:

Smart move :laughing: You can’t legally discriminate against those guys who are a heart-attack-waiting-to-happen, but that’s one get-out-clause you can use

Heart attack can easy happened for anyone slim boy.More depend from cholesterol level.Some people slim but have high cholesterol level.

Assuming it’s on Drax contract out of Howden. ■■■■ easy, good money and you’ll spend half your time stood down on full pay

Andrejs:

Zac_A:

Andrejs:

Heart attack can easy happened for anyone slim boy.More depend from cholesterol level.Some people slim but have high cholesterol level.

:unamused: Guess you missed the emoji, which indicates it was intended to be humorous, and therefore not to be taken too seriously. And don’t make personal comments when people are having a joke, it just makes you look petulant, also it’s pretty pointless as you have no idea whether I’m slim or fat, have you? Also, there’s more to heart attacks than just cholesterol levels.

Zac_A:

Andrejs:

Zac_A:

Andrejs:

:unamused: Guess you missed the emoji, which indicates it was intended to be humorous, and therefore not to be taken too seriously. And don’t make personal comments when people are having a joke, it just makes you look petulant, also it’s pretty pointless as you have no idea whether I’m slim or fat, have you? Also, there’s more to heart attacks than just cholesterol levels.

Oh god, don’t go down the rabbit hole. Andrex will just parry with more gobbledegook

Underpants will eat cabbage under midnight goodmorning.

Andrejs:
Only if you weight up to 22 stones.uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=52b4 … 277f6b99df

They’ve probably had a few broken drivers seats due to the excess weight

peirre:

I’ve had an instance where the rear axles wouldn’t level until some weight came back off, I suppose there comes a point that the driver seat is in the same situation!!

SummerPig38:
I’m a newly qualified Class 1 driver, currently doing class 2 RORO! Im on a decent wage n benefits but salary capped at £28000. Been offered a Class 1 job with A W Jenkinson Monday to Friday night shift £36000+ does anyone have any info regarding Jenkinsons ie r they decent to work for etc Quite fancy it but apprehensive to take the leap. Cheers folks

Good company and mark the transport manager is ace. Will always have your back over the customers.
Go for it m8. #KEEPONTRUCKIN

njl:

peirre:

I’ve had an instance where the rear axles wouldn’t level until some weight came back off, I suppose there comes a point that the driver seat is in the same situation!!

When I worked at Wincantons several drivers were warned that the seats were only designed for a max of 22 stones and if they didn’t lose weight they’d be out.