Newly Passed out drivers offering to work for FREE!

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I have noted a lot of these new drivers who pass out offering to work for free … has this world gone mad? Yes I understand you need a break to get into driving but working for free baffles me do you drivers who are working or offering to work for free have no self respect??, appreciate being taken for a mug.

By working for free the employer will expect the next bloke to do it … Sorry but people who want to work for free would be welcome to come work for me for a week if I had a truck company would save a fortune… I wouldnt mind mugging you off if you think that low of yourself.

New drivers RESPECT yourself and dont work for free!!

We have discussed this before and I believe the general concensus was that going out with the regular driver for free was ok but not going out on their own and taking a paid job off another driver.

Well said discoman. We have hit a new low if people are expected to graft for nothing. I’ve just failed Class C (first attempt) through my own incompetence and lack of experience with an excellent company. But what you highlight makes you wonder whether it’s worth it in the first place. :cry:

Hi discoman, :blush: :blush: :blush:
Long before i left my previous job or even started my training i made a promise to a good friend of mine who has his own truck, that if i ever managed to get through the test i would do a run for him for free as he has 2 small kids at home and being an owner/operator doesnt get to see them often, turns out my first run is to northern france :astonished: - should be great experience mind you, but a promise is a promise !! thats the only work i will be doing for free !!!
Totally agree with you 100% if one does it then the next guy who calls for a job will also be expected to follow on and so forth to do a free day/week etc

I will work for free the day after I go into Morrisons and they don’t charge me for my groceries :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 to the above from discoman.

I was listening to a debate on the radio yesterday about so called ‘interns’ that work for extended periods for free. This is to get that valuable experience to put down on your CV so you can get paid work. I came away from the debate thinking that there are companies that are taking these kids for a ride and getting a lot of work done for nothing. Extracting the Michael big style :imp: :imp:

(Mind you wasn’t Monica Lewinsky an intern…? :laughing: :laughing: )

As tempting as it is to want to get experience the reason I’ve just shelled out £2k+ to get a couple licences means that I NEED to earn to get back on my feet. As Gene Hunt would say - end of. :sunglasses:

Every day you work for free another driver goes without a days wages.

lollie:
Hi discoman, :blush: :blush: :blush:
Long before i left my previous job or even started my training i made a promise to a good friend of mine who has his own truck, that if i ever managed to get through the test i would do a run for him for free as he has 2 small kids at home and being an owner/operator doesnt get to see them often, turns out my first run is to northern france :astonished: - should be great experience mind you, but a promise is a promise !! thats the only work i will be doing for free !!!
Totally agree with you 100% if one does it then the next guy who calls for a job will also be expected to follow on and so forth to do a free day/week etc

Hi Lollie, that is your friend, I understand that I am sure he has done stuff for you for free that is friendship, what I am getting to get across is that some new drivers are very keen to drive and unfortunately they seem to think they are not worth a days pay because they have only held a licence day week month etc. … ROG, crap its not ok for a new driver to go on a days work without expecting pay even if they are learning.

Wheel Nut:
I will work for free the day after I go into Morrisons and they don’t charge me for my groceries :stuck_out_tongue:

Class, can picture you now walking out with a trolley full of goods saying tell the TM to pick up bill I worked for him yesterday for free so this is my wage :laughing:

I did often thing about doing a couple of days free or maybe even a trial week just to prove to the company I was worthy of taking their 200 grand motor out but then I came to my senses and thought 1) that’s not really fair on me. 2) employer might start taking a loan of you. 3) it’s not fair to the other guys who work their arses off and i’m willing to do it for [zb] all.

A day free now at a push I’d say but indefinitely no more.

sidenote: (i’m 18 years old and if i owned a fleet of lorries, i wouldn’t let today’s youngsters near them. i have to be a bit hypocritical in saying that because i am one of those youngsters, just not one of the ones who’s stupid enough to point their car at a corner at a speed it wont stick at).

so you do a week for free the boss say you did well id like to offer you a job … RESULT
he tells u ur wage is national min
u question it
he says u did it for free last week thats the deal take or leave it :open_mouth:
end result he has had your pants down

You could double -man with your uncle or something like that. If you are working with a commercial firm then commerce is all about money changing hands.

alamcculloch:
You could double -man with your uncle or something like that. If you are working with a commercial firm then commerce is all about money changing hands.

Yeah I’m hoping that’s what I’m going to be allowed to do.

Sam Millar:
sidenote: (i’m 18 years old and if i owned a fleet of lorries, i wouldn’t let today’s youngsters near them.

And thats the problem… Just because the older people you see and hear on tnuk are interested in the job doesn’t mean say they all are, you’ll realise that when you start driving. The reality is those that arent interested in the job, moan, refuse to take out certain loads, refuse to work past x o’clock, refuse to drive certain trucks etc.

Young person is asked to jump, young person replies with “how high”.

I worked 4 days for “free” (was being payed by my then current employer holiday pay,booked the week off),
the result of this free 4 days work…
A change of job from warehouse worker to hgv driver…plus £16,000 per year more than i was getting in the warehouse…Sometimes its worth doing!
The “free” days i did were 7 years ago this month,im still with the same company.

I can see both sides of the story with this, I mean I only passed late last year, and did briefly look for class 2 work before passing my class 1 and going with a mate. But as a young new driver, it’s near on impossible finding work unless you have some form of link or know someone! Companies want 2 years experience and agency wont touch you as they become liable and won’t get work themselves if they send hound in experienced drivers! Tough call but work for free… Doubt it!

I’d rather do anything but work for nothing, but then it shows what people are willing to do in order to prove themselves!

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.750404,-0.967448