Newie looking for work

Hi, My name is Matt, I’m 27 years old. I registered on this forum just yesterday.

After being in the same dead end job since leaving school I decided to save up and gain my LVG licence .
I phoned the ‘HGV Driver Training Centre’ to ask how much it would cost.
They very quickly convinced me to go ahead. Even when I told them I had a DR10 still on my licence from 9 years ago they assured me it would not make any difference as it was so long ago.
I realise now that I was very naive believing that.
I recently got my class 1 and enrolled with an agency to gain experience but as soon as they saw the conviction on my licence they didn’t want to know. They told me the insurance would be too high.
I really hope I don’t have to wait another 12 months before I can work.
Does anyone know if all agencies the same ? Or has anyone else got this endorsement and managed to find work.

Your best hope is to get out there and do some good old fashioned leg work and call in at small general hauliers and explain the situation. Just because they havent got an ad online for jobs doesn’t mean they aren’t wanting new drivers - I found that they were desperate for drivers so they don’t have to pay more for agency drivers. Forget the agencies mate, go to people who can apply a bit of common sense and make their own decisions.

a lot of places won’t touch a DR10 on a licence. as soon as you can get it removed but as its been said get out there it was a long time ago and you’ve paid a fair time.
If you murdered your Mrs you’d be out of nick by now and no-one would know :wink:

Nine years ago should not be a problem, try researching “old school” hauliers that are a little old fashioned and do things their own way.
To locate one man bands from owner drivers to fleets, addresses can be found in the decisions/applications sections for Operating licences in the Dvsa website.
I would not bother emailing or sending letters, from my experience they never reply.
Arrange an informal chat with the the transport manager , at a time when it is quiet and not a peak times of loading vehicles.
Place an advert in free magazines such as Trade It in the employment section, an advert in the truck magazines, where employeers contact you, I got three job offers like that.

How long DR10 will stay on your license?

It must be removed some time otherwise… :cry:

A lot of the big boys won’t want to know but the smaller outfits are normally more understanding. Since this DR10 happened 9 years ago and you’ve kept a clean license since shows that you’ve learned not to be a naughty boy which might win some gaffers over. As Tris said, get some smart causal clothes and take a trip round the local hauliers. Try tippers as well.

It’s a bit late to tell you this now but it looks like HGV Driver Training Centre is a broker so the odds are that you paid over the odds as well as being lied to, it’s a shame you didn’t find this place before doing the training because you would have been well advised to stay clear of brokers who are known to lie in order to get your business.

As far as the DR10 is concerned I’m afraid you’ll be lucky to find an agency that can find you work until the DR10 is cleared from your licence, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth trying several agencies, however your best bet is probably the small to medium sized haulage companies or factories ec’t that run their own transport.

Good luck with the job search :wink:

Dan ze Man:
How long DR10 will stay on your license?

It must be removed some time otherwise… :cry:

A DR10 stays valid for 10 years but stays on your licence for 11 years.

Well that is a harsh lesson, 11 years. WOW.

Dan ze Man:

Well that is a harsh lesson, 11 years. WOW.

I don’t think it’s harsh at all. Should stay valid forever imho.

Markk80:
I don’t think it’s harsh at all. Should stay valid forever imho.

I see what your saying and I agree with you and if it is for driving home ■■■■■■ then yes,it should stay valid forever but if it was for being a tiny bit over the next day then forever is harsh. But I have little sympathy for anyone caught drink or drug driving,even if it is the next morning. If you had that much of a skinfull that your still over the limit hours later then you shouldnt have got behind the wheel.

Just for the record I would never drink and drive. I was 18 at the time and was sitting in my car in a car park. It was freezing cold and I had half an hour to wait for my taxi. Stupidly I had the engine on so the heater would work. I had no intention of driving anywhere.
When the police appeared I turned the engine off which I suppose made me look guilty. I tried explaining what I was doing but they didn’t believe me. They breathalysed me and the reading was 40. I was banned for 9 months and my fine was £100.
Knowing what I know now I would have argued a bit more by contacting the taxi company etc. but I was scared and just complied with everything they did.

Hi Matt,

Just reading your post from the beginning of 2015 I’m in the same situation, did you manage to secure any work with the DR10 on your licence.

I’ve got the same thing and mine is 9years and 3 months old.

Thanks Stuart