Newcastle Quayside

Lawrence Dunbar:
Frazers scrap yard was on St Lawrence Rd. on the left hand side before you got to Jimmys Cafe, allways busy, but now long gone I cant recall what is there now ?Regards Larry

I remember the yard on St. Lawrence Rd. but this one was on the Quayside & the entrance faced towards the Tyne Bridge if that makes sense

Think it’s fancy new flats where that yard was

Sorry I dont remember that, this is what I remeber

I been having another think about what you said, Its possible they had on of the old sheds, near the Swirle perhaps.

2Diesels:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Frazers scrap yard was on St Lawrence Rd. on the left hand side before you got to Jimmys Cafe, allways busy, but now long gone I cant recall what is there now ?Regards Larry

I remember the yard on St. Lawrence Rd. but this one was on the Quayside & the entrance faced towards the Tyne Bridge if that makes sense

I remember the St Lawrence road one then they moved down onto the quayside into one of the big sheds.

hi lads, Frazer brothers had a few sheds over there time on the quayside,starting with one near the ouseburn then as the sheds got dismantled moved back along the quay finishing in the last two sheds beside spillers, bob Tate had one of the sheds used it for buying and selling second hand pallets, also they was someone used a shed for recycling cardboard,toby jug would remember this guy has he and big edgar did work for him, larry it just seems like yesterday that we humped them sheets out of harrison’s,how time flies. :unamused: :unamused: bumper,

Aye Bumper, time does fly but the Harrison name is still on the go, Brian Hedley who worked there from leaving school still makes sheets, he has a shed in his back garden, & Trades as T.R.Harrison. Regards Larry

Small world isn’t it? I was on the riverbank opp. Spillers taking a few pics and I got talking to a chap there also taking photos.
It turns out he is the son of the late Bob Duggan, this came to light when he mentioned his dad worked for Steenberg, Durham Chemicals, and others.I think we may have a new contributor very soon. Regards kevmac47.

That was good to read Kev, wonder if he has some old pics of motors and his dad he might put on here! Franky.

Frankydobo:
Small world isn’t it? I was on the riverbank opp. Spillers taking a few pics and I got talking to a chap there also taking photos.
It turns out he is the son of the late Bob Duggan, this came to light when he mentioned his dad worked for Steenberg, Durham Chemicals, and others.I think we may have a new contributor very soon. Regards kevmac47.

That was good to read Kev, wonder if he has some old pics of motors and his dad he might put on here! Franky.

Franky, I heard from Graham again yesterday, he has registered on the site and is waiting for it to come through. He is searching out some old photos relevent to his dad and will be posting them shortly. By the way he was impressed with you poetry. Does anyone remember that Bob Duggan was well known for his monologues? They were very funny and usually
quite rude :unamused: I think Bob got many a free pint for his efforts. regards Kev

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Sorry I dont remember that, this is what I remeber

Further along than that :slight_smile:

Lawrence Dunbar:
I been having another think about what you said, Its possible they had on of the old sheds, near the Swirle perhaps.

Where abouts is the swirle?

bumper:
hi lads, Frazer brothers had a few sheds over there time on the quayside,starting with one near the ouseburn then as the sheds got dismantled moved back along the quay finishing in the last two sheds beside spillers

This is how I remember it (but I’m easily confused :blush: ) You crossed the little bridge over the Ouseburn & went along to that section where it’s all marked out with white lines & there were some big long sheds a couple were occupied by scrapmen then you passed them & Frazers was facing you just before Spillers but I could have it completely wrong :unamused: he used to segregate the cars in rows of make & model, I remember getting some front wings off a 100E Ford in there…It closed down & disappeared altogether & soon after that the long sheds went & those yards moved round to Stepney Bank or thereabouts
Does that sound right or is it all in my imagination? :unamused: :laughing:

2Diesels:

Lawrence Dunbar:

The Swirle is just past the old Newcastle Co-op building which was originally their tea warehouse, directley behind the old soap works, Thomas Hedley(P&G). the Swirle Cafe must have been named after the Swirle in the Tyne which was a whirlpool motion, which I was told had some thing to do with water running into the River through a large drain, hence the eddy type motion, The cafe was next door to the Union Cold Store, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

2Diesels:

Lawrence Dunbar:

the old Newcastle Co-op building which was originally their tea warehouse, directley behind the old soap works, Thomas Hedley(P&G). next door to the Union Cold Store

Oh you mean next to the swirle :unamused: Pfff! you’ve completely lost me, I’m only a puppy you know :laughing: :laughing:

2Diesels:

Lawrence Dunbar:

2Diesels:

Lawrence Dunbar:

the old Newcastle Co-op building which was originally their tea warehouse, directley behind the old soap works, Thomas Hedley(P&G). next door to the Union Cold Store

Oh you mean next to the swirle :unamused: Pfff! you’ve completely lost me, I’m only a puppy you know :laughing: :laughing:

I will explain it in more detail later on today, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
I will explain it in more detail later on today, Regards Larry

Thanks Larry, just trying to place where things are/were so I get a better understanding of it all when I read these threads :slight_smile:

The Swirle. If you imagine standing on the Quay beside the Millenium Br. with your back to the Tyne Br. on your left is the old co-op tea warehouse which still has their name on it move a little bit down river & the Swirle was an eddy type whirlpool caused by a large flow of water running down a drain into the river, The Swirle Cafe was on the corner next door to the Union Cold Store, on the left… Sadley a lot of old street names have gone. Regards Larry PS, I have some more photos of the Quay someware ill have a search for them.

Ahhhh I’m with you now thanks Larry :slight_smile:

2Diesels:
Ahhhh I’m with you now thanks Larry :slight_smile:

Any time 2D.Regards Larry

So the CO-OP warehouse must be what’s now that poshe hotel just before the pitcher & piano…Oh & I’ve been digging & I’ve found the name Swirle on that little cut through road/path from the Quay up to St Anne’s rd. sound right??