Newby driver needs advice

Hi all
I stumbled on this site while trying to find out if anyone else has had this problem before , I have just started the process of gaining my class 2 an about 1 month ago i paid for a package deal , The LGV training center helped me fill in the forms for my provisional class 2 and did my medical form , They sent the forms off , This was just over 1 month ago , After 2 weeks i got a letter from DVLA saying they was satisfied with my medical for but the Traffic Commissioner had the final say if i was to be granted a class 2 provisional , I have a clean licence now but when i was younger and stupid i had a few bans and points , They are all over 15 years old and i guess my question is this , Will the traffic commissioner be able to see my spent convictions and am i been penalized for my past , Its been way over the time limit and i still haven,t received my licence.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Welcome to TNUK…

A few bans?

That doesn’t sound good. I think you’ll just have to wait for the outcome. No one here can second guess what a TC will say or do.

Its because you’ve been banned from driving more than once. You’ve done something bad enough to get your licence taken from you on multiple occasions, your driving history precedes you so naturally its going to be an uphill battle. What would most likely happen is either someone at the TC office will make the decision whether or not to grant you that vocational licence, or you may get summoned for an interview where you can fight your case.

A vocational licence is much easier to lose compared to your regular car one, you are held to a much higher standard. That being said, they are old and you’ve since kept your nose clean which would stand in your favour as saying that you’ve learnt from your mistakes and taken action to avoid getting any more.

They don’t let just anyone have a HGV licence ya know.

Oh wait…

OVLOV JAY:
They don’t let just anyone have a HGV licence ya know.

Oh wait…

Did you
Order some
Zebras in
Yellow

TY for the replies
It seems to me that spent convictions that are well over 15 years old are not spent then , Even though they are off the licence and it is clean they must still keep a record of your driving history and penalize you for that , I will post the outcome for any others that find themselves in this position , I just hope that i can get a refund if i am denied the provisional

pickster1:
TY for the replies
It seems to me that spent convictions that are well over 15 years old are not spent then , Even though they are off the licence and it is clean they must still keep a record of your driving history and penalize you for that , I will post the outcome for any others that find themselves in this position , I just hope that i can get a refund if i am denied the provisional

I think penalize is a bit strong at this point mate, let’s wait and see what the decision is first!

What you need to remember is that if they didn’t do these sort of checks, and some reprobate (not saying you) went and repeated past infraction that lead to those bans in a 44t truck, the papers would have a field day and crucify the TC.

So hang fire on assuming you’re going to get turned down pal, just accept that due process needs to be followed…

Personally if they are 15 years ago and you’ve been clean since, I think you’ve shown you’ve learnt and should be given a chance.

So best of luck mate! :smiley:

Like others gave said nobody here can guess what the TC will do or if they’re bothered about driving offences from 15 years ago if you’ve kept your licence clean in the meantime.
Personally I’d hope they’d think you’ve matured a bit, although it might be considered that having a mature attitude should disqualify from holding an HGV licence :laughing:

Stick around this forum for long enough and you’ll see why.

I like to think i have a little more common sense that some of these drivers haha

youtube.com/watch?v=dDhRlQ89EvE

personally I would find out which TC is handling your case and phone them,then you could ask them[politely] why it’s taking so long and see if they have an answer,i would if it was me

pickster1:
Hi all
I stumbled on this site while trying to find out if anyone else has had this problem before , I have just started the process of gaining my class 2 an about 1 month ago i paid for a package deal , The LGV training center helped me fill in the forms for my provisional class 2 and did my medical form , They sent the forms off , This was just over 1 month ago , After 2 weeks i got a letter from DVLA saying they was satisfied with my medical for but the Traffic Commissioner had the final say if i was to be granted a class 2 provisional , I have a clean licence now but when i was younger and stupid i had a few bans and points , They are all over 15 years old and i guess my question is this , Will the traffic commissioner be able to see my spent convictions and am i been penalized for my past , Its been way over the time limit and i still haven,t received my licence.

Thanks in advance for any replies

the following Websites may offer you an insight into the powers that the TC has. The second website gives a Table that shows the scale of Disclosure required under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. It says 1974 in the Link but it is the latest 2014 info.

/Increased Scrutiny of Driver Conduct | Croner-i

hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/ … ct-1974-2/

I imagine the response from the TC will largely depend on what the bans and points were for, if the offences were reasonably modest I doubt it will stop you getting your provisional licence, on the other hand a couple of bans for something like drink driving or dangerous driving ec’t could mean you having to convince the TC that you’ve changed your ways.

TY for the links Maigret , very informative ,

All my naughtiness was between the ages of 15 to 20 (im 46 now) mostly for riding motorbikes without insurance ( i couldn,t just stick to the field ) then after been banned i was in trouble for driving whilst banned , in between that time i,ve since had a few speeding points from the dreaded cameras but nothing in the last 15 years

time will tell i guess , hopefully the TC will have mercy on me

Your comparative youth at the time will possibly carry some weight. It would likely be different if you had done this sort of thing in your 30s.

Tell the TC that you have lots of children,this may possibly swing things in your favour :wink:

Just a quick update , having phoned round dvla and the TC office , I finally got the bottom of it , DVLA had sent it to the TC because of old convictions , having spoke with the TC today they have granted me the licence :slight_smile:

pickster1:
Just a quick update , having phoned round dvla and the TC office , I finally got the bottom of it , DVLA had sent it to the TC because of old convictions , having spoke with the TC today they have granted me the licence :slight_smile:

Goods news, now you have the licence do everything possible to keep it, i.e, no speeding or any other naughties. Good luck with the training.