Newbie's Easy Start

Hi all,

I am a 50 year old Computer/Network Analyst with a Degree in Computer Sciences who just got pretty fed-up with his job. Work related stress and some fairly stupid idiots to work with put me in hospital and I thought it is about time to make a change in life. So, why driving a lorry and get my hands dirty? Well, it is a job I wanted to do when I was a kid and it is a job that doesn’t involve dealing with people. Some may say the amount of money I am going to lose in earnings as a trucker is plain daft but hey, money isn’t everything and you can earn a decent living even as a trucker.

Okay, I have just passed my Class-II (C) test and managed to get a job with one of my local haulage firms straight away.

I was first placed onto a 7.5 tonne Daewoo :frowning: but progressed fairly quickly to a 18-Tonne Volvo FH220 :stuck_out_tongue: . Actually a dream to drive in which I have to do between 6 - 10 drop-offs a day and 3 - 4 Pick-ups.

I am now waiting to do my Class-I (C+E) Test soon which will bring me onto Articulated Lorries to do International work. I followed this forum for quite some time now and am impressed how it is run and how helpfull the Forum-Members (YOU) are. I am sure that I have some questions in future that you will get to answer for me.

May I wish all other “Newbie’s” a similar good start and plenty of good luck for their very future.

Talk to you all soon.

Welcome to TruckNet RoadSailor.

You’ll find you’re one of many to ditch IT for truck driving, myself included. I’ve been at it just over a year now and so far no regrets.

Paul

Welcome to trucknet Roadsailor :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
You should fit in just nicel, there are more degrees in computers, driving trucks than there are in IT! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to TruckNet UK RoadSailor :smiley: .
Also congratulations on the class 2 test
pass and job. All the best with class 1

Welcome to Trucknet Roadsailor :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve also been browsing this forum for a while now & find the members to be very friendly, helpful & supportive. :slight_smile:
I’m been considering leaving my job for a good while now & thought I may try the hgv path.
I’ve just found out that they are offering an early seperation package in my work, so I’m very tempted to take the money & start my training.
I’ve gotta admit though that now it’s time to make the jump, I’m pretty scared :open_mouth:
Especially as I nipped out in work today to get some fresh air & there was a hgv unloading & I thought ‘bloody size of that!..’
I then started having second thoughts about whether I’ve got then nerve to drive one!!

Markymark:
I’ve also been browsing this forum for a while now & find the members to be very friendly, helpful & supportive. :slight_smile:
I’m been considering leaving my job for a good while now & thought I may try the hgv path.
I’ve just found out that they are offering an early seperation package in my work, so I’m very tempted to take the money & start my training.
I’ve gotta admit though that now it’s time to make the jump, I’m pretty scared :open_mouth:
Especially as I nipped out in work today to get some fresh air & there was a hgv unloading & I thought ‘bloody size of that!..’
I then started having second thoughts about whether I’ve got then nerve to drive one!!

One sure way to find out if your suited or it suits you. Pick a good training school with a Truck that is towing a box or curtainsider, no flats, no minimum spec vehicles. Book an Assessment, that way you get to experience one first hand and you will get an objective view of your ability from an experienced Trainer. In the end its up to you but at least you can them make a decision based on fact not feeling, don’t be put off and don’t doubt yourself without trying it. Good luck.