Newbie.

Hey all I’m Tom from Leeds. Looking in to taking my HGV class 1 test this year. I’m 22 currently working for a couiror firm using a 3.5t crafter. Love been on the road and tramping in the uk and Europe.

Going to use this site for information on getting started, good companies ect.

A couple of quick questions…

I’m 22 would this effect the chances of a company employing me? With insurance ect

I’ve looked on the job centre website at HGV jobs and 50% state you need 2 years experience before they will employ you. Is this with all company’s? Agency work?

Cheers

You’ve made a good start by coming on here first to get opinions. You will probably have considerable difficulty as you will come up against the “two years experience rule” which is applied by the vast majority of companies and agencies. It’s not impossible though as others have proved. The key factors are the level of lgv vacanies in your area combined with applying yourself rigorously to the task of finding that employer who will give you a start. You might also want to look for a firm that runs heavies as well as vans, might make it easier to switch over then. You won’t find anybody beating a path to your door!

If you decide to go for your LGV then I would consider going all the way to C+E ASAP. If you only do cat C initially then leave it a while before doing C+E then the “two years experience rule” will rear it’s ugly head again. Time spent on rigids is irrelevant to most employers.

Tom-C:
I’m 22 would this effect the chances of a company employing me? With insurance ect

I’ve looked on the job centre website at HGV jobs and 50% state you need 2 years experience before they will employ you. Is this with all company’s? Agency work?

Cheers

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again ~ I’m 18 and currently driving a 24t Class 2 bin lorry. It will be slightly harder to find work but never give up and never settle for anything less.

44 Tonne Ton:
You’ve made a good start by coming on here first to get opinions. You will probably have considerable difficulty as you will come up against the “two years experience rule” which is applied by the vast majority of companies and agencies. It’s not impossible though as others have proved. The key factors are the level of lgv vacanies in your area combined with applying yourself rigorously to the task of finding that employer who will give you a start. You might also want to look for a firm that runs heavies as well as vans, might make it easier to switch over then. You won’t find anybody beating a path to your door!

If you decide to go for your LGV then I would consider going all the way to C+E ASAP. If you only do cat C initially then leave it a while before doing C+E then the “two years experience rule” will rear it’s ugly head again. Time spent on rigids is irrelevant to most employers.

I’ve wrote down around 25 company that I know of around Leeds and west Yorkshire. My plan is to ring them up and ask if they as a company take on younger drivers. Am I right in thinking I can take my C then C+E straight away?

The company I work for at the moment have 4 7.5t curtain siders, would driving 1 of these be classed as expirence?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again ~ I’m 18 and currently driving a 24t Class 2 bin lorry. It will be slightly harder to find work but never give up and never settle for anything less.

I know it’s possible my mate works for a company doing skips and he is also 18. But ideally I want to be doing long distance haulage on nights. I understand that I’ll have to do the not so desirable work first to gain experience.

Don’t let your lack of experience put you off.
I have been driving for a living since 1987 and no one has experience to begin with.
Someone will give you a shot if you sell yourself properly.
In this industry a young eager and enthusiastic employee can often be more appealing to an employer than a jaded veteran.
Ignore the 2 yrs exp rule and go for the jobs anyway if you sell yourself well enough you will probably find someone will give you your break.
Good Luck.
Oh yes C then CE straight away no problem with that.

slow2run:
Don’t let your lack of experience put you off.
I have been driving for a living since 1987 and no one has experience to begin with.
Someone will give you a shot if you sell yourself properly.
In this industry a young eager and enthusiastic employee can often be more appealing to an employer than a jaded veteran.
Ignore the 2 yrs exp rule and go for the jobs anyway if you sell yourself well enough you will probably find someone will give you your break.
Good Luck.
Oh yes C then CE straight away no problem with that.

I thought the 2 year experience was for insurance purposes? In fact most say “must have held licence for 2 years” not 2 years experience. I’ve been told that reed broadall take on younger drivers?

Anyone know if I can gain experience from driving a 7.5toner?

Just got my application for the my provisional and will be booking a medical in the next week or so. Well if I find the time anyway I’m off to N.I later for 3 days delivering to asda in my crafter.

Tom-C:

slow2run:

Afraid this will not help much - as has been previously said, it is normally 2 years of holding the relevant licence that matters. Some employers also ask for proof of a certain numbers of days driving that class of vehicle, often 180 days.

As an aside, you may also find that your 7.5 tonne experience makes it a bit harder to pass the Class 2 test. Some 7.5 tonne drivers tend to be overconfident and a lot of the training time is spent ‘slowing them down’ to a test standard.

Alan

OnlyAlan:

Tom-C:

slow2run:

Afraid this will not help much - as has been previously said, it is normally 2 years of holding the relevant licence that matters. Some employers also ask for proof of a certain numbers of days driving that class of vehicle, often 180 days.

As an aside, you may also find that your 7.5 tonne experience makes it a bit harder to pass the Class 2 test. Some 7.5 tonne drivers tend to be overconfident and a lot of the training time is spent ‘slowing them down’ to a test standard.

Alan

I can’t drive a 7.5t on my current licence. I was thinking once I had done my C+E licence I can drive a 7.5t at my current employer for a few months to gain “experience” then when applying for class 1 jobs I can I’ve had my licence for 2 years and have 2 years experience in a 7.5t wagon?

Or just go for it without the 7.7t experience?

Tom-C:

OnlyAlan:

Tom-C:

slow2run:

Alan

I can’t drive a 7.5t on my current licence. I was thinking once I had done my C+E licence I can drive a 7.5t at my current employer for a few months to gain “experience” then when applying for class 1 jobs I can I’ve had my licence for 2 years and have 2 years experience in a 7.5t wagon?

Or just go for it without the 7.7t experience?

Oops, sorry - I obviously didn’t understand the question. :blush:
Now I do understand, well… my answer is still much the same as far as experience goes. 7.5 tonne isn’t likely to count as category C experience.
What I came up against was: “You need 2 years experience” (i.e. 2 years of holding the C licence). This was from both agencies and employers.
I did, however, find both agencies and employers who would accept me without this experience, so it is far from an absolute rule.

As has already been said, your attitude, appearance and enthusiasm are of more value to some employers that 50 years driving experience.
These forums are full of stories about experienced drivers who cannot get work and inexperienced drivers who can and do.

In short, get your licence and then make yourself busy, available, pro-active and well known. That will bring more results than a shed-full of ‘experience’.
All the best
Alan

When you do decide to go for that all important licence use a training company & not a Broker

Gaining experience on a 7.5t may assist in the fact you will be on tach so using EU rules for hours etc but may not help in other areas as has been said

Another note is you are young 22 a lot like over 25 due to insurance purposed although not always

I gotr my class 2 job 3 days after passing my test, just called in at a local firm and asked, started the next day, that was 18 months ago, although i am older, 38 at the time, and i come from a farming back ground which they said helped as i had some experience of driving larger machinery on the road ?

Follow the advice on here, I must have done 8am to 7pm ish everyday and that’s not counting the work online looking for agencies and companies to plan my route for the next days jobhunting for a week and a half but it pays off, you will get work in the end, I have and so have others on here. Go meet people, not by post, don’t believe agencies and think you’ve cracked it and therefore stop looking, don’t get down and be put off by all the knockbacks, only you know how much you want this. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the best and good luck

Rich