Hi all,

Im looking at getting out of my current job and to become a professional driver. Now, my driver training is pretty much sorted as i am in the TA and the army are sorting it all out. I’ve just completed a 5 day Cat C course which i passed with 3 minors on the 4th day (pretty pleased with that, lol).
I am booked in for my C+E next month which is what my regiment need me to hold as the army class their vehicles differently than what they would be for civilian firms. Now basically i am good to go driving as i am for them but I’m not sure if anything is needed if i was to drive full time for my ‘proper’ job. I’ve sent off and recieved my digital tacho, Is there anything else i need. sorry if i sound a bit thick.

Welcome to the mad house

Have a good look round & a read of this site 1st

As you will be regulated if you go driving full time with tacho laws ( they are on here will find link as you will need to know them ) but be careful as there are a lot of drivers out there new & experienced looking ( although not impossible ) but the army dont have a good rep on civviy street btw & your experience will not normally count out there

"This is my past experience with former army drivers " they carnt reverse ( due to banksman used ) they have very little experience of trailer breaks your lorry is not always loaded for you you dont stop at 12.30 cause it is your lunch if you only started at 11.00

Yep the list can go on

Dont be afraid to ask a question but remember you may not like the answer

A copy of this may help

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … s_0511.pdf

Thanks, animal i will look, I’ve not done much LGV driving, just Dafs on short runs (only just received my C) like i say the army class these as needing a C license whereas on ‘civie street’ they would be C1. Im not in the regs, its the TA the army paid for my training but it was done by a civilian training firm. all my regt want me to have it for is to basically be able to pull the guns to the training areas and back while in convoy.

Hopefully if i can get the chance to drive i can learn on the job and not pick up any of the habits, but total ly understand where your coming from with the bad reputation point. Hopefully i can get on that 1st rung of the ladder like any new civilian drivers and start driving full time because i really thing its time for a change i9n my full time civie job

If you can register with some agencies & see if you can get some work that way but remember you will only be able to work 1 day a fortnight ( this is because of the rest period you will need )

Good luck with it

Depends when you passed your car licence :question: as you will need either the initial or periodic dcpc

I will need the periodic dcpc, dows this need to be done staright away or can you start driving without it gaining experiance and then do it?

So long as you complete 35 hours before Sept 2014 you will be able to drive commercially after that date, but until then you can drive with the grandfather rights on your license.

Dean