Hi everyone, great forum, just passed my class c in december :smiley: got licence back,need to apply for jobs have only got experience in cars,sprinter van and luton van but not multi drop any ideas for best optoins.?
thnks

Bugade:
Hi everyone, great forum, just passed my class c in december :smiley: got licence back,need to apply for jobs have only got experience in cars,sprinter van and luton van but not multi drop any ideas for best optoins.?
thnks

Depends on were you based as to what is the best option. Agencies are always a good bet to introduce you to the world of trucks and mulit drop < primarly class 2 work. Obv I am not saying that this is what you want to do but tends to be the mainstay. avoid frozen food likes of Brakes and 3663 as they just take the zb in my opinionā€¦ Other than that look in local rag or book and ring around a few many will come up with the 2 yrs experience but there will be one that will take a chance on you (might have to go for an assesment drive first) Or if all else fails get on your boots and knock on some doors to see if anyone needs drivers.,be prepared for early starts and long hoursā€¦ In addtion i

If you go down the agency route make it clear what you expect from them for ex if you dont want weekends or nights out or early starts/cant work certain days of the week. Also make sure that if you dont want to be rung at some stupid time in the morning asking you to get to a place you havent even heard of ASAP.(it happens frequantly if you let it) you tell them. And make sure you know when you get paid after completing the job. They need to make a living by putting bums on seats but at the end of the day you are doing them a favour not the other way round and its you who is driving the truck not them. On another point make sure you sign up with at least 3 agencies dont just wait for the 1 to provide you with work - doesnt happen like that.
I have nothing but praise for Driver Hire pay is poor but always treated me fine. < there is usualy a branch in most major towns,remember that they are franchised so each one is different some good some badā€¦

There is loads that I could advise you but best way is to learn by your own mistakes and then come on here if you need further advice/clarification

Anyway Good luck :smiley:

If it needs stars its not allowed animal

Whereabouts are you? I know a few places by me that will take inexperienced drivers and from what you have said you have got a fair bit of driving experience albeit in smaller vehicles.

hi thanks am based in enfield north london,thanks for your advice will get on it

Agencies are a good place to start but please remember that agency staff are salespeople and their job is to supply their clients with drivers when they need them - it is not their job to find you work.

Welcome to the forums

Why not try the Industrial estate dow in Enfeild there are a few company down there such as Bestways Greggs Icland etc

I presume you passed your test with one of the schools thast use the Enfield Test Centre.
The best thing to do would be to ask the owner of the school if they have any liason with a local driving agency.
I know one or two schools in the Enfield area work with local agencies there so they may be able to put you forward.

IIRC from when i was in your position a few years back

Arla - north circ, Pickfords - Southbury Road, 3663 - Enfield, JJ foods - Enfield will all take new passes through agency :wink:

If you donā€™t want multidrop, you could try looking at tippers.
Yes you are doing several loads a day but usually they are full loads each time

(I say usually cos I did have a couple of ā€œsplit tipsā€ over a year)

Failing that you could look at sewage tankers. Again did the job on agency and it was an absolute doddle. Most people run a mile when you mention sewage.

Or you could look at plant hire companies, 6 or 8 wheel rigid, may get 2 small items of plant on at a time, hence 2 drops.

Just a few ideas