Thinking of starting out with an 18 tonne curtain sider for small haulage work as i have heard theres a good bit of work out there just now?? Any tips i am a bit put off with the whole operators licence rigmarole! Any tips will b much appreciated :smiley:

My top tip would be research, research and more research. If the whole o licence rigmarole puts you off I’d politely suggest that you have little idea of the realities of owning and operating an LGV beyond watching maybe a few re runs of Stobbies Trucks and Trailers.

Not meaning to be harsh mate, but the reality is a million miles away from “the dream”.

Thanks for the input! I have been researching and still think it would be worth while! I just meant the dvsa seem to be more interested in putting you off than helping! I have most things in place at the moment was hoping for a few tips on start up! And i am not as naive as thinking watching a couple a programmes on the tv to make my life decisions! if that was the case a would have wanted to be bitten by a spider years ago and call myself peter parker!

I like you! If only for the Peter Parker reason. I spent hours as a kid trying to get bitten by one too! :smiley: :smiley:

Seriously though, if you want to go for it then who am I to ■■■■ on your bonfire? If you’re anything like me then the more someone says you can’t do something the more you’re determined to do it! Do you have prior experience as an employee in haulage? If you do then maybe your idea isn’t as hare brained as at first it appeared :smiley: . I will reiterate the research bit though mate, identify your potential market and customers, it’s vital that you know in advance your costs (overheads) so that you can price accordingly. A true saying is “anybody can be a busy fool” so quote to make profit not break even.

Good luck anyway.

Yes my fathers been in the game for years but works for the man so i am looking to gain from his old head and some who are more wise in the new game! And profits the game breaking even doesnt even come close to the answer thank you for your help hopefully be back in touch soon with some better news any more tips are much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Smurfyboy2009:
Thanks for the input! I have been researching and still think it would be worth while! I just meant the dvsa seem to be more interested in putting you off than helping!

Personally, I found that the DVSA (or VOSA as it was then) were very helpful when I was starting out, in fact one piece of advice I would give is to phone them as soon as your application goes in, find out who your case worker is and then establish a rapport with him/her. They don’t mind chatting with you, in fact they welcome it.

As to whether you should or shouldn’t do it then that’s something only you can decide, but in my experience it’s the things you don’t do that you regret in later life, not the things you do do, even if those things don’t work out quite how you planned.

I wouldn’t hold myself up as an expert by any means, but I’ve managed to bimble along for the last three years, and I’m pretty much where I expected to be when I started out. I haven’t made a fortune but then I never expected to. I don’t regret it, not for a minute despite the trials and tribulations along the way. In fact, on my death bed, I will look back on it as one of the best things I ever did.

If you need more specific advice, then ask, I’m sure we will help if we can.

Thanks harry sounds like thats the path i will go down get in touch with the case worker! Any more tips as in best trucks? My biggest option i am not great on own or lease? :confused:

Smurfyboy2009:
Thanks harry sounds like thats the path i will go down get in touch with the case worker! Any more tips as in best trucks? My biggest option i am not great on own or lease? :confused:

There just isn’t an answer to that question. I know people who have operated trucks for 30+ years who will argue with each other about whether it is best to own or lease a truck. It depends on your business plan to a large degree.

Similarly the question of “What make of truck?” A Renault or an Iveco will cost less to buy compared to a Volvo or a Scania but will be worth less when you come to sell it. Nobody can say what would be best for you. There isn’t a “best answer” to a lot of the questions you will have.

There are some specific things to which there is a definitive answer, and some that there aren’t. Nobody here can give you a foolproof business plan. At the end of the day, a lot of it will be up to you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again harry for your wise words! And a guess some things are just trial and error! :laughing:

Unless you have a regular or niche job lined up the 4 wheeler curtainsider is not the best lorry to start out with ,they’re mainly used on own goods ,pallet network and not general haulage .

Yes there is few regular jobs not too far either so thats what put me in the mind for it! Some long distance available too for the 4 wheelers! Regular also! Just the initial start up! Anyway the bls rolling with the operators licence cant see there being too much grief there… :sunglasses: