Newbie work in January

Hello to you all,

I got some good advice in a post I made regarding brokers / training centres which helped and decided to re think how I wanted to go about my training. I’ve now booked my class 2 training in October and hope to be passed come November. The training is with Robinson’s in Purfleet, not sure if anyone has heard of them? Anyway my concern is that although I’m fairly confident I will find work come November what with Xmas on the horizon, I’m worried that come January I will struggle as a new driver with next to no experience. I live in Essex which I know is a busy area for transport opportunities but still there’s that uncertainty of not knowing. The alternative would be that I stay in my current job (office work) until things pick up again but I would really rather not!

Guess I’m just looking for some advice/ reassurance/ other people’s experiences.

Thank you - can’t wait to get started :smiley:

bump :smiley:

Could try and get in a company where their work is not as seasonal as others. E.g food service.

Work is on the way up

I had a phone call from an agency I registered with a long time ago never phoned until yesterday asked if I was working which I am then asked if I knew any drivers to let them know bout him they are inundated with work this month

But you could do your CE which will open more doors for you ( it did for me a lot more )

Thanks for the replies. The food service option is one I’ve been thinking of but then again if the company are over staffed aafter Xmas I imagine the less experienced drivers will be out the door first.

Definitely will be looking to do c+e but won’t be able to fund it until at least Feb / March time.

Considering getting on the agency books as soon as I’m qualified in class 2.

Agency is the best bet to get money rolling in and experience in different companies, and whilst your doing that you can look and apply for full time roles. Agency can get you on temp to perm if you ask which is 12 weeks agency then possibly a full time job after.

hi
I am at the same stage as Ogi also and am also in quandry about getting work before xmas and then laid off after…but i guess us newbies won’t know until we make the leap of faith…for me i am confident is=n getting work but having to give 1 months notice will put agencies off so will have to jump without promise of a job…

Thanks mrginge sounds like a plan.

Yeh the 1 months notice certainly makes things a bit tricky. Think I’m going to give the agencies a call just before I hand it in to see what opportunities they have available. Alot of people on here have said work is on the up so I’m hopeful it won’t cause too much of a headache.

The other option is stay in your full time job & work in your time off when you can you may get a better feel for it

Dont believe everything the agencies tell you mind

Noted, thanks for the advice animal