Newbie with a class 2

Hi all my name is Tom new to the forum and recently passed my class 2 I’m 49yrs old so been late in life to take this up as a career but this what I want to do for the latter part of my working life long distance nights out ect done a little of accompanying friends who are distance drivers in years gone by and enjoyed it but never took the plunge as I have a full time job with my local council for the last million years steady income over ambition
but determined to do this I also understand that class 1 opens more doors but just shelled out a small fortune for my class 2 anyway I do very small amount of hgv on the councils sweeper lorry to get a wee bit of experience and its left hand drive with auto box just need a little or a lot of advice on how to make the transition into the transport business with no experience who’s going to let you loose on their kit with no experience I live in the Ayrshire area 25 miles south of Glasgow so any advice is very welcome or PM me i have been to a few local companies and spoke to the TM and left my cv and hopefully may move into this business in the future thx to anyone who reads this long winded spiel and to anyone who gives advice cheers

If council job is mon to fri then how about trying for agency work one day every other weekend :bulb:

Just keep doing what you’re doing. Ring any one and every one with a lorry and ask if they’ve work, or ask if they need cover at short notice.

You’ll be given bugger all unless you ask

good luck buddy :smiley:

i would want to get some use out of the class 2 for a while before spending any more and see if it’s for you,it’s different sitting and watching and doing it yourself,see if you enjoy it first.

ROG:
If council job is mon to fri then how about trying for agency work one day every other weekend :bulb:

Yer thx Rog visited a local company spoke to their TM and and he was impressed I knocked on his door rather than phone or e-mail said he preferred face to face was old school by the look of him left my cv don’t know if anything will come of it but you never know Rog cheers for reply m8

big boots:
good luck buddy :smiley:

i would want to get some use out of the class 2 for a while before spending any more and see if it’s for you,it’s different sitting and watching and doing it yourself,see if you enjoy it first.

Yer hoping that will be the case land a wee break and see what happens from there happy enough to have passed my class 2 as this was a wee ambition of mine for a good few years especially at my age cheers for the reply m8

Whereabouts in Ayrshire? :laughing: look around glespin for a guy called billy ( can’t remember his surname ) :unamused: he’s a couple of artics pal! :sunglasses: welcome to the site by the way :smiley: or BTW :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:
Whereabouts in Ayrshire? :laughing: look around glespin for a guy called billy ( can’t remember his surname ) :unamused: he’s a couple of artics pal! :sunglasses: welcome to the site by the way :smiley: or BTW :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m in the Kilmarnock area not much around these parts willing to look further afield as I said in my post I have a full time job at mo but will move into the business at some point
Cheers m8

There’s a guy on here called Sam Millar. He’s from Killie I think. Might be worth a try sending him a PM to see if he knows anyone around your area looking for drivers.

damoq:
There’s a guy on here called Sam Millar. He’s from Killie I think. Might be worth a try sending him a PM to see if he knows anyone around your area looking for drivers.

Yer thanks I may actually know the family more his brother if its the same family I’m thinking of cheers m8 thanks for the reply