Newbie trying again

hi i have found my way to this forum which ive been reading through for the last couple days and now i should introduce myself and i have some questions for you all :laughing:

been driving C for the last year or so after passing my test first attempt but c and e was alaways my job aim which is where it all went wrong, i have now failed the test 3 times. i did c test with sterling and i have seen them slagged off on the forum a bit but first time round i thought they were fine, instructor was excellent, name was john turner but hes now left the company. my c + e instructor i dont think was anywhere near as good and i failed 2 times then i tryed with a smaller company in bognor this time in a wagon and drag and failed again this time on reversing which i passed on the previous 2 tests :angry:

i gave up for 6 months and now i have the money to try again, i think getting c and e license is bordering on an obssession to me now…

i am looking at a guaranteed pass because of my history of failing, i dont know why its happening as i passed c first time and have been driving them for a year and never had a bad accident so i think im areasonabley good driver

so i am deciding who to train with, stirling and qualitas do garuanteed pass, are they for real? will they really give you unlimited attempts or would they rather give that test slot to another trainee who is paying for it and keep delaying your retest untill weeks later for example
people are mostly saying good things about qualitas on here so i am leaning to them at the moment

also i think i have found a way to get 20% discount off any driving training, but i will try it for myself and see if it works for sure before i share it with you all

Welcome

Have sent you a PM (Private Message)
Can be accessed by clicking on “you have 1 new message” at top of page.
Do not mean to infer you are THICK - noticed you are new to forum.

I passed my test third time.

Was with the same school for both my classes (Tyne and Wear LGV) I know you cant use them because of distance and all that.

Easy for me to say, but don’t give up. I felt like it, glad I didn’t, just annoying me now Im still on rigids!

All the best.

rog pm me asking why i failed but im happy to share any experiences

well, first time out test was terrible, got a D when i knocked down one of those plastic bollards next to a mini roundabout. i know this sounds like making excuses and blaming someone else but… instructor (who by the way had never worked as a lorry driver) during my 4 days training was constantly talking me through in minute detail eg. “forward, abit more, now swing it hard left, ok now staighten up” , like that he never stopped and i feel like i had no idea of the concept of driving an artic and what line you should take etc. when he wasnt there on the test i came to the mini roundabout and just looked at it in panic,i had no idea waht to do, it was so tight like a swan neck turn. also got 2 Serious for hitting kerbs
deserved fail and nearly gave up

2nd test was more nervous and during retraining and was approaching roundabouts too slowly, instructor said speed up, on the test i went for a gap in trafic but a car came around and i forced him to slow so a serious there but much improved. however i was moving away from london shortly after so next time i took 2 days training with a local school this time in wagon drag and then jackknifed on the reverse and just couldnt get it to come back round, failed due to being out of control but on the driving section i just had a few minors
if i could have put the first reverse togehter with the 3rd test i would have my license now so gutted really

Nerves is obviously a big problem for most of us when we took the test so that has to be addressed.

Think like this, it’s only a test and if I fail I can do it again, and again till I pass.

One thing I can guarantee you is, YOU WILL PASS, if you have enough money to throw at it :wink:

yeah its true
thats why am gonna do unlimited retest option
that way i can keep going forever without throwing money at it!

bakerchris:
yeah its true
thats why am gonna do unlimited retest option
that way i can keep going forever without throwing money at it!

Not necessarily - as always, check the fine print before you sign “on the dotted line”.

Some schools place a limit on the number of retests, whilst others will lend you the truck for the test (but little or no extra training beforehand to get you “back in the saddle”), and they often won’t pay the test fee. Since the DSA test fee is somewhere approaching £100 AFAIR, you could still end up “throwing money at it” even under a “guaranteed pass” scheme.

Caveat Emptor.

Incidentally, where are you? Perhaps someone on here can recommend a school local to you that they passed with?

thanks for your input
i live in ilford essex/outer london

phoned qualitas this morning, they charge 900 pounds for 4 days training plus 400 pounds for letting you use the lorry for unlimited number of retests but i would pay the dsa fee. they said that on a retest day i would start at 8am and train all morning in time for an afternoon test and that i really could do as many as i need
they seem all right and dont do any hard sell on the phone, the strange thing is they won’t let me do a trial drive in the lorry. i have seen their vehicles around and they look modern, wagon and drag iveco i think
i’ll sleep on it and call tomorow, but i seems like a good deal

i have a choice of test centre, purfleet where i passed rigid, chelmsford where i’ve failed c+e and enfield where i’ve never tested but having worked in the area know my way around probably best of all
does anyone have a favourite from those?

bakerchris,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I too passed my class C first time with 2 minors and then I went into the C+E training thinking the test would be just as easy to pass…

I considered giving up after my 2nd attempt (See Training Diary) , both tests were failed on 1 serious with only a couple of minors.

I have decided to carry on though because when you add up what you have already spent you realise what a waste of money it would be if you don’t persevere.

I just have to save up again for another re-test. :blush:

Ian.