Newbie Tramper requires tips and advice

Hi all, I start with George Allinson Transport next monday as a tramper. I have never tramped before, just a few odd nights out, so I particulary welcome advice on kit for the cab, parking up, what to take with me, food etc.

Thanks, any tips would be greatly appreciated…

Wayne

Type it in the search facility and you will find hundreds of posts relating to this.

xfmatt:
Type it in the search facility and you will find hundreds of posts relating to this.

:unamused: another know it all :unamused:

So ngetting on to the fact that this is a forum for asking questions (even if they’ve been asked before :wink: ).

A lot will depend upon what the company you work for will pay. If they pay parking then you shouldn’t need too much, entertinment a must, night time pee receptical definately (depending on your age :laughing: ). If they don’t pay parking then you will need cooking facilities + stuff to make a brew and stuff to eat off (and stuff to eat0.

The more basic stuff should be washkit, and sleeping kit.

If you cab hop then keep it all to a minimum, if you get your own wagon then start with the basics and build up, basically if you have it at home and it will fit in your cab, theres no good reason not to have it (dishwasher and shower is a no-no :laughing:).

Another good idea depending on your knowledge of the hours regulations is to keep an upo to date copy of the regs, so that you can work out your hours to keep legal and, if possible get you home on a friday.

At the start, as long as you can eat drink and pee you should be ok, then you can build up.

It’s not a bad life good luck!

I think they do the Radius works from down near Alfreton (they also have other depot’s), used to see a lot of their lads in there because I loaded there every day.
Job looks a piece of ■■■■, I loaded into a curtainsider, but they had dedicated trailers for the big coils.

Find out if the company pays for parking, and if they do, is it only when loaded, that’ll help with parking. There’s apps for phones and POI’s for sat navs available, but also just keep your eye out and ask when you’re ready to park up, most people know the ‘decent’ places.

As for kit, all the obvious stuff, sheet, bedding, pillows, toiletry bag, spare clothes (plenty), PPE, baby wipes, kitchen roll, water (plenty) and then your comforts such as a stove, food, kettle, brewing stuff (I use 3 in 1’s), a cup (thermos insulated mugs are ideal) etc.
I also carry spare fuses and some basic tools and a swiss army style knife and a few beers - one a night helps me to sleep.

a double or king size quilt if you are substantial instead of a sleeping bag , fold it half and its much cosier for a week away . if you have to park up on laybys and have room, a 2 gallon water barrel, washing bowl( for cutlery and yourself ) i could never go to bed without a scrub up and teeth brush. tins of food,loads of fruit to eat …and what everyone else says… brew kit and cooker,pot and plate, cereal and a bowl.

Never ■■■■ in the wind…!

I’d say theres quite abit to learn when tramping, one of the best things to do is ask the other guys, your doing the right thing starting off doing a couple of nights to start with. If you can stay in services at first and then when you start getting the hang of it start sleeping on ind. estates then laybys. Wet wipes and a double duvet are probably the biggest musts.

for me same as above cooking kit washing kit, fridge, water, tv/ipad or laptop, i also used to use a single quilt and sheet rather than a sleeping bag made it feel more like being home!

have fun!

Immodium. Need I say more?

Surprised this one hasn’t been mentioned yet…wet wipes

Pimpdaddy:
Never ■■■■ in the wind…!

Unless you’re ■■■■■■■ away from wind then it turns :imp:

immodium
kettle
gas stove
internet dongle
laptop
power inverter
box of tissues

job done :wink:

Kitchen roll
Toilet roll
wash kit
clean clothes
cooker
kettle
mug / cup
cooking utensils
chopping board
cutlery
torch
spare gas for cooker
water
food
tea/coffee/sugar/milk
wet wipes
towel
tea towel for drying
washing up liquid

Tesco do Four different types of curry in tins and uncle bens do loads of different microwave rice so I heated me curry in a frying pan and the added the rice and heated that up and it’s makes a good feed and every night I just grabbed one of each out the cupboard without looking and I had a suprice each night,And I lost 2 stone in twelve months by just eating the above and no bread,Oh and DON’T forget loads of wet wipes and empty Tesco bags for after ya tea,

Pimpdaddy:
Never ■■■■ in the wind…!

Especially if your stood on the top step at 3am and the wind blows it back onto the drivers seat :blush:

peirre:

Pimpdaddy:
Never ■■■■ in the wind…!

Especially if your stood on the top step at 3am and the wind blows it back onto the drivers seat :blush:

Thought that was what the 5th wheel was for :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you’re a breadaholic like me,a few packets of supermarket Pitta breads are a must,usually got 3 or 4 week use by date.Dry fry in your pan before adding packet rice and Asda chicken vindaloo (£1.38 a tin )…heaven :sunglasses:
P.S. don’t forget loo roll :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

or another option is cook up at home and warm it up when your away i cook loads ie chilli and rice spag boll chicken n spuds all can be frozen and warmed up in a pan cheaper than buying and nicer than the crap on offer in services but as others have said have some tins with ya they can be a life saver if you ever get stuck

One of those “bags for life” from Waitrose.
Dont want to seen walking back to the lorry with a Lidl carrier bag after getting a few supplies :wink:

skids:
Surprised this one hasn’t been mentioned yet…wet wipes

It has you just havnt read all the posts :wink: