Newbie struggling with reversing.

Baggie:
Your back wheels are the key…if you can’t see them (or at least a mudguard ),then you will always struggle…it took an embarrassingly long time for this penny to drop for me :blush:

Ah right… Surely I’m instructor should have pointed this out at the very start!!!

Simmons84:

Tris:

Simmons84:
Thanks for the tips guys. I’ve been a car driver for years and never struggled with reversing that so god knows why it’s been such a ■■■■■ to pick up in a truck! I think part my the problem with reading some replies is the mirrors being set up wrong, I can’t see the back wheels at all through the mirrors.

Hmm, I don’t drive a ridgid so maybe you don’t see them in your mirrors, someone else will need to help on that one. But you can still poke your head out the window if you’re coming back round on that side.

I’ve tried the sticking my head out of the window trick but that doesn’t help, all I can see is the body of my truck, can’t see down the sides of it

Sounds like you’re judging it by the back of the truck, not the pivot point of your rear wheels. Even if you can’t see the wheels you should have a rough idea of the pivot point. So base your adjustments on that. So if for eg you’re reversing into a box at 45 degrees you might need to overshoot the box by 6 foot before locking it in.

Simmons84:
I’m also struggling to judge the lenghth and the picking the correct point in which to start turning to back in to miss the gate posts etc…

As others have said you’ll get used to the size with practice but something I worked out if it’s got a single axel at the rear then the trailer pivots round that wheel so if your turning to the left. The trailer behind that wheel will go left in front will go to the right.

Thanks for your tips, I’ll put this in to practise tomorrow and see if it helps out

bald bloke:
I’m not taking the ■■■■ but try this …marops.net/portfolio/trailer-reversing-game

Come on then who’s had a go and how long ? I went over the grass and took 50 seconds so I’m rubbish :blush:

Simmons84:

Baggie:
Your back wheels are the key…if you can’t see them (or at least a mudguard ),then you will always struggle…it took an embarrassingly long time for this penny to drop for me :blush:

Ah right… Surely I’m instructor should have pointed this out at the very start!!!

I passed my test whilst in the army,driving Bedford 4 tonners,short wheelbase,little overhang,and stonking great wheels :smiley: never seemed to have a problem back then.Driving “Full size” rigids,however,was a whole new ball game :unamused:

bald bloke:

bald bloke:
I’m not taking the ■■■■ but try this …marops.net/portfolio/trailer-reversing-game

Come on then who’s had a go and how long ? I went over the grass and took 50 seconds so I’m rubbish :blush:

Rushing the job . Remember your not a limper BB your a kept company man

Baggie:

Simmons84:

Baggie:

I passed my test whilst in the army,driving Bedford 4 tonners,short wheelbase,little overhang,and stonking great wheels :smiley: never seemed to have a problem back then.Driving “Full size” rigids,however,was a whole new ball game :unamused:

I took a 7.5tonner out one Saturday for a bit of overtime. Thought great this’ll be a doddle and bombed it down all the roads I’m normally not allowed to. Even had a Tesco 7.5t driver give me a little nod cos my vehicle was new and obviously impressed him. Then got to a mini roundabout and the bloody thing wouldn’t lock round it. Felt a right spaz having to do a shunt.

Tris:

Baggie:

Simmons84:

Baggie:

I took a 7.5tonner out one Saturday for a bit of overtime. Thought great this’ll be a doddle and bombed it down all the roads I’m normally not allowed to. Even had a Tesco 7.5t driver give me a little nod cos my vehicle was new and obviously impressed him. Then got to a mini roundabout and the bloody thing wouldn’t lock round it. Felt a right spaz having to do a shunt.

LMAO nice to know that happens to the best of us then

Simmons84:
Thanks for the tips guys. I’ve been a car driver for years and never struggled with reversing that so god knows why it’s been such a ■■■■■ to pick up in a truck! I think part my the problem with reading some replies is the mirrors being set up wrong, I can’t see the back wheels at all through the mirrors.

its the Driver who adjusts the Mirror (when start)

Immigrant:

Simmons84:

its the Driver who adjusts the Mirror (when start)

Yea I know, I’m not blaming anyone else but myself