Newbie struggling with reversing

Hi all,

I’m fairly new to the trucking with only having my class 2 license since December last year. I started my first driving job in the new year but I’m still struggling with with reversing. I just can’t seem to get the truck into the right positions especially at the depot, we have three bays and a yard we park the trucks in but it’s quite tight. I’ve took the passenger wing mirror off twice already :cry: . I’m also struggling to judge the lenghth and the picking the correct point in which to start turning to back in to miss the gate posts etc… If anyone has any pointers for me that would be amazing.

What an embarrassing post to write :blush: I’ll take man points of myself lol

breath in, take your time,all round observation,you will crack it in no time,

I found I had the same problem. I just got out to look a lot more than I do now and eventually I got the hang of it. Takes less time than the paperwork associated with knocking stuff off the truck.

Diversion2:
I found I had the same problem. I just got out to look a lot more than I do now and eventually I got the hang of it. Takes less time than the paperwork associated with knocking stuff off the truck.

Thanks man, I feel the pressure from other road users too, the road our yard is on is very narrow and happens to be very busy

Simmons84:

Diversion2:

Thanks man, I feel the pressure from other road users too, the road our yard is on is very narrow and happens to be very busy

Don’t be intimidated, command the road, worst thing you can do is panic and pull off the Tarmac into a soft verge. If need be slow right down or stop if it’s a bit tight. Let the cars go on the grass cos you’ll sink like a stone and need pulling out. Everyone’s done it, hopefully just the once.

Tris:

Simmons84:

Diversion2:

Don’t be intimidated, command the road, worst thing you can do is panic and pull off the Tarmac into a soft verge. If need be slow right down or stop if it’s a bit tight. Let the cars go on the grass cos you’ll sink like a stone and need pulling out. Everyone’s done it, hopefully just the once.

Ha ok so I need a whole new attitude

Simmons84:

Tris:

Simmons84:

Diversion2:

Ha ok so I need a whole new attitude

Yes, when I say command the road I don’t mean be uncourteous, but drive in such a way so you’re safe and others are safe too. You might think that splitting a junction is going to upset car drivers, and some idiots will get gobby, but if you are in doubt then split it cos it’s better to do that than wipe a car out or clang into a railing.

Lots of good advice on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=130741

No point in repeating it all here…

But the most important thing - if you’re not sure, GOAL - Get Out And Look. Better to spend half an hour doing the reverse than spend an hour filling in the damage report form.