Newbie says-"I'm pleased I found this forum"

instructor:
if a week course does not equipe the candidate for the real world then what chance has wagon and drag, we all know the real world learning starts in the real world when unacompanied when own choices have to be made, si how does the learner decide upon what he should do in an artic when he/she is trained in w&d.
the corner cutting ratio in the vehicle i taught in was only inches more than the unit end, full lane disapline adhered to whilst in a artic blocking/central or 1&2 lanes used.

so when 3 inches becomes 3 or 4 foot what happens next? as the rules of the road have altered to accomodate any given vehicle.

coupling and uncoupling is diferent and people have to ask the company assesors how to operate the fith wheel

gear box ratio, how many artics have straight forward 5/6 speed box, where not even simple range change can be used.

now think about the candidate trying to sell himself/herslf to a boss for that job he/she needs, think about the company assesor who has to take him/her out a draw you own conclusion as to what the assesor would think and do.

think about when the candidate says ive never driven an artic before.

Lets be realistic it doesn’t matter what you have driven to obtain your licence, there is no preparation for the real world and a week of giving yourself a nervous breakdown with an instructor pales into insignificance when that week is equivalent to one wage packet in a whole career, maybe 5 days then a test versus years of first hand experience.
Two novices walk on to a yard, one trained in an artic and one in a wagon and drag, both are terrified and both are as green as grass. Their success has more to do with their own adaptability and the confidence and common sence that has been installed by a good instructor than the vehicle they trained in. There is an argument against an instructor that doesn’t do everything in his power to ensure a successful completion of a training course, even if that includes simplifying the vehicle used and any company that doesn’t take the time to familiarise a new employee with their equipment deserves problems.I am sure you are very skilled though I seem to have missed your answer to my inquiry about any haulage experience you have other than training I would truly be very impressed if you taught more than one reverse or got into a discussion about donkey engines and floating decks with your pupils.
Somebody who has driven to a sufficient standard to pass their test will learn to work a fith wheel in no time and an employer who thinks that learning in an artic makes a significant difference over a wagon and drag, is a fool (IMHO).

Ladytrucker679:
Somebody who has driven to a sufficient standard to pass their test will learn to work a fith wheel in no time and an employer who thinks that learning in an artic makes a significant difference over a wagon and drag, is a fool (IMHO).

Yes, the company that offered me my first artic job were unconcerned about me passing in a wagon and drag and quickly showed me the fifth wheel action and took me on a mini assessment. In fact they actually used the same training school.