Newbie requiring C+E experience Teesside

This is the question everyone asks…?

Just passed my C+E test in September 09, what is the best way to get experience.

I would like to gain experience on a weekend, should I contact the many driving agencies, or am I better contacting haulage companies direct. Any ideas on who may be useful to contact in Teesside/North Yorkshire.

It is time for me to change my career and become a C+E driver, any advise would be appreciated.

Do I just have to wait until I have had my license two years, or can I get experience.

Cheers…!

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Lee MacPherson :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

:smiley: :smiley:

Lee MacPherson:
should I contact the many driving agencies, or am I better contacting haulage companies direct.

BOTH

Lee MacPherson:
It is time for me to change my career and become a C+E driver, any advise would be appreciated.

Although some newbies who have recently passed CE have found full time permanent work, it does seem that it is still an uphill struggle.
My advice - if you have a steady job now then stay in it untill this recession is over.

Lee MacPherson:
I would like to gain experience on a weekend,

If you have a Mon to Fri job then you can only drive under EU regs for one day every other weekend.

If you drive under EU regs at anytime during the fixed week (Mon 0000 to sun 2400) then you must make an official record of the other work you did in that week. Most do this by using a seperate tacho card for each of those other work days and on each card you must put your name, date, start & finish time.

This is so that the authorities can see that you have had the correct amount of weekly rest

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Lee,
I am still going through the training steps but meantime, being on the dole, have loads of time to check the internet.
I notice that lately ( last few weeks) the experience requirements are getting less. I have spoken to a few agencies and hauliers by phone trying to get something lined up and feedback from hauliers is positive and like Brit Pete said about recession, although they have all said it is quiet after christmas every year (?)
Around Bristol and South West seems the most opportunities. I have posted some in the jobs thread on the board and are worth a call if you can work away.
There is one at Crick for C+E (presume northhampton not wales) that again says ‘newly qualified welcome to apply’.
Good luck.

Hi mate…

If you can stretch to North Yorkshire I advise you to give Reed Boardall a shout here… reedboardall.co.uk/recruitment.php ring up though…

I’m up your way most days and from the a174 to them is about 45mins at 49mph, so could be good. The money ain’t great but the wagons are all up to date and well presented, and i think they take on new drivers.

Good luck.

Check these next door too… paynesdairies.co.uk/

Hi Lee,

I also recommend Reed Boardall at Boroughbridge.

I did about a year p/t casual with them. They took me on even though i had no experience at all, & found it a good
place to start off. I learned a lot working for them.

Good luck mate.

what sort of money do RB pay? is it weekly or monthly? i’ve seen some say it’s not that good, but it’s a foot in the door and experience…

their depot is about an hour’s drive from me, but if I’d be away some nights during in the week I wouldn’t mind a commute like that if they take new drivers on

also, where do you get in touch with sainsburys at sherburn? is there a website with contact info anywhere? and what about places like asda at whitwood - do they take newbies on??

kevchalluk:
where do you get in touch with sainsburys at sherburn? is there a website with contact info anywhere? and what about places like asda at whitwood - do they take newbies on??

chances are that these places trial new drivers via an agency so you need to ring the local agencies and see if any of them are ‘in’ with these companies.

Perhaps you could get to ask a driver who works there :bulb:

from what I’ve read on here, RB seem to take drivers on directly and do their own assessments. I’ve read a few people on here that have got their first job that way, but often it’s mentioned that the money isn’t that good. I was just wondering what a newbie can expect at a place like that and if it’s worth it?

Lee MacPherson:
This is the question everyone asks…?

Just passed my C+E test in September 09, what is the best way to get experience.

I would like to gain experience on a weekend, should I contact the many driving agencies, or am I better contacting haulage companies direct. Any ideas on who may be useful to contact in Teesside/North Yorkshire.

Do I just have to wait until I have had my license two years, or can I get experience.

Cheers…!

Hi mate and well done on passing C+E

don’t give up looking that’s what i say something always come up so knock on doors and try every where you can, most employers are not advertising for jobs in the usual places check out your local free adds and free papers and good look with your search

Hi Lee,
I’m in Teesside (Thornaby) and in the same situation as you. I passed my ‘C/E’ in March last year. Who did you do your training with? Was it Teesside LGV in Boro? I did get some work with Prestons of Potto but theres nothing going right now there. I also registered with all the local agencies but haven’t heard a word from them. You just have to keep at it mate. This so called recession must end some time. Hopefully something will turn up for all of us in this situation. Good luck.

Regards

Signaller