Newbie requires lots of help - ex army

Hi folks been directed to this forum by an ex soldier.

My son is in the army also however with the government cutting jobs he has been told that he will lose his job next September (2012) Basically my lad was in the RA so has no real qualifications to get him a job in civvy life and the only thing he really likes is driving. Since cutbacks etc he has never been able to get a LGV class 2, so only has a bog standard driving licence.

My son is almost 22 and look I really need lots of help and advise about getting him onto a LGV class 2 course so at least he can maybe get some sort of job driving next year.

I am trying to ask lots of people who are ex army about funding a course so im also looking at options where some organisation would pay the course costs etc.

Really I need to start at the begining .

What forms are required to be completed, at least I can get all these together and get the first step sorted.

Reputable courses, maybe down Peterborough area as my son is based down in Leicestershire.

I need lots of forum support here guys as September 2012 will be here quicker that owt so Ive got to get all things started so at least if we cant get funding or sponcorship I will have to foot the course costs. Cheers.

The DRIVER CPC is not the same as other CPCs
Link to The Periodic (ongoing) Driver C.P.C. (PDCPC)
DIGI SMART CARDS are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
TOTAL COST to get from B to C+E it is recommended to have £3,000 ready in case of a retest or two

Im working my way through the stickies. but a little confused with this little bit. Is this required for LGV class 2 or is is something else that is required for different class of driving.

First needs provisional licence application form you can get these from DVLA these include a medical that needs doing by any doctor then when licence is back you can do hazard perception test and theory test once those are passed can then train to do lgv.
I was always under the impression that if leaving army they would retrain you in something for civvy st

Kirk Ella 71:
First needs provisional licence application form you can get these from DVLA these include a medical that needs doing by any doctor then when licence is back you can do hazard perception test and theory test once those are passed can then train to do lgv.
I was always under the impression that if leaving army they would retrain you in something for civvy st

Sent off for forms, medical for etc. He may get medical done for nothing, however, my son says you need ‘learning credits’ for courses and he does not have enough, or something. We has only been in the army since he was 18 so he will have done his 4 years next year and driving courses dont seem to be given out. I cant get any real info on this as there are cutbacks all over so not really sure if he is entitled to get on a course even if there was one availbale.

WELCOME

silky951:

The DRIVER CPC is not the same as other CPCs Link to The Periodic (ongoing) Driver C.P.C. (PDCPC)
DIGI SMART CARDS are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!

TOTAL COST to get from B to C+E it is recommended to have £3,000 ready in case of a retest or two

Im working my way through the stickies. but a little confused with this little bit. Is this required for LGV class 2 or is is something else that is required for different class of driving.

The initial dcpc will be required ONCE to allow the driver to drive ALL LGVs commercially (unless they have aquired rights)
After passing all 4 initial dcpc modules they get automatically issued with a DQC (driver cpc card) and that has a 5 year expiry date on it
To continue driving LGVs commercially (not privately) after that expiry date then 35 hours of periodic dcpc must be completed - on completion of the 35 hours (at anytime during those 5 years) a new DQC is issued with an expiry date which is 5 years from the last expiry date - and so on…

Most do the initial dcpc when they do the C course but there is nothing to prevent someone doing the initial dcpc with the CE course - what is important is the fact that no LGV commercial driving can be done until the initial dcpc modules 2 & 4 have been passed

Digicards are used in ALL LGVs if a digitacho is fitted - the old analogue tachos are now on their way out as trucks get replaced

Just had a brochure through the post from www.lgv4all.co.uk somerset house birmingham

a class 2 course.
inclusive of provisional and medical
online theory training
DSA theory test
5 day DSA approved intensive training
DSA practical tests
Driver CPC online training and test
personal training consultant
personal recruitment consultant
Vehicle hire, fuel, insurance for training and test
£1399

Is there anything i need to know regarding this, is this all ok, no hidden costs? or extras im going to have to pay??

Where abouts do you live…? Make sure you do NOT go through an agency. I started my Cat C in July (Theory, Hazzard Perception and Case Studies Module 2) and finished it today with my Module 4.

I used a company called Avon Driver Training South West who are located in Bristol and they are very good, I passed my driving test 1st time with only 2 minors.

On this forums there is a section with all repitable driving schools. Here LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - #5 by rog - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

That list will put you right I’m sure. Goodluck :wink:

My son lives not far from Peterbrough, still in the army so he needs to comute to training school, so looking for one near there to be honest.

There are LGV Trainers on here that don’t live or operate that far from Peterbrough so someone should be along real soon and offer there services. They also have great pass rates so your son will be in very good hands. :slight_smile:

Great stuff. I hope this works out. so please anyone who trains near peterbrough please get in touch.

Did you click on this link…?

Have a look and pick the closest one to you and give them a ring. Ring a few different ones and see what best suites your son.

yes looked on there for leicestershire, emailed one company

silky951:
yes looked on there for leicestershire, emailed one company

I would suggest contacting a few and seeing which one offers the best deal. Chances are if there on that list they have been recommended by members here at TruckNetUK.

Goodluck and let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

He needs to, if not already, register for the Enhanced Learning Credits scheme (enhancedlearningcredits.com).

As he will have done over 4 years, and completed Colour Service, he is entitled to resettlement funding. There are many ELC registered training providers for LGV training. He must make sure he is registered, and it is a stringent protocol for claiming ELC funding so make sure you read the relevant JSP. I know there is currently a window for ‘re-registering’ those who missed out in the first 12 months of service, but this will close very soon.

He needs to contact his local Army Education Centre (AEC) ASAP. Might be worth approaching his MT also, get the theory test out the way and will save you circa £35. Your right he can also get full provisional entitlements without a medical.

Good luck.

edit - might be worth taking a look on the ARmy Rumour SErvice forum (www.arrse.co.uk), no doubt someone else will have been in same situation.

When your son gets out next year he could always join the national rlc ta at grantham as ex reg he wont have to do all the training and they will put him through all his licences and wont cost him or you anything