Newbie quiz!

Right, before anyone points it out, I’ll acknowledge that I’m still near enough a newb myself but I thought some may find this helpful. I’m aiming this at people who have their license because I’m nowhere near clued up enough to help with test stuff.

I’ll do my best to post a question every couple of nights (I work nights), feel free to look the answer up, use a map where applicable but if you’ve looked it up don’t post the answer until the question’s been up for 24hrs (gotta give those that know the answer some glory).

First question then, where do these roads start and finish;

A1 (all of it, including motorway sections).
M1

(see how this could be useful?)

m1 starts at our house and finishes in scotland :exclamation:

:laughing: our house?

M1 London to Leeds. A1 London to Edinburgh. Notice how both these roads lead AWAY from London :stuck_out_tongue:

What do I win?

darkseeker:
don’t post the answer until the question’s been up for 24hrs (gotta give those that know the answer some glory).

Ooops :blush:

Doh!

Erm, erm.

You’ve turned off the A1 onto the A66 heading west, what’s the area you’re in known as?

Heading from scotch corner through penrith, ■■■■■■■

:confused: Ah, I’ll let you have that one- it was scotch corner I was getting at.

Your day’s not going too well, you’re in Chesterfield and have just blown your satnav up because you plugged it into 24volts :open_mouth: luckily, you know better than to rely on it and have a map.

You’re trying to get to Stockport (near Manchester). Typical, as you get to the a619 you find it’s shut!

Work another route out, there might be a bonus point here too but all I’ll say is you might need to do something else :wink:

Is there a height, width or weight restriction through Buxton? Lovely town. Would move there if I had to live anywhere else other than where I am now.

Having already been down this route for the latest question, my answer would be to stop at a decent sized petrol station or motorway services and buy a Philips county map for the area plus a Truckers Atlas if I didn’t have one already.

During most of my previous trucking I relied on maps anyway and rarely used SatNavs.

It is always best to know where you are going and to have a suitable maps anyway, even if it is an ‘overview’ truckers atlas showing the bridges etc

How about the b6051 then drop back onto a625 then onto a623 into stockport that way ?

or major route come down to Matlock on a632 then up through on a6

:blush: Guess who’s left their trucker’s atlas in the truck!

Actually, it wasn’t the best of choices but it got y’all thinking :laughing:

The bonus, for what it’s worth, was that you might want to let your transport office know about the delay :wink:

ooooook…

You’ve got your keys, paperwork and sarnies. What should you check before you start the engine?

Everything !!! :laughing:

darkseeker:
Your day’s not going too well, you’re in Chesterfield and have just blown your satnav up because you plugged it into 24volts :open_mouth:

First thing is don’t panic, you haven’t blown up the sat nav, they all work on both 12 and 24 volts. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact most actually run on 5 volts and the lead is a dropper which is fine on anything from 12 - 24 volts.

darkseeker:
:oops: Guess who’s left their trucker’s atlas in the truck!

Actually, it wasn’t the best of choices but it got y’all thinking :laughing:

The bonus, for what it’s worth, was that you might want to let your transport office know about the delay :wink:

ooooook…

You’ve got your keys, paperwork and sarnies. What should you check before you start the engine?

I generally check that there is brown sauce on my bacon sarnies and that my ■■■■■■■■ are comfy before setting off. Nothing worse than work issue trousers riding up and giving you a ‘ball ■■■■■■’ (Frankie Boyle) on a 4 hour trip. :neutral_face:

Coffeeholic:

darkseeker:
Your day’s not going too well, you’re in Chesterfield and have just blown your satnav up because you plugged it into 24volts :open_mouth:

First thing is don’t panic, you haven’t blown up the sat nav, they all work on both 12 and 24 volts. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact most actually run on 5 volts and the lead is a dropper which is fine on anything from 12 - 24 volts.

Spoilsport - I just didn’t want the “I press the block route button on my satnav and all sorted” kind of answer.

Anyway, there’s something really important that you should check before starting the engine, but what is it?

oil/coolant levels perhaps?

Mikey D:
oil/coolant levels perhaps?

:smiley: Yep, won’t do the engine much good (or your reputation/job security) if you run an engine with none of either in it.