Newbie Questions! Inc. Straps and 48hr

Hi all, completed my first couple of weeks on Class 1, enjoying it so far, despite feeling just a bit in over my head!

I’ve a couple of questions, the first is how the hell can you stay in the 48hr weekly average?? I’ve clocked more than 60 hrs a week the past 2 weeks and that’s all been working. I understand POA doesn’t count towards that weekly time but I’m never on POA, I’m always driving or working or break/rest.

The next is straps, I can use them fine, fertiliser, packs of wood are a doddle I just strap them all down German Virgin and off we go. Its different when I’ve got a load of juice say, or crisps. I’ve been using my ratchets to strap down the back pallets, over the top like I would a pack of wood. If I have internal straps (2 trailers I’ve used so far have had them) I’ve out one down and over either side and one through and under the pallet. Nothing’s moved so far. I tried cross strapping but they wouldn’t reach, even extended out. My question is what is the best way to secure loads like this using either internals or ratchets?

Cheers,

A.

break doesn’t count either towards your working time, don’t worry about it to much as you cannot be fined for exceeding it anyway, and its down to your employer to monitor it. If you want to download one of the apps that are available like truckertimer but there are others.

wildfire:
don’t worry about it to much as you cannot be fined for exceeding it anyway

Err yes you can, what’s your name Rog !! You shouldn’t encourage newbies to do this.

With regards to strapping unless the trailer curtains are xl 12642 rated then all pallets will need strapping I’m afraid. If it’s pallets of crisps etc then I’d say loosely put a strap over just to show willing.

Adonis.:
The next is straps, I can use them fine, fertiliser, packs of wood are a doddle I just strap them all down German Virgin and off we go. Its different when I’ve got a load of juice say, or crisps. I’ve been using my ratchets to strap down the back pallets, over the top like I would a pack of wood. If I have internal straps (2 trailers I’ve used so far have had them) I’ve out one down and over either side and one through and under the pallet. Nothing’s moved so far. I tried cross strapping but they wouldn’t reach, even extended out. My question is what is the best way to secure loads like this using either internals or ratchets?

Nice to see somebody with a proper attitude to securing loads in a curtain sider.

I assume your query is regarding loads easily damaged by straps? Juice being a heavy item, ratchets are the best option but even with corner protectors your going to damage the product so I’d just settle for internals, ideally criss-crossed rather than straight down. Not ideal but at least you have shown effort. If you have no internals then you have to make a call. With really light items like crisps, I don’t think you really need to worry, so long as they are loaded in a manner where the pallets can’t slide about.

If you and your company is not bothered about WTD compliance then who is going to be :question:

rob22888:
Nice to see somebody with a proper attitude to securing loads in a curtain sider.

I assume your query is regarding loads easily damaged by straps? Juice being a heavy item, ratchets are the best option but even with corner protectors your going to damage the product so I’d just settle for internals, ideally criss-crossed rather than straight down. Not ideal but at least you have shown effort. If you have no internals then you have to make a call. With really light items like crisps, I don’t think you really need to worry, so long as they are loaded in a manner where the pallets can’t slide about.

Yes, that’s exactly it, stuff that ratchets will squash. My last load of crisps I loosely strapped the back pallets using a ratchet, squashed the corners a bit but they were about 6 and a half feet high and I had no internals. I’m new to curtainsiders and just want to make sure I’m starting off right. I watch others when I’m waiting to get loaded if i can but everyone does it differently! 99% seem to only strap the rearmost pallets in whatever way they do it.

bald bloke:

wildfire:
don’t worry about it to much as you cannot be fined for exceeding it anyway

Err yes you can, what’s your name Rog !! You shouldn’t encourage newbies to do this.

With regards to strapping unless the trailer curtains are xl 12642 rated then all pallets will need strapping I’m afraid. If it’s pallets of crisps etc then I’d say loosely put a strap over just to show willing.

All curtains I’ve had so far have been load bearing, but I’ll keep in mind that they’ll all need strapping should I have one that’s not!

Also for the 48hr my company do seem bothered and want us to use POA as often as possible. I’ve not done any work that could be classed as POA hence my questions.

Cheers,

A.

I wouldn’t bother strapping light stuff like crisps up if I never had internals.
Some of the boxes u do more damage retching n strapping.
If it really turns u on get in the back when loading and strap every pallet to the floors.

If you put it on break or poa it won’t count towards the 48hrs.
It’s very hard to achieve 60hrs actual work every week doing Rdc and general work.

stupid law, a poxy strap wont make sod all difference in any case!

but as others have said a token gesture for crisps etc is best.

as for your hours it should be the company who monitor it but if your that keen ask them what reference period they are on and keep a tally.

As above, show willing on the easily damaged goods, reality is if they expect us to secure with straps then the products should packaged suitably strong enough to take the pressure of the straps.
I had a statue of Christ, arms outstretched and all - really - on a multi pallet collection that was standing on the pallet with no banding and a ■■■■■■ balsa wood exterior frame, I lobbed a strap over ever so gently and was expecting it to be armless or poking through the curtains by the time I got back to the yard, but it must have been his make believe Fathers will, or my good driving he was still on his feet at home time :smiley:

I think its any pallet over 400 kgs that has to be strapped. As regards the 48 hour working average, just keep an eye on it.

There are usually plenty of opportunities to stick the tacho on POA during the course of your day, if you need to get it down.

Cheers guys, so at least make it look like I’m making an effort to strap stuff down?

Had a fridge today, bar across the back pallets and off, happy days! Want one every day now :laughing:

As I’m getting more into the swing of the job seeing opportunities for 15mins POA here and there are coming up more often.

Cheers,

A.