Newbie question "My left foot" - bit of a post-test diary

I’ve just spent all week driving a van with the sharpest bite on a clutch that I’ve ever encountered.
Now I can’t drive my own car! The clutch on it is more of a ‘gum’ than a bite. It’s taking me an age to get away from a standing start.

Will I gain multiple sets of reflexes that I can switch in and out of quicker? Or am I destined to play ‘hunt-and-go-seek’ for acceleration, for the rest of my life?

BTW. I got a cat C license 2 months ago but as I have absolutely no commercial driving experience, of any kind, nobody will touch me for a proper drive. An agency has taken me on but they’ve started me on vans to check I’m not a complete numpty. However, 3.5 tonne multi-drop handball to building sites in London is a hell of a learning experience in its own right.

There’s a possible day of 7.5 ton freezer to Southend for one day next week. Then it’s back to the plumbers.

Strangely, on Monday to Thursday it could be a trial to get hold of anybody to accept deliveries. On Friday plumbers were swarming over the site gates to grab stuff. Is that normal? Or did I change my aftershave? :exclamation: :open_mouth:

People have called me ‘Drive’. Drivers of proper HGV’s have been flashing headlights and indicators to me all week. Thanks guys.

“It’s all been rather lovely” John Le Mesurier

You’ll master it I’m sure.

I start the day by driving my auto car to work, switch to my Scania 3 pedal Opticruise (automatic but with clutch to start and stop) and during the course of the day load and unload numerous bits of plant including dumpers with the most vicious clutch you’ll ever come across. Sometimes get lumbered with driving our old LDV on an errand, almost like a clutchless manual in so much a it doesn’tmake much difference whether you use the clutch or not.

Oddly the thing that messes me up most is sometimes on the way home going for the clutch in my car, or trying to put it in reverse by using the wash wipe lever.

It’s probably less to do with th clutch in itself and more to do with you overthinking what you are doing in trying to get used to new types of vehicle.

Don’t have that prob but when getting back in my car after a shift I do tend to brake a bit harshly the first couple of times lol

Jenx

8wheels:
It’s probably less to do with th clutch in itself and more to do with you overthinking what you are doing in trying to get used to new types of vehicle.

You’re probably spot on there. And it’s the same with all the other disturbing habits I’m picking up. Like using mirrors, planning ahead and actually concentrating on my driving. :smiley: