Newbie question about a trailer

Hi

I’m new to this, but need to transport a trailer about 100 miles. The unit is about 10 years old and I know it hasn’t been tested in at least the last year. I don’t know the legislation around this, but I was told it would need to be moved by someone with trade plates for the trailer. Any advice?

It’s a demonstration unit used for conferences and is an office on a 40FT trailer.

Thanks

Probably not the best part of trucknet to post this type of question fella,try asking in the main or OD part.

If you,don’t get any joy then a call to VOSA is the definitive and safe answer.

I know nowt about trade plates sorry.

It is best not to drive it until you know the legal facts.100 miles is quite a way to attract attention from Vosa or the Police.
The unit’s age would stand out from the crowd.
If it is illegal,you may get fined and have to pay at the road side with cash or bank cards.
Then the whole truck may be detained where you are stopped and not released until it is sorted with the correct paper work.
Best to ask Vosa,they are approachable.Ring or email.Or call in at a Lgv testing station.

Thanks for the fast response, it’s really appreciated

old post but it does answer your question

5ive-o.org/forum/archive/ind … -8602.html

If I read your post correctly, when you say ‘the unit’ do you mean trailer unit, or tractor unit? If you mean the trailer has run out of MOT/test, then it can be moved provided it is to attend a pre booked MOT. Otherwise trade plates are needed. The same goes for the tractor unit.

If trade plates are used make sure that the conditions of use are right- some are for delivery of new vehicles only, and all are only for use by the company they are issued to, for company business - hence needing to hire a trade plater to move it.

There is no legal way to move without MOT unless it’s to a booked MOT, or with trade plates/license.

The trailer doesn’t need an MOT if it’s not used for the carriage of goods. It does need to be serviced regularly though. Are you working for someone registered with the showman’s guild? That will change your tachograph rules.

Not quite so I’m afraid - even a private trailer needs testing, regardless of hire/reward etc…

The only exceptions are on the 2nd page of the V112 form, found here:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 12G_1_.pdf

Trade plates only cover road tax not mot.

No MOT then not legal and not fit for the road full stop.

alder:

Is that the law or your opinion?
Is what Race Trucker say’s wrong then I wonder?

ShropsBri:

alder:

His opinion. I used to pull stages and living trailers that were exempt from test and it’s a well known fact funfairs are exempt from pretty much everything. :wink:

10-08:

ShropsBri:

alder:

His opinion. I used to pull stages and living trailers that were exempt from test and it’s a well known fact funfairs are exempt from pretty much everything. :wink:

Ah,the showmans rules I presume!

Was it you that used to work in a circus coz the doors fell off that car I bought off you :grimacing:

ShropsBri:

10-08:

ShropsBri:

alder:

Was it you that used to work in a circus coz the doors fell off that car I bought off you :grimacing:

ShropsBri:

10-08:

ShropsBri:

alder:

ShropsBri:

10-08:

ShropsBri:

alder:

Designed like that mate, so the clowns can spring out quickly. :smiley:

Wheels come off too :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: