Newbie Ques :D

Few newbie ques:-

Do I use the cross hammers if tipping/loading? (What happens if I need to load more stuff from anohter shed? Move the mode to DRIVING SYMBOL again then when loading again back to OTHER WORK?)

Do I use the Break/Rest if only on a break of either 15/30 or 45mins? (What should I do when parked up at night for my 9 or 11hours off? Leave my tacho in to record my time off on BREAK/REST or should I take my analogue card out and fill it out?)

POA? The Square symbol :smiley: Is this mainly used in ferry/train crossings? If not, when would I most ideally use this mode?

ALso, what is WTD?

Sorry for the ques but you dont get taught much before/after your test and employers seem a bit far fetched when you ask for help (Just put the card in and drive for 9 hours and take 9 off :S) and the old timers tell you the stories LOLā€¦

Anywas I will appreciate the help and want to keep myself right.

Regards,

S/C.

firstly - welcome to trucknetuk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think a lot of the answers to your questions are on page one of this forum :smiley: - look for the replies given by coffeeholic & tachograph :smiley:

Welcome to TruckNet scottishcruiser :smiley:

scottishcruiser:
Few newbie ques:-

Do I use the cross hammers if tipping/loading? (What happens if I need to load more stuff from anohter shed? Move the mode to DRIVING SYMBOL again then when loading again back to OTHER WORK?)

The cross hammers are for other work so yes thatā€™s the correct mode for loading/unloading.

With modern tachographs you donā€™t need to put them on driving mode, when the vehicle moves the tacho will automatically record driving regardless of what mode the switch is on.

For instance if you have the tacho on other work mode (cross hammers) and move the vehicle it will record the driving time and go back to recording other work when the vehicle stops moving.

scottishcruiser:
Do I use the Break/Rest if only on a break of either 15/30 or 45mins? (What should I do when parked up at night for my 9 or 11hours off? Leave my tacho in to record my time off on BREAK/REST or should I take my analogue card out and fill it out?)

You can put the tacho on break (bed symbol) for breaks regardless of how long they are, but for the driving regulations you must have a 45 minute break when youā€™ve driven for 4 and half hours, the 45 minute break can be split as you seem to understand, if you have a split break the first part must be no less than 15 minutes and the second part must be no less than 30 minutes, they must also be in the correct order.

If you were using an analogue tachograph you would normally take the chart out at the end of the shift and finish filling it in.

scottishcruiser:
POA? The Square symbol :smiley: Is this mainly used in ferry/train crossings? If not, when would I most ideally use this mode?

POA stand for ā€œPeriod Of Availabilityā€.

POA is when youā€™re available for work but not actually working, such as waiting to be unloaded at a RDC.

scottishcruiser:
ALso, what is WTD?

WTD stand for ā€œWorking Time Directiveā€.

Put simply the WTD regulates the hours workers are allowed to work and what breaks and rest periods workers should have, because in transport thereā€™s obviously a safety issue we work to a different WTD from say factory or office workers, ours is the ā€œWorking time directive for mobile workersā€.

scottishcruiser:
Sorry for the ques but you dont get taught much before/after your test and employers seem a bit far fetched when you ask for help (Just put the card in and drive for 9 hours and take 9 off :S) and the old timers tell you the stories LOLā€¦

Anywas I will appreciate the help and want to keep myself right.

Regards,

S/C.

Iā€™m sure no-one here will have a problem with you asking questions, ask away, but as ROG suggested a browse of the forum may answer many of the questions for you.

Hereā€™s a link to the ā€œRules on Driversā€™ Hours and Tachographsā€ booklet (PDF file) which may also help you.

Good luck.

ROG:
firstly - welcome to trucknetuk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think a lot of the answers to your questions are on page one of this forum :smiley: - look for the replies given by coffeeholic & tachograph :smiley:

Gothika has been asking a lot of newbie questions recently, look for posts by him too.

Cheers for your answers. But how weird was this? I post this the Friday and go on one of my first handful of trips and get stopped by VOSA on the Saturday at Weigh Bridge in Stirling!! All was ok with cards etc apart from they say that if I drive to go pick up a lorry which isnā€™t situated at my location (IE: Home) then this needs to be marked down as OTHER WORK = Less spread over time if travelling any length of distance to go pick up a lorry, which I do, as I am THE BOY :smiley::smiley:

Anyways he said no real harm done and gave me a number to phone up to get the new hard back RULES & REGS from VOSAā€¦

Such a coincidence.

regards,

J.

scottishcruiser:
they say that if I drive to go pick up a lorry which isnā€™t situated at my location (IE: Home) then this needs to be marked down as OTHER WORK = Less spread over time if travelling any length of distance to go pick up a lorry,

You know that only applies if the vehicle isnā€™t at its normal operating centre, travelling from home to the depot isnā€™t Other Work of course.

scottishcruiser:
Cheers for your answers. But how weird was this? I post this the Friday and go on one of my first handful of trips and get stopped by VOSA on the Saturday at Weigh Bridge in Stirling!! All was ok with cards etc apart from they say that if I drive to go pick up a lorry which isnā€™t situated at my location (IE: Home) then this needs to be marked down as OTHER WORK = Less spread over time if travelling any length of distance to go pick up a lorry, which I do, as I am THE BOY :smiley::smiley:

Anyways he said no real harm done and gave me a number to phone up to get the new hard back RULES & REGS from VOSAā€¦

Such a coincidence.

regards,

J.

He told you right, if the vehicle isnā€™t at base or your home then travelling to and from it should be booked as other work.

Presumably the idea is to ensure you have the correct daily rest, makes sense if you think about it :wink:

From the ā€œRules on Driversā€™ Hours and Tachographsā€, link in my previous post.

Where a vehicle coming within the scope of the EU rules is neither at the driverā€™s home nor at the
employerā€™s operational centre where the driver is normally based but is at a separate location, time
spent travelling to or from that location to take charge of the vehicle may not be counted as a rest
or break, unless the driver is in a ferry or train and has access to a bunk or couchette.

His yard is local but his dad (Who drives the lorry) stays & parks the lorry 30miles away, so would travelling to it be classed as OTHER WORK even if the lorry is parked at the same bit every week?

I dont want to do wrong, but imagine having to go to your lorry every weekend with a 30mins+ travel before getting there is going to effect your overall spread over, so how would the law see it if you went and stayed over night at say a friends house in the town where you are picking the lorry up the following day?

scottishcruiser:
His yard is local but his dad (Who drives the lorry) stays & parks the lorry 30miles away, so would travelling to it be classed as OTHER WORK even if the lorry is parked at the same bit every week?

Yes, unless the regular weekly parking place is an operating centre for that vehicle, which it really should be if it is parked there every week.

scottishcruiser:
so how would the law see it if you went and stayed over night at say a friends house in the town where you are picking the lorry up the following day?

IMHO they could say the travelling time the day before picking up the vehicle was other work and that could seriously mess up your weekly rest periods and/or limit the number of days you can drive in the week.

Dont think it is, just a case of ā€œDRIVERS GET TO TAKE THERE LORRIES HOMEā€ :smiley:

What about the other question?

Cheers,

J.

See above, I hit submit too early so went back and edited it.

scottishcruiser:
Dont think it is, just a case of ā€œDRIVERS GET TO TAKE THERE LORRIES HOMEā€ :smiley:

You better be careful what you say to VOSA next time you are stopped regarding where you picked the truck up from and why it was there, that is not allowed under the O Licence scheme and could land them in a whole heap of crap.

I didnt say thats what happened, just said that where we met as it was convenient place.

So much to take in, makes you actually wonder if its worth all the hassleā€¦

No wonder theres a shortage of driversā€¦

scottishcruiser:
I didnt say thats what happened, just said that where we met as it was convenient place.

Good call.