Newbie owner operator with a couple of questions. (spain/PT)

Hi there, quick introduction, im an owner operator of a class 2 fl6 accident unit based in the midlands. recently my line of work has pushed me to consider the buying of a car transporter for runs to the continent, mainly northern spain and portugal. What i would like to ask is some advice on fuel economy what sort of MPG a full sized car transporter would return fully loaded with 10/11 cars. I have been looking at an FM12 on truck trader to be specific.

My other consideration is calais or santander? I would appreciate some feedback from others familiar with the routes although the answer to my first question will probably seal the deal on these two options. Im considering
Santander from portsmouth comes in at just under £1000 + vat. each way
or Calais is £235 + vat each way
However santander knocks around 800 miles each way off my longest planned journey and i can crack the trip legaly with one driver at the helm with the break in the middle on the ferry. Im leaning towards this way as its less wear and tear on the vehicle, less diesel, breaks the trip up better (ill be doing it my self) and i miss out all the ■■■■ in france with toll roads plus the migrant ■■■■■■■■■■ But of course theres that massive 700 odd quid of a difference in price. Will it offset the saving on diesel/toll roads?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Nim

I think your biggest problem will be height restrictions 4.0meteres. your not going to get any where close to that with a 10/11 car transporter.

m.a.n rules:
I think your biggest problem will be height restrictions 4.0meteres. your not going to get any where close to that with a 10/11 car transporter.

you may be right brittany just confirmed the ferry door is only 4.3 metres im having a look at my accident unit now the beacon’s and work lamps are on a hydraulic frame so they raise up fully extended they are 4.2. just looked at it and it may be tight!

Really didnt fancy the drive through france if im honest, do you know of any websites that calculate toll fee’s for route through europe?

Autoroutes.fr.

Plenty of 4.2and4.3 trailers in France and spain. Brittany are running from Poole with a freighter which maybe worth a look. Never bothered myself, it’s not worth the sea sickness, money spent on board and being with other drivers for such a long period of time. Nightmare!!

Is europe not 4m. I wouldnt plan on running anything higher then 4m in europe. Permits and unmarked bridges would put me right of. Only bridges with a height less then 4m are marked. Your asking for trouble if you ask me.

I don’t know how much international experience you have as an operator but France, spain, Portugal will all be ok at 4.2. I am sure someone will correct me but think anything under 4.5 is marked in France. Of course there are the odd ones you need to be aware of like the 4.2m bridge on the Caen ring road.

The tolls (Calais - Spanish Border) work out around £400 each way. It still works out slightly cheaper crossing Dover - Calais as opposed to Portsmouth - Santander though.

Plambert:
I don’t know how much international experience you have as an operator but France, spain, Portugal will all be ok at 4.2. I am sure someone will correct me but think anything under 4.5 is marked in France. Of course there are the odd ones you need to be aware of like the 4.2m bridge on the Caen ring road.

France same as uk no height limit but as said check heights and routes etc if over 4.2
Spain is 4 metre and tech you need permits for higher and specific routes
The fines down there now wouldn’t be risking it with a transporter Thant stands out

Nim,
Having run multicar transporters on the european delivery/repatriation job before, be very careful on what you decide to purchase. Most, UK manufactured, transporters are too high (to the top of the pillars) and that’s before you even put a vehicle on. Also you won’t need three decks as you will on ever use two. You will be lucky to get more than 5 cars on unless they are very small and low in height, no matter how you ‘kick’ the decks. We used Euro Lohr & Lohr EHR’s (Waggon & Drag’s) as they have a good loading angle, can carry most vehicles and the superstucture was only 4 metres high.
Finally if you are doing any repatriation may sure you have a winch (portable & powered by a battery pack will suffice) also check the location/condition of the vehicle to be picked up.
Many times we got near to the location, only to find that it was a physical impossibility to get anywhere near the vehicle with a waggon & drag, also the vehicle (that was supposed to be driveable) was clearly not. If you do your sums on 5 vehicles per trip, you won’t be disappointed…Any more is very optermistic.
Best of luck,
Paul

Many thanks for the responses,

I have been away doing my figures and researching trucks,hence gap in reply. Having looked at the expenses on both options, santander and france, i worked out a total difference of £385 saving by going through france. The ferry it would seem is a no brainer for me even before we consider tolls which someone just mentioned comes in at £400. If that is the case and my figures are correct its cheaper hitting the ferry and carrys alot less wear and tear on the vehicle, so i thank you for the info.

Paul, as you have mentioned my main concern is buying the right bit of kit.I want to maximize profits by getting as many cars on there as possible and considering ride height restrictions abroad. I also want something that is comfortable as i will be doing the run my self. Ihad planned to go down the wagon and drag route, but unfortunately the truck i was after has been snatched from my grip. It had a nice running height and promised to squeeze nine cars on there and being quite a big tractor unit came with the creature comforts at the sacrifice of a car above the cab.

Incase anyone is interested or has anything to contribute i was looking at this daf (see attached)
DSC06455.jpg,

unfortunately it has been since sold, there is another option of an iveco but having run volvo and daf coaches in the past im swayed to sticking to what i know plus im not as comfortable with the trailer (height issue with the 3 decks)

Thanks again for the input people, ill drop by with an update once ive squared away what im buying.

Cheers

Nim

Nim,
The DAF (Pictured) has the Euro Lohr fitted to it, the same as we used to run. The only thing I would say is be careful and ensure they have been well maintained, they are quite old now. There is no need for three axle tractor unit, unless you are carrying three heavy cars on the prime mover (You wont in Europe as one has to go over the low height cab) - the trailer will carry up to six and that’s only on two axles! 9 cars in Europe, is nearly impossible unless you are carrying very, very low and small cars. Forget the trailer, it has three decks and you won’t see any three deck semi trailers in Europe (unless they are empty!) only two decks work (but you’ll only get five on) and the are very limited, as you cannot kick the deck individually where as you can on the wagon & drags.
I hope this helps?
Paul