Newbie looking to enter the world of HGV

Hello all, im 26 and from the midlands.

Looking into taking my class 2 next year and then progressing to class 1.

I plan to get my medical and my licence sent off for provisional entitlement and then look to pass the theory and hazard percep during these cold months, and then when the weather brightens up in the new year, book my training and test which will give me time to save in the meantime up until then.

Had a lot of negative vibes and people trying to sway me away from the idea and invest my money in something else, but in todays day and age, qualifcations are nothing, its experience, and i feel truck driving is one of the only few half decent jobs left that you can walk into an agency and still get work, my brother is a class one driver as are 3 of my friends who are class 2 and 1, and they all are making £350 a week plus, i have never taken home more than £245 a week basic working in a warehouse, and i feel as im getting older i need to move up the ladder a bit, i understand ill have to do some agency work for a while to get my experience levels up, but as a single male, with no family or anything and i enjoy driving, doing the long hours and being out and about would suit me, ive always been a hard worker, never at home, always out working or busy doing something, i have a great love for anything with an engine too.

Any tips or advice much appreiciated, i hope my plan of action goes to plan, i feel okay training and i feel id be confident in doing the training but whenever it comes to being examined and knowing my actions and performance are either going to be a pass or a fail, i tend to crumble and let me nerves get the better of me, it took me 4 attempts to pass my driving test because of this, but in 7 years ive never had one accident, i was a nervous wreck at work doing my forklift licences, but passed first time. so we will see, just seems a lot of money to gamble with, i know ill be looking at around £1000 for my training/test and i have already spoke to a company who im thinking of using, they are a direct company and its with them, im not going through a middleman/broker which will cost me more and try and sell me what i dont need, another reason
i want to get my theory and hazard percep, medical and licence sorted beforehand, its less faffing around in my eyes and i can concentrate on the training and test more.

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

I took my Class 2 a year ago and have never regretted it. It’s been a hard slog with the agencies but they are finally giving me a decent amount of work.

Passed my class 1 a week ago and hoping to start getting some Class 1 work after Christmas.

I have just been booked on 60 hour weeks up till Christmas on class 2. With 450 take home. Easy work with drivers mate to help. It will certainly make Christmas a lot easier this year.

Good luck with theory tests, training and practical test. It seems like a lot of money to part with but when you get that license back and the work starts coming in you will see it was worth it.

Oh and I’m sure there will be people who differ from my opinion. Just thought if share my experience and why I’m not regretting any of it.

Dean

From reading your post I think you know what to do and will regret it if you dont :smiley: go for it always something to fall back on even if you dont use it Ive never regretted getting my class 2 absolutly love it even when getting the crap :wink:

Best of luck

Jen x

Hi Georgey

We are a training company but not trying to sell you anything as we are in Essex and miles away from you. Just some good old fashioned advice.

You are correct in thinking there is quite a lot you can do yourself before getting a training company too involved.

1. Take medical and apply for provisional cat C
  2. Study for and pass both parts of the theory
  3. Take and pass the CPC Module 2 exam

Now before you decide who to train with phone around and ask about taking a few assessment drives. These are arranged by training providers (often at no cost to you) and typically last around 1-2 hours. It lets you try the vehicles, meet the trainers and get an instinctive feel for the company before parting with any hard earned.

As for a job afterwards truthfully many employers ask for some experience but not all. Otherwise nobody would ever get their 1st start. Once you get an offer you will almost definately earn more than the £245p.w you mentioned. It is an investment that will repay you many times over.

Finally don’t listen too much to the doom merchants who will tell you it’s a hard thankless job with no prospects. Ask the 2 million people on the dole what they would prefer !

You will not find a better site on the entire internet offering better free advice and tips than this place for every little step of your journey ahead. No question is too stupid to ask…so ask away

Regards

John
Flair Training

I have nothing more to add to the above advice really, other than to make sure that it is a 100% trusted trainer you’re going with. Unfortunately there are some crooks within this business and a fool is quickly parted with his money.

good luck with it mate, im in the same position as you!

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and advice, it is nice to be able to join a forum and read out my plan of action in my first ever post and not be shot down in flames ! Much appreicated!

Im having real difficulty understanding the parts and modules of this CPC malarky, i purchased the theory and hazard perception, and after about 15-20 mock tests on the theory i was pretty much hitting pass rate 2 or 3 marks above after a few weeks i was getting near on full if not 1 - 2 marks down from the 100, hazard perception was a funny one, i was clicking when i was seeing hazards, but my laptop was failing me, i didnt have enough memory in it and it was registering my clicks on the programme too late, hence i failed at nearly ever mock hazard perception i tried ! :laughing:

IF anyone has any useful links or guides to the ins and outs of the CPC that would be great? IVe googled it, but as you can imagine one site always tells you the opposite to what the other one does !

Im currently working for an agency and have been for over 2 years, but im classed as full time for the agency and not a temporary worker, and its manual warehousing and forklift driving, and its starting to take its toll on me, in my younger years i had a bad motorcycle accident and to date ive had three operations on both my knees, 2 on one,1 on the other, the lighting and dust in the warehouse has given me many chest infections, eye problems, and over the past few months my wrists have been playing me up as its all heavy 15kg + plant machinery parts and spares, my knees arent going to take much more of being on my feet 9 hours a day and before i do myself in on and for a job which i dont see worth it money wise im going to do my HGV ive decided, and its something ive always wanted to do, ive driven long wheel based 3.5 tonne vans before for TNT but got made redunadant 3 years ago :frowning: loved that job !

The agency i work for have already said when i pass my class 2 they always have weekend work on that pays between £9 and £12 a hour dependant on what hours i work and i can progress to doing it full time if i want and leave the warehouse job , good thing is i signed a contract with them a few months ago when i went full time which means they have to give me minimum 4 days a week work or they have to make up the difference in pay, so even if i do take the gamble of leaving my full time warehouse job, im confident in knowing ill have work regardless :slight_smile:

Thanks again people, ill have a look around the site as and when i get time :slight_smile:

Dont worry too much about the CPC. Basically because you passed your car test after 1997 (and therefore do not hold a 7.5t licence) you will need to take 2 extra tests. These are known as Module 2 and Module 4 which together make up the initial Driver CPC.

Module 2 is taken at the same place as both theory tests and is 50 questions in a case study format with 7 seperate case studies and 6-8 questions on each one. You need 40 correct to pass. If you are getting close to 100% on the theory mock tests you will be fine on this one.

Once passed you can take Mod 4. This is a practical demonstration taken at the LGV test centre with a truck present. The contents are well documented on this board so I wont go into the test here. You will obviously need the services of a training provider to train for and take this test.

Once everything is passed you will be issued a CPC card which is valid for 5 years. Within that time you must attend 5 seperate days training of 7 hours each. There are no exams on these days. Attendance only.

Regards

John
Flair Training

Thanks for that i for some reason thought there was 5 parts to the CPC but i cant remember why or see how ive got confused with that!

So its just basically get medical done, send off licence, get licence back, pass theory and hazard percep, then the first part of the CPC is done at the same place id have taken my theory? and on the same sort of basis as the theory test? i understand there is only a book to revise from for the CPC ? Then its obviously training and test and the show me tell part of the CPC and thats it?

Thats great. thanks :slight_smile:

georgey2011:
and its something ive always wanted to do

That on its own is enough reason to do it.

Yes, you will find it slightly more difficult to find a job than a more experienced driver, but it’s by no means impossible. And yes, you will earn far more than £245 a week, although you will have to put in the hours to earn a decent wage. It sounds though, as if you know that already.

I’ve had my Class 1 licence for just over 25 years now and I’ve never regretted getting it. It sounds like you know what you want so give it a go, and all the best with it. :wink:

To become a driver and successfully gain the INITIAL DRIVER CPC a new driver must pass the following 4 modules:

1.Theory and Hazard Awareness test.

2.Case study questions and answers.

3Practical Driving Test.

4.Practical Demonstration Test. The candidate will be asked questions about certain topics such as load restraints and asked to demonstrate their knowledge e.g. using a ratchet strap you must show the examiner how it works and how they would use it to secure a load.

you can pass first modul 1 and modul 2.this can be in one day or diferents day.all two tests in computers…modul 3 -driving tests.modul 4-show me,tell me.it s depend to driving schools,can be before or after drivin tests(modul 3)but if you teked modul 4 at some day at you driving training.will be little more cheap for you.( modul 4 tests about 30 min,plus 30 min waiting before anf after tests)

At 26 you not that old & having been involved in a motorcycle crash many years ago my self I can understand some of it as I am now paying the cost of it also have several friends with the same years of abuse & accidents

If you really want to go for it do but dont expect miracles as they do take a bit longer :laughing:

When I done my Cat C my provider arranged all for me ( medical theory HPT they even supplied the disc I needed ) I didnt have to do the initial cpc as have grandfather rights

But if you have bad knees now will they be able to withstand sitting for upto 4.5 hrs also make sure you learn how to climb in/out the lorry correctly & use at al times as there is a reason for this

Im sure ill be fine, for the last 2 years ive been lifting and carrying 30 kilo plus engine parts in my warehouse job, my knees arent getting noticeably worse its just i know if i carry on in a job where im on my feet constantly its going to end up costing me and for what im paid in the job im in i dont think its worth doing my health in for.

Im ok getting up and into things as iam at work into forklifts and that, for a start im the skinniest guy on earth so i dont have much weight to carry and my knees at the moment are still strong, just get painful and ache from all the carrying of weight and being on my feet, will be okay as i say though and its something ive considered about before wanting to do my HGV as if i had any doubt it would restrict me i wouldnt do the HGV licences.

Thanks for all the CPC help too peoplem just one more thing, if i do the 2nd part of the CPC at the same place i do my theory and hazard percep, then do my part 4 when or after ive passed my cat C is that ok to do it that way? is the CPC valid for a certain time or is it just once you pass you get the certifcate to say you have ?

Ill keep you updated !

You cannot take module 3 until you have passed module 1 and you cannot take module 4 until you have passed module 2. But you can do the combinations round whichever way you choose.

I know some training schools implement module 4 training into the driving course so that you are ready for both by the end of the week. So I would be inclined to take module 1 and 2 in the same week and then you know you are qualified to take both modules 3 and 4 when ready.

Thats great thankyou.

After a few months away from practicing the theory mock tests i had a bash tonight, 91/100… still got it :laughing:

Will get a bash on the hazard percep tommorow, then i need to sort my medical out there is a place near me that does driver medicals for £54 inc vat, i just need to get the D4 form as for some reason they dont do them? My doctors want £110 for a medical :open_mouth: :unamused:

Then after that ill do theory, hazard percep and the mod 2 of the cpc…

Then its continue saving for another month or two then go for the training/test !

georgey2011:
My doctors want £110 for a medical :open_mouth: :unamused:

Don’t pay it, you should be looking at about £60 for a medical maximum, you can use any doctor for it so just ring round. Doctors on Wheels advertise doing them nationwide at £51 inc VAT or £59 inc VAT at the weekend but just Google for LGV medical.

doctorsonwheels.co.uk/?gclid … fAodDXruHA

georgey2011:
Thanks guys for the warm welcome and advice, it is nice to be able to join a forum and read out my plan of action in my first ever post and not be shot down in flames ! Much appreicated!

Hello and welcome the shooting down in flames is the next post you have :laughing: