Newbie looking for advice

Hoping someone can offer me some advice, it’s been years since i posted on here back when i first considered doing an HGV course.

I’m back to looking into this, and considering I’ve had my licence for 10years, think it’s a better time to look.

I’d be looking at Doing my C, C+E , ADR, HIAB, CPC , all in quick succession to open up the most job opportunities. Is there realistically any work out there with regards ADR/HIAB for new drivers?

I’m not really concerned with spending all day on the road, but i am worried about spending large amounts of time out of the house, as i imagine leaving in the early hours and returning home late at night, or do driver’s regs put a stop to that? I have very young kids and don’t want to miss them growing up, it’s bad enough at the moment because i work shifts, but the nights are killing me.

Would anyone still suggest this as a career? I’m currently earning £30k, but is that achievable without working nights?

Should add that this would be in Hertfordshire, so Watford // St Albans // Hemel Hempstead // Luton , as well as surrounding, are all valid options

Hoping the usual regulars will be along to offer some words of wisdom!

If you want Hiab then builders merchants are crying out for drivers, more C work but some use C+E. All day work but considering your location you will be going into London. You won’t be earning 30K at least not when you just pass. Early starts are a mainstay of this industry. Don’t like earlies then don’t work in transport. There are different shift patterns that could help you when seeing your kids grow up etc but that is dependant on the place of employment.

Recommding this industry is hard because each person has their own requirements. Myself its great because I have no kids, single, little outgoings so I can spend all work away and not have to worry but for someone like yourself with younglings then I can see why its hard but don’t let that stop you. There is plenty of day out there, day work being a 6am start with a 5pm finish etc but you do get your weekends!

Early starts don’t bother me, just trying to avoid a situation where i leave the house at 5/6am , and don’t return home until 8/9pm that night as i currently do. You’ve got me wondering about doing C and HIAB first, following it up with C+E once i’ve gained some experience on a big vehicle.

Is this something that’s recommended or do most people go straight into C+E , doing it back to back with C ?

Salary is obviously a concern as i have a family to provide for an at the moment, just about make ends meet, so would need to be as close as possible to keep a roof over my head!

What sort of money would i be looking at, newly qualified with a C+HIAB , everywhere i’ve been looking at want’s experience, sounds strangley familiar to when i was out to get my very first job!

Anyone?

I’m a relative newbie, I passed cat c in March, cat ce in Aug and left my job as a chef in Aug to drive full time. I got a job with bidvest food service, works hard graft, they give a chance to new qualified drivers, 2 days a week I do 12-14 hours, 3 days a week I do 8-9 hours, pay is good, over £30k with overtime, 48 hour contract with paid over time, and I love it, if your prepared to do the ■■■■■■■ and bumping the is work and it pays well!!

hiya mate

id say if you dont wanna be out all hours the builders merchat route is the way to go, think by mine they generally work 7 till 4 or if you dont wanna go to the expense of hiab training just get your cat c and get on the tippers as far as im aware thats regular hours.

robz:
I’m currently earning £30k, but is that achievable without working nights?

I don’t know what the rates are like in your area, but as a new driver I’d say you’ve got next to no chance of even coming close to that with no nights no nights out and no long shifts.

robz:
Early starts don’t bother me, just trying to avoid a situation where i leave the house at 5/6am , and don’t return home until 8/9pm that night as i currently do. You’ve got me wondering about doing C and HIAB first, following it up with C+E once i’ve gained some experience on a big vehicle.

Is this something that’s recommended or do most people go straight into C+E , doing it back to back with C ?

Salary is obviously a concern as i have a family to provide for an at the moment, just about make ends meet, so would need to be as close as possible to keep a roof over my head!

What sort of money would i be looking at, newly qualified with a C+HIAB , everywhere i’ve been looking at want’s experience, sounds strangley familiar to when i was out to get my very first job!

Try and find a company that is only open during the day, such as a builders merchant etc

Like it has been said already long hours and early starts are out the question to be honest. You just have to do some digging to find a good company with good pay. pm me if you like mate we can have a proper chat.