Newbie looking advice on looking for/getting first hgv job

Hello, im 23 and having not long passed my Class 2 licence and CPC i have started looking for Class 2 work.

I have been looking and applying since xmas, applied to quite a few places and have been offered interview for 7.5t job so far and nothing else. CV and cover letter are in good nick, its just most jobs want 2 years experiance.

Any advice on where i can find a new job in Leighton Buzzard, Aylesbury, Hemel Hempstead and St Albans Areas?

I currently work for Ocado as a 3.5t driver, have done for last 3 years, no points or accidnts in my driver history.

Plan to get Class 1 in summer, but want proper job experiance first.

Are driver agencies a good idea? Are Tipper jobs a good idea? Or should stick to multi temp?

Thanks!

Finding class 2 work isn’t easy. Class 1 is another matter.
Concentrate on getting your class 1, Start knocking on doors. CV’s are ok, But door knocking is the best way.
Take your kit with you, If someone hasn’t turned in and there’s a lorry sat there, They won’t turn you away.

I know someone that might give you a start, He has a depot in harlow. He has some class 2’s, But mostly class 1.

I’m in the same position in watford. I have what I thought was an advantage in that I’ve been driving 40’ coaches for many years and I’m also a driving instructor. The two year thing seems pretty rigid for everyone I’ve spoken to, it’s the first thing anyone asks and then they go deaf to everything else you say, I’ve tried avoiding it but it hasn’t worked so far. I’ve been walking into places but can’t seem to locate the right person at the right time, or maybe I’m just saying the wrong things, given out cv’s and been told they will keep me on file, phoned many other places and been told the same. I’m currently signed up to four different agencies who all promise the world but in reality don’t actually have any work, or already have their favorites. I’ve only got some van work ATM due to the 2 year crap. Agencies also want you to have a licence for two years as most of their clients demand it. As I’ve been told, chicken and egg.
I’m gonna keep trying and hope for a bit of luck.
I’ve heard that brakes in park royal are always looking and pay well but only if you can put up with the work and treatment you’d receive. I’ve looked into it and really don’t fancy it myself.

Good luck

I’m in the same position in watford. I have what I thought was an advantage in that I’ve been driving 40’ coaches for many years and I’m also a driving instructor. The two year thing seems pretty rigid for everyone I’ve spoken to, it’s the first thing anyone asks and then they go deaf to everything else you say, I’ve tried avoiding it but it hasn’t worked so far. I’ve been walking into places but can’t seem to locate the right person at the right time, or maybe I’m just saying the wrong things, given out cv’s and been told they will keep me on file, phoned many other places and been told the same. I’m currently signed up to four different agencies who all promise the world but in reality don’t actually have any work, or already have their favorites. I’ve only got some van work ATM due to the 2 year crap. Agencies also want you to have a licence for two years as most of their clients demand it. As I’ve been told, chicken and egg.
I’ve heard that brakes in park royal are always looking and pay well but only if you can put up with the work and treatment you’d receive. I’ve looked into it and really don’t fancy it myself.

Good luck

Good luck

Don’t know why it posted three times!
Can’t see how to remove them.

Top of my head, in Leighton Buzzard.

Try DND, Pool Depot, Billington Rd, they do pallet work in class 2’s & run class 1’s (always looking for drivers, so I’m not sure what they are like to work for !)
MINI clipper, used to be on Billington Rd aswell.
Glen Transport, Stanbridge Rd, used to do the papers overnight (not sure if they still do ?)
Polar Speed, Chartmore Rd. (Think they multi drop chilled & frozen)
Norbert’s, Billington Rd, might use Class 2’s.
Tuffnels, Cherrycourt way, (Multidrop parcels)
FR Cawleys, Covent Garden Close, Luton. Skips, Rollons, Rear end loaders, Tippers, class 1 walking floors & push outs. Good experience on waste vehicles (‘Golden Graham’ & Matty are the best old style fitters I know, got me out of the ■■■■ plenty of times, landfills are very hard on wagons)

limeyphil:
Concentrate on getting your class 1, Start knocking on doors. CV’s are ok, But door knocking is the best way.
Take your kit with you, If someone hasn’t turned in and there’s a lorry sat there, They won’t turn you away.

I know someone that might give you a start, He has a depot in harlow. He has some class 2’s, But mostly class 1.

Class 1 work much easier to find?

Cheers Loaf1, and you too.

Thanks martinviking, i shall look into those.

Try the food services companies, brakes, 3663, bidvest

nj1000:

limeyphil:

Class 1 work much easier to find?

Cheers Loaf1, and you too.

Yes. If you don’t go to the big companies that want CV’s, hi vis underwear and shed loads of paperwork for you to sign before you get an interview.
You need to get out and about.
I saw a trailer being pulled by a subbie for a local company that dosn’t usually use subbies, I rang them and they needed a driver. They asked how i knew. I explained that i knew they must be short, As they had to use a subbie. They wanted me to start straight away, But my existing boss talked me out of it.
One firm i was with went really quiet, I told them i’d find something else until things picked up. I just sat outside fleetwood docks taking numbers from every trailer that came off the ferry, I had a job within 15 minutes.

You’ve got to be confident and friendly, But not cocky.