Newbie - Leeds/Bradford

Hi!

In the last weeks I’ve been looking for first opportunity for a newbie Class 1 driver in Leeds and Bradford area with no luck. No experience, no party.

My problem it’s that I have got my Class 1 licence for more than 15 years but no experience.

I did a Refresher Course some days ago to gain at least some road hours.

Any suggestion? Some doors to knock?

Thanks guys.

Agencies always have work. Just gotta register with all you can.

adam277:
Agencies always have work. Just gotta register with all you can.

I visited two this morning, and the answer was “no”.

I will keep contacting more agencies.

Thx

It depends what sort of work you’re after. Day work can be a bit thin on the ground, because most people want to be in their own bed every night, but if you’re willing to tramp, you’ll get work no problem. Some firms will demand experience, there will be someone out there willing to give you chance, especially if you’ve had your licence for 15 years.

Just thinking about the Leeds area, there’s Stobarts in Sherburn, WH Malcolm in Wakefield, and Prestons in Knottingley, all of which I know are recruiting. Give them a ring and see what they say :smiley:

Rottweiler22:
It depends what sort of work you’re after. Day work can be a bit thin on the ground, because most people want to be in their own bed every night, but if you’re willing to tramp, you’ll get work no problem. Some firms will demand experience, there will be someone out there willing to give you chance, especially if you’ve had your licence for 15 years.

Just thinking about the Leeds area, there’s Stobarts in Sherburn, WH Malcolm in Wakefield, and Prestons in Knottingley, all of which I know are recruiting. Give them a ring and see what they say :smiley:

Hi Rottweiler22,

For familiar causes, I’m not looking for tramping, I’ve no problems to do nights or weekends.

Thanks for your response!!

Tritium:

Rottweiler22:

Hi Rottweiler22,

For familiar causes, I’m not looking for tramping, I’ve no problems to do nights or weekends.

Thanks for your response!!

In that case, I’d get on Google maps, and make a list of all of the haulage firms in your area. If they have a website, and they are advertising for drivers, then great, but if not, make up an envelope with a CV, and specific cover letter, and drop them directly into the depots, stating that you’re looking for work, and if you could be of any assistance. E-mailing doesn’t get the best responses, nor does phoning them, so you’ve got nothing to lose by dropping-in! :smiley:

I went through a phase of job-searching not long ago, so I’m quite up to date with what firms in Yorkshire are after. Trampers are by far the most sought-after, but like I said, the day work gets swallowed-up quite quickly, and there’s lots of competition for it. If you’re willing to do nights, then that will probably be your best asset.

Stobarts will very-likely need night drivers, and I think WH Malcolm always need drivers. The transport manager got back to me the same day when I applied. You could possibly give Maritime a go too, and XPO always seem to be recruiting.

Good luck, and you’ll definitely find something :slight_smile:

Thanks Rottweiler22!! :wink:

Im leaving the RAF next month and live in the same area as you. I’d absolutely love some tramping work and I have an application in with Stobarts at the moment which passed the vetting and I’ve been told I’m just waiting for a space. I no they get a lot of crap but its a decent first job on class 1 if you ask me. As for day driving don’t be to proud to take a Class 2 Job as there is a lot of local area day work in that field. Working in the food industry can mean better hours and free weekends compared to general haulage if your wanting a good home life. At least that’s what I’ve heard on here.

Could try Longs of Leeds or Expect distribution in Bradford,McDowalls in keighley as well,or are there any parcel hubs if your after nights trunking might be on offer

Or knock on doors talking to a TM will get your face known and if he hasn’t got any vacancies they might know who is hiring,