Newbie Just starting out

Hi all, first post but I’ve been lurking for a bit.

I’m 21 and wanted to do driving for a quite a while and am Now actually doing something about it.

I took a medical about 2 years ago because I knew i would use it eventually, so I’ve had my provisional since 2011. Recently studied for my theory test and HP, passed both last week. My first question is should I do my CPC case studies test now before I book training?

The main question is however what are my realistic chances of finding work, for Category C. I’m thinking that even if I don’t get work now it will be worth doing training just so I can tick the “license held two years” requirement by the time it’s 2015. I’m happy to do agency work, and even 7.5t work. My current thought train is that by getting the Category C entitlement, I will automatically gain Category C1 as well, be able to work that for say 2 years at which point my driving experience will make me a more attractive employee for category C work. Ideally I would want to start doing Cat C work as soon as possible but I understand that might not be a reality.

What are your thoughts?

Place an advert for free in the truck magazines offering your services.Vosa have a list of hauliers in your area by looking on the O licence application lists online.
Try some farms or owner drivers looking for holiday cover.Check local papers and free mags like Trade It that have driving jobs.
Job sites of Eures ,Rapido or Gumtree.

Why have you wanted to drive a truck?

CherwellTruck:
My first question is should I do my CPC case studies test now before I book training?

Yes
drivingtheory4all.co.uk/Publ … er-CPC.htm

mac12:
Why have you wanted to drive a truck?

Just love driving in general, I’ve done quite a bit of drivers mate work in the past too, enjoyed that but would rather be behind the wheel. I would like to say money also but I understand wages are not quite like what they used to be. Hopefully would still be better than £7.20/hour warehouse work though.

You might not get more per hour but you will get more hours at work so therefore more money

Depends where in the country you are as depends on wages up here in the North East it is from about £7.00 ph up to not a lot more unless you with Aldi who pay £10.40 but dont forget you have to load & unload yourself with them

Most people want at least 6 month checkable experience so poss forget this 2 years experience but you could go do your CE as that could open more door for you

Was talking to a lad lat week who was 21 passed his cat C earlier in year but driving a van as he has no driving experience at all so you may have to take that at least you will get to know the road network if nothing else

Although there are some companies that do take on new young drivers a lot dont due to insurance know when I had my company are insurance was for over 25 only as if younger than that it would have been more than double

But go for it nothing to stop you

Hi there CherwellTruck!

Welcome onto the forum and I hope all goes well with your training. Yes, I think it’s a good idea to get the entitlement on your licence even if you don’t actually end up using it for a while. Like I have always stated, I really do believe there are jobs out there for anyone regardless of age or experience, but these jobs aren’t going to jump into anybody’s lap. You must get out there and find it! Being in the right place at the right time is the main thing, and if you also have C+E entitlement you will find far more opportunities come your way.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Good luck mate. :sunglasses:

LJ.

welcome :smiley:

If its what you want to do then you will find a job , there are lots of young drivers on here that have got work young just by being bloody minded and persevering, Sam on here is a youngster and hes doing fine , he did not wait for it to come to him he got out there and found it , good luck with it all if you have the right attitude you will make it honest :wink:

Good morning!

In regards to getting work, you should be able to get agency work fairly quickly, more than likely they’ll have you driving 7.5t for a while. But keep at it and you’ll soon get given a chance on something a little bigger. I only passed my class 2 last month but I’ve managed to secure myself a full time job now, the biggest issue you are going to encounter is being under 25(I’m 23 so had the same issue) but keep positive, be enthusiastic and knock on as many doors as possible and somebody will give you a chance!

All the best