Newbie........is it worth doing class2 training?

Hi everyone,
A question asked many times I think!!
I’m a bus driver and am thinking of doing my class 2 licence in the hope to change career to LGV’S… is that a good or bad move? Also would it be worth me doing ADR, HIAB, forklift etc?
Any help is much welcomed.
Thanks

If you want to drive trucks then yes it’s worth doing. Just accept that your unlikely to land a good job straight away and that your PCV experience won’t count for much. ADR imo is pointless when your new as you’ll struggle to find someone who’ll let you loose with a normal load never mind a dangerous one. HIAB is good if you want to do builders merchants working 8-4 and earning a pittance. Forklift is pointless unless you want to be a forklift driver. No site you deliver to will let you near one of their forklifts due to H&S most of them don’t even trust you with your own keys.

Yes cat C is worth doing if you want to drive a truck but as said I wouldn’t bother with ADR & certainly not a forklift. I’ve been driving cat C for about 7 months and will be put through ADR by my employer soon & probably Moffat if I push them for it, so if you find the right employment you may get the extras anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your replies, sound advice.
Was looking to do part time class 2 to start with via agency and then once I’ve gained experience start looking for a full time job.

Hi I’m a class 2 driver (have been for around 9 1/2 months now) and have been in full time employment since shortly after I passed. I’ve got my ADR certificate and use it daily (certainly adds a decent chunk to my take home) I’ve had my ADR since September but my employer put me through it and paid the lot as he needed me to have it for my new run (not sure if as a newbie it’s worth doing off your own back though?) I think to be part of this industry you need to want to be a trucker like most of us and not be coming in to earn “big bucks” as I’ve not come across many high paying roles certainly not in the pallet network game (that I’m in) unfortunately your PSV experience will count for 0 in this industry as far as I’m aware however it may put you in a better standing for your training seeing as you are already used to larger vehicles :slight_smile: I was just lucky my current firm don’t mind new pass drivers either class 2 or 1. I don’t think pallet networks can afford to be fussy though to be fair as my place goes through drivers like nobody’s business and not many guys stick around long. Class 1 next month and hopefully on to a class 1 role shortly after but as said it’s not for the money it’s because that’s what I want to do :smiley: hth. Ryan

It depends where you live tbh if you do ADR or not but due to the cpc a lot of driver now have this

Look to see what is around you work wise ( not agency ) as said you PSV will count for nowt in this industry but help in the training if/when you do start driving them it may help you only as you are used to the size of the vehicle

Driving a lorry is a way of life not really a career as you prob know from driving busses but go for it if you really want

Yep it’s worth it , ive been doing it over a year just make sure you work for a firm with the right sized cabs as tramping in a low cab is not comfortable

blue estate:
Yep it’s worth it , ive been doing it over a year just make sure you work for a firm with the right sized cabs as tramping in a low cab is not comfortable

Depends on your hight as I can stand up in most cabs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: due to being vertically challenged :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

animal:

blue estate:

Depends on your hight as I can stand up in most cabs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: due to being vertically challenged :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m 5ft 10 so a low cab MAN is painfull but can stand up in higher roofed TGM TGS ok

blue estate:

animal:

blue estate:

I’m 5ft 10 so a low cab MAN is painfull but can stand up in higher roofed TGM TGS ok

You are only 1ft taller than me :laughing: :laughing:

pbc453:
Hi everyone,
A question asked many times I think!!
I’m a bus driver and am thinking of doing my class 2 licence in the hope to change career to LGV’S… is that a good or bad move? Also would it be worth me doing ADR, HIAB, forklift etc?
Any help is much welcomed.
Thanks

I did the same thing moving from working on the buses to class 2, getting offered work has not been a problem esp. Monday to Friday jobs. But the element which has coursed a bit of a problem has been down to needing Wednesday off everyweek for a uni course.

So I have been doing agency work between september and now, who have been fine counting driving buses as experince. Personally I say go for it, it has been one of the best things I have done this year.

animal:

blue estate:

animal:

blue estate:

You are only 1ft taller than me :laughing: :laughing:

Well I’ve got 19 inches, and you can take that anyway you like! :wink: