Newbie Intro and advice required

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group, give a quick blurb about me and ask for some advice.

I love driving and have always liked the idea of doing this for a living. I am currently in a fortunate position of being in permanent employment in a full time job. My other half works shifts so looking at doing my C+E license and doing a bit of adhoc work on the weekends she is on shift which tends to be three every five, maybe also use this as a cautious go between for a potnetial career change before completely taking the plunge in becoming a full time driver.

I have read the majority of threads on this website relating to training, I understand the risks of the dreaded “brokers” so am staying well clear, and have found the general advice really useful and informative. I have done some research on local training providers, around the Chester area and have shortlisted some I like the look of, that as far as I am aware are not brokers.

I just want to know if anybody on here has had any first hand experience with any on the list, how they found the training, trainers, facilities etc. I am of course, going to be visiting them myself before reaching a decision but thought it would be worth the ask first.

The training providers I am looking at are:

1. P&G Driver Training (they seem to be linked in someway to Emerald Training Solutions)■■
  2. Chevron LGV Training
  3. Mantra Learning (Warrington)
  4. TRUCK training

Just a few other things to note. I have already completed my theory tests, driver medical and have the provisional entitlement on my license so its just the practical training and exams for C, C+E and CPC I am looking to do (CPC theory I will do during driver training). Going to test the water on the agency work and perhaps aim for my ADR in due course due to there being a lot of petro/chemical businesses near me - got to have a plan dont you :bulb:

If you know of any other training providers in the area worth a mention, feel free to do so in your response as I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Chevron has a great rep on this site and I suspect many would put them as top choice

Because of the EU driver regs weekly rest requirements then driving for one day every other weekend is likely too be the legal limit

In any fixed week, which is sunday midnight to sunday midnight, if you do any EU regs driving then your usual job counts as other work for those regs
That other work must legally be officially recorded and the best way is to use separate analogue cards, one for each day worked, with your name date start and finish time on each - after 29 calendar days those cards can be binned

Please check out the link in my signature below

Thanks for the advice Rog, I will take another look at the driving regs.

BamBam82:
Thanks for the advice Rog, I will take another look at the driving regs.

Your case is very easy because it means for you that you need 45 hours off in one go at least every other weekend and at least 24 hours off in one go every weekend but that is easily covered every other weekend by having 45 off ( 45 is more than 24 or it used to be when I was at school :laughing: )