Newbie insurance questions

Can anybody give me a rough idea of insurance costs for a newbie driver?

I am 41yrs old, only just passed my C+E with no convictions, points or claims. I would be driving my own truck worth very little and doing general haulage work (removals) possibly between the UK and Spain.

I am also confused by the different types of insurance available, what is RHA insurance?

In fact, as a newbie, I know nothing about the insurance side of driving, any tips would be great.

Finally, if I bought my own truck to work self-employed, would I need a vehicle operators licence?

Cheers to anyone who can help…

:bulb: :bulb: You might be better posting your question in the OWNER & FLEET OPERATORS FORUM :bulb: :bulb:

biglaughingjym:
Finally, if I bought my own truck to work self-employed, would I need a vehicle operators licence?

Yes, if you’re going UK to Spain you’ll need an international one.

Deffo need an operators licence and you will either need to have an International CPC yourself - or pay someone to be your transport manager.

To get an operators licence is quite complicated, you should go to the VOSA site where you can download eveything you need to know and an application form.

I’d say the insurance is the least of your worries!

Ditto what the other guys said re the operators license; international if you go abroad and a CPC holder, either yourself or contract it out. You will need to name your CPC holder on your application, that you have enough finances available, £6200.00 for your first vehicle, somewhere to park and a maintenance agreement. It’s a pain, but not that complicated.

RHA insurance? RHA will quote you for insurance or you may mean the limit of your liability of GIT (Goods in Transit) which is £1300.00 per tonne running on their Ts &Cs, but you need to be a member to legally adopt the RHA Conditions of Carriage. If you do not use Conditions of Carriage, either RHA or others, you can be held responsible for the full value of the load and possible consequential losses arising from non - delivery. For your insurance you just need to ring round and get quotes - vehicle, GIT, public liability. We use Burley Group Sheffield, who I’ve found to be straightforward.

If I’ve missed something, I’m sure someone will put me right.

VOSA are pretty helpful if you need to enquire on the o license side.

Sorry just re-read your post, removals may be different on the GIT given that it’s personal effects, but a good insurance agent should be able to put you right.

… and don’t forget to come back and let us know how you got on?

(He’s probably started to price a few things up & had to take a holiday to recover!)

If vehicle is low value i expect In ternational removals to Spain insurance for a new start will be about the value of the truck in premuims. :unamused: