Newbie in Kent

Hi all, been lurking here for a while and thought it was about time I said hello.
Been wondering about going for an HGV licence for a few years and when a job came up at work I thought I’d ask if they’d consider me for it and help me get my license. That’s what brought me here…

They said no! But I thought sod it, I’ll do it under my own steam anyway! I’m not really unhappy in my current job it’s pretty laid back and only 2 miles from home but the money isn’t great and it can get pretty boring at times. I enjoy the driving aspects of my job, especially telehandlers and shunting lorries around the yard and when I was a fair bit younger I used to drive 7.5 tonners around west London which was fun! So I reckon it’s time I got myself out on the road properly.
I had a medical a couple of weeks ago and my provisional licence dropped through the door today so I got straight online and booked up my theory and hazard perception tests, doing those on 13th November, it’s all starting to feel real now!
Sorry about the novel, I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the very useful advice I’ve read on here so far :smiley:

Do you have your 35 hours driver cpc done?

If no then find a trainer who has their C and C+E courses dcpc approved so you can get some of those 35 hours from doing those courses - cost a little more to cover the dcpc but worth it

Have a good physical look around before you book. Avoid the websites that quote “35 centres” or similar - they are simply brokers who will charge you the earth and send you for the cheapest training they can find.

Arrange assessment drives at a minimum of 2 trainers - this is often free. Satisfy yourself that you are happy before booking. Never book without visiting unless you have rock solid recommendation.

This might help dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

If you’re prepared to go residential, we give 10% discount to Trucknet users.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
Do you have your 35 hours driver cpc done?

If no then find a trainer who has their C and C+E courses dcpc approved so you can get some of those 35 hours from doing those courses - cost a little more to cover the dcpc but worth it

No CPC hours yet, I was a LOT younger when I was in 7.5s! I should be able to get at least some of my hours through work, should be able to swing a moffett ticket as some of those hours. I was indeed hoping to find an approved trainer to get the hours and ideally 2-1 training to get more hours and I think I’d prefer it.

Peter Smythe:
Have a good physical look around before you book. Avoid the websites that quote “35 centres” or similar - they are simply brokers who will charge you the earth and send you for the cheapest training they can find.

Arrange assessment drives at a minimum of 2 trainers - this is often free. Satisfy yourself that you are happy before booking. Never book without visiting unless you have rock solid recommendation.

This might help dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

If you’re prepared to go residential, we give 10% discount to Trucknet users.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes I saw the warnings regarding training brokers and will be avoiding like the plague!
I have shortlisted 4 trainers and planning to go for a drive with all of them although a couple are a fair drive away and I have transport issues at the mo :unamused:
Just out of interest do you do residential courses at Peterborough? Would the training count towards my DCPC hours? And would I need my own transport between the lodgings and the training?

Hello and welcome :sunglasses:

Ghost01:
Hello and welcome :sunglasses:

Hi, thanks :smiley:

A basic 5 day dcpc approved C course done 2 to 1 would get 28 hours dcpc

Top that up with 7 hours on the regs and you would be sorted

ROG:
A basic 5 day dcpc approved C course done 2 to 1 would get 28 hours dcpc

Top that up with 7 hours on the regs and you would be sorted

That sounds like a good plan. Another quick question then, once I have my 35 hours to start driving, can I immediately start getting my next 35 hours?

And thanks everyone for all the replies so far :smiley:

Les Shoes:
once I have my 35 hours to start driving, can I immediately start getting my next 35 hours?

YES although I would wait for the DQC to arrive to be certain

Do the next 35 in the next month after completing the first 35 gets you a new DQC with an almost 10 year expiry date

DCPC hours can only be counted if within 5 years of the current DQC expiry date

ROG:

Les Shoes:
once I have my 35 hours to start driving, can I immediately start getting my next 35 hours?

Do the next 35 in the next month after completing the first 35 gets you a new DQC with an almost 19 year expiry date

I’m guessing that should read ‘almost 10 year expiry date’? If so, I get it, thanks :smiley:

Les Shoes:

ROG:

Les Shoes:

Do the next 35 in the next month after completing the first 35 gets you a new DQC with an almost 19 year expiry date

I’m guessing that should read ‘almost 10 year expiry date’? If so, I get it, thanks :smiley:

NOW it says 10 years :blush: :laughing:

Beware of brokers !! Check for a DSA certified only schools, don’t go for Cowboys, they might be cheaper but there is a good reasons for that. This forum has some recommended schools ( purely based on recommendation and not an advertising fee ) . Good luck and don’t give up :slight_smile: