Newbie Here

Hi Guys, I have decided to join after reading on the forum for some time. I am studying fro my Theory/HP/CPC mod 2, that I have booked for the 17th. Using the driving test success, and CPC driving theory4all material. I’ve been a Van Driver for a Major Supermarket for the last 5 years, and been driving for 12 years, and at 30 have decided to pursue a career as a LGV Driver. I have a Wife, Kids, Mortgage and want a well paid job. When I’m in the warehouse unloading my Iveco Daily and a artic pulls in next to me, I Quite often look up and think “I Wish I could do That”. Does anyone know the chances of getting a Job within a Supermarket after passing the test? For my practical I have the following schools shortlisted that I will contact after passing the theory’s.

1. Gordon Springate
  2. Kent Metro
  3. Eddie Stobart
  4. Peter Smythe

I’m after the best quality training I can get, Anyone that have used any of these schools please feel free to comment.

Anyway I thought I’d say “Hi” any advice, Tips appreciated. :smiley:

Have you looked at the link in my signature below?

To find out about certain jobs you would be best to contact potential employers now to find out what their policies are on hiring newbies

You can do all 3 theory tests on the same day - many have done that with great success

Hi ROG, yea I’ve had a good look at your Info, very helpful too. I didn’t think I would contact my employers DC yet until I actually acquire my licence as I thought that would show them I am serious. Not just some Home Shopping driver testing the water on policy’s that wants to try and get free training or summit. I would like to continue my employment with the same company If I could as I’m pretty settled there. But would be willing to change Jobs if the right Secure Job/Wage came up. Yup all tests are booked for the same day , I have about a week to go and am passing mock tests easily, I am pretty confident.

I’ve been a Van Driver for a Major Supermarket for the last 5 years

2 days a week off ?

Yeah. £6-£7 an hour, and the hours are a bit hit and miss, ie.Early finishes, light/No Run ect.

Legally you could drive under EU regs for one day every other week so that might be an option if keeping your current job

You say you want a well paid job, your hourly rate may be higher where you are and no need to spend £2500 getting trained.

I thought the money was pretty good on Class 1 & 2? What should I realistically be expecting to earn per hour then? Thanks for all your replies.

Could be as low as £6.50 per hour. There are higher paying jobs but not many new drivers get them. There was a driver on here a couple of weeks ago who had been talking to a van driver and the van driver was on double the money.

Depends on where you are, if you’re in an area with plenty of drivers then you might find it hard to get something good. Do your research on what is around you and what you want to work towards.

I’m in your position - in a decent job but want something ‘more’. Whether that ‘more’ will come with extra money I don’t know but for me it’s about enjoying what I do more than just the pay packet (although of course that needs to achieve a decent level too).

The training is likely to be of useful anyway even if you can’t find what you want straight away. Good luck regardless! :smiley: