Newbie here

Hi everyone, i would just like to say what a great site this is, has provided a wealth of information and an insight into the every day life of a trucker.

Im 25, live around the south of Bristol, had my car driving license for almost 2 years now, and i passed very easily, my instructor told me i was a natural, and said hes glad that not everyone learns as quick as me as he would be very poor. :laughing:

Which is why i have been thinking about doing my Class C license, and if i like it, progress to the C+E.

I am about to order a book off ebay for the driving theory side of things, any advice/tips on this or should i just memorise the book back to front? Is this the correct one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HGV-PSV-PCV-LGV-DSA-DRIVING-THEORY-TEST-TRAINING-CD-DVD_W0QQitemZ260468903550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Software_Software_SR?hash=item3ca5280e7e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I take it you have to pass a medical and the theory before you can start any driver training?

What is a good price for the Category C? and the inevitable question, how likely am i going to get a job in it? I dont mind just doing weekend stuff to begin with so that I can build up my experience a bit which will give me better prospects.

I think that is pretty much everything I can think of at the moment, more may be added later!

Cheers guys

Welcome to TRUCKNET! ROG will be along soon after his afternoon nap. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

First of all welcome to the madhouse

with reference the book you need to learn it parrot fasion but a lot of it is common sense and you can work out the answers by elimination.
my advice about the book is buy the relevant one, its not worth buying an older one (you might get away with last years) but any older and the questions may have changed. (by the way, thats a CD/DVD)

you do need to have a medical and pass the theory before you can start training. shop around for these as they price varies drastically from place to place.

just because you passed with flying colours in a car doesnt mean to say you will be a natural in a wagon, it is a lot different but once you get used to it it is quite easy.

good luck with it all and if you have any questions pop on here and someone will answer them (no matter how daft you think the question is , it probably isnt daft and we have all asked it at some point)

my god, two people beating ROG to a newbie post, whats that all about? he hasnt been kidnapped has he?

Hi, cheers for the reply, i did notice it was a CD/DVD, but have just found a 2009 book, which will be better then a CD anyway as i will not have to be near a computer to read it.

I have also found somewhere that does a medical for £50, is that a good price?

One of the main reasons for me doing this is because i want a security net to fall back on just incase my current job goes ■■■■ up and doesnt work out for me. I dont currently have the funds to carry out training but should have in a month or 2. Id much rather pay all up front then pay by finance, as you always end up spending more.

And, what is a realistic price for Category C training? not including the theory and medical?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome colz1234 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members and the total process for obtaining a LGV licence can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Lee G:
my god, two people beating ROG to a newbie post, whats that all about? he hasnt been kidnapped has he?

Nah - just having lunch :wink: :laughing:

colz1234:
I have also found somewhere that does a medical for £50, is that a good price?

YES - there is a link to cheap medicals via the link in my signature

colz1234:
what is a realistic price for Category C training? not including the theory and medical?

AH !!
For modules 1a, 1b & 2 - probably just the books and theory test fees
Module 3 - most include the test fee so I’d say about the £1,000 mark but that would be a first time pass - add between £200 to £300 for each retest if needed
Module 4 - I’m guessing the training and test will be anything between £200 to £400

So in total, if I was planning to do this, I would say that I need to have £2,000 just in case but that would be for EVERYTHING to get C

Probably need about £1,500 to do it but I would not like to get so far and then find out that I came up short for a restest or something.

PS - you have a PM (Private Message - top of page)

:smiley: hello mate welcome to the mad house. please remember any questions just ask. there is no such thing as a stupid question only the one you dont ask. remember we have all been were you are now and come through it. good luck and welcome. :sunglasses:

Hi colz1234 and well come to trucknet, :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: just to add make sure you get you C+E provisional saves you time if you do go for C+E

delboytwo:
Hi colz1234 and well come to trucknet, :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: just to add make sure you get you C+E provisional saves you time if you do go for C+E

C+E provisional is usually automatically given to those that pass C but DVLA have beeen known to make the ‘odd’ error :wink:

you do need to have a medical and pass the theory before you can start training

Not strictly true. You will need a medical (£50 is very good) and receive your provisional licence and then you can start practical training. BUT you won’t be able to take your practical test until the theory has been passed. So, to most intents and purposes, yes you need to pass the theory first. The exception to the rule is the trainee who want to make a “steady” start rather than go straight for a block course. EG 3 or 4 hours a week for a week or two. In that time you could also pass the theory test (having milked all the info from your instructor FOC!)

You are also able to book assessment drives without the theory cert. You only need the provisional licence.

Whichever way you choose, best of luck with the training and test :laughing: :laughing: