Newbie help needed

hi im new here ive been scouring the net this last week trying to find an answer and come up with nothing but followed a link to thread on these forums so thought i’d sign up and ask for your help :slight_smile:

ive had hgv 1 for years but never really use it and only recently started doing any drivng again to help out at work

i currently work in a builders merchant hgv hiab driver,
at the moment my new lorry is in the garage having the correct crane fitted so here is my situation

ive only recently started driving full time again as i normally work in the shop and only covered the hgv drivers for holidays or sickness only so not sure on the rules

i drove the hgv saturday 4th june for a couple of hours then ive used a transit tipper monday to friday for most of the month of june

week 1

from monday 13th june to friday 17th june i drove the hgv all week 7.30am to 4.30pm maximum of about 4.5hrs actual driving i guess

on saturday 18th june i worked in the shop as cover 8.30am to 12pm

week 2

this week 20th june to thursday 23th june i worked driving our tipper transit van 7.30am -4.30pm
on friday 24th i drove the van till 2pm then we had stocktake till 7pm

on saturday 25th june i worked stocktaking 7.30am till 4.30pm no break

ive been told by the road transport association inspector who does our tacho checks that im under tacho rules for 2 weeks from the 1st day i drive with a tacho vehicle

if that’s correct my understanding is i should take a 45 hour break at least every other week ?

as i reduced it slightly during week 1 i need to take 45 hours this week before resuming work tomorrow 27th june ? and add on the hours lost to the end of week 3 ?

ive been told by rta woman and our fleet transport man that im under tacho rules

the manager says im exempt from these rules as i drove the transit last week

i need to find out what the actual rules are as i dont want to drive illegally

i have trouble believing what i’m told by the company as ive already had issues over weight limits and safe loading where ive been told outright lies by my manager and transport managers to the point where ive had to prove i was in the right even then they still try to threaten me and the other driver with a disciplinary

can any of you guys help as im beggining to wish i hadn’t agreed to help out driving

No need for a weekly rest this week, none of what you have done counts as anything for the EU Driver’s Hours Regulations. You only need to observe weekly rest periods in a week where you actually drive under EU rules, and daily rest periods for the days you actually drive.

the person who told you that you are under EU regulations for 2 weeks from the day you first drive under them is talking out their arse and shouldn’t be doing any kind of tacho checks.