Newbie driver, question driver hours

Hey,
So I’ve recently passed my class 2 and both of my initial cpc modules. So I’m fully qualified now to drive for a living :smiley:.
Its cost me a fortune but hopefully the company I work for will have a driver position soon.
Basically I work aprox 4-5 days a week 25-35 hours (varies week by week).
I’ve spoke to an agency and they can give me work on my day off from working in the shop.
Does the weekly rest period only count as rest from driving? Or is it complete rest, As I could work 7 days a week in the shop if I could get the hours but am I allowed to work 4 days in the shop and 2 days driving for an agency?

The hours are the main thing that confuses me at the moment.
Thanks for the help, seems like a great forum :smiley:

Hi,

It’s complete rest, your shop work would count as other work.

4 in the shop and 2 behind the wheel is fine as long as you get in 45 hours uninterrupted break somewhere between midnight Sunday and the same time the following week.

gov.uk/drivers-hours/eu-rules

Thanks for the info,

This is really fraustrating as I don’t do long days in the shop , even if I were to do 5 days at 25 hours over 5 days I’m not going to be allowed to drive on one of my days off :frowning:. Very fraustrating as I want to try and get some experience with an agency before my company offer me a job .

After reading the regs this might be useful as I have put it slightly differently …

A fixed week is sunday midnight to sunday midnight - the regs use the term ‘week’ to mean the fixed week

There must be a weekly rest IN every week and a weekly rest that is at least 1 minute in a week can be used for that week

Each weekly rest can only be used once

In every other week there must be a regular 45 weekly rest and in the other weeks the weekly rest can be as little as 24 hours which is called a reduced weekly rest as it is less than 45 hours

Official records must be done for every week in which a driver comes under EU regs
That means that the other job must be recorded in those weeks and the easiest way to do that is to use a separate analogue card for each day worked with the drivers name date start and finish time on each card
After 29 days the cards are useless so can be binned - the authorities need to see them to determine what rest has been taken over the last 29 calendar days

For those that work mon to fri it generally works out that they can only drive for one day every other weekend
If they do drive every other weekend then they end up with records for every other week showing a reduced weekly rest for the weeks in which they drove and the weeks with no records are taken on faith to be weeks in which a regular weekly rest was done

I hope this put in my own way has helped and not confused the issue

Vosty:
This is really fraustrating as I don’t do long days in the shop , even if I were to do 5 days at 25 hours over 5 days I’m not going to be allowed to drive on one of my days off :frowning:.

One day of driving every other week is ok in that scenario

If you did say 8am to 1pm in the shop then you can still go driving under EU regs until 11pm that day - that would be a reduced daily rest and a max three of those can be done between weekly rests

You could do 8am to 1pm in shop and drive under EU regs till 9pm every one of those 5 days and still drive for one full day every other week

And dont forget it will be classed as a second job so tax man will want his share.