Newbie Brisol area

Hello people, been registered on this site since january just never got round to posting, also learned alot of very useful information on this site to help me threw my training so thankyou. ok so about me im 26 and ive always wanted to drive trucks ever since i was at school but there is a big BUT, i had epilepsy. I didnt really think i would be able to follow my dream so got my head down and just done factory work, to drive trucks having had epilepsy you have to be fit free and not had any medication within 10 years, so a phonecall to the dvla just before christmas they said i am now eligable to apply for my hgv so off they sent the forms. so done that decided to do my medical with my actual doctor because the dvla need confirmation about dates of fits ect so didnt want to pay the cheap one to find they couldnt provide the information needed then would have to pay again so that came back ok, on the 22nd feb i completed my mutiple choice test, haz percep, cpc case study at taunton thank god i passed all three on the same day, so now its time to start looking for hgv training so i popped into somax backwell, seemed nice but i was a bit put off by the price, fogot to mention around december i did send off for an information pack from scania training which im still waiting for plus i read someone on here said they dont answer calls or never got back to them, anyway i found lgv dynamic driver training which advertises the price on his website which i thought thats brilliant compared to somax so went to his house and decided i was going to do my cat c with him, so think it was the monday 25th march done 6 hours tuesday 6 hours whilst at the traing centre karl from dynamic driver training had been trying to book cpc module 4 online which was ages away so at the test centre spoke to the dsa bloke he said ill get you in tomorrow, so wednesday had 4 hours plus my mod 4 which i passed then thursday was my big test which i failed, was gutted. ok so the next retest was in two weeks time 11th april so had a few hours training the day before to get back into it and failed again, so asked for a retest which would be another two weeks which was today. so left avonmouth this morning absaloute bag of nerves off to bristol test centre. So on the way back i sat in the passenger seat with my pass certificate woop woop so big thanks to karl. So now the real learning curve is about to happen, im not put off by the whole 2 years ect. i currently work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts alternate days and night. so at christmas on my days off done some agency work as drivers mates to get in on the agency so the get to know you i know its crap. but i just popped into the agengy and there going to try and arrange an assesment with may gurney on the dust carts. not really what i want to do but beggars cant be choosers so gotta start somewhere. defonately doing my class c + e but think ill get some experience 1st. thanks for reading. Dan :grimacing:

Hi there Dan!

Many congratulations on sticking with it and obtaining your cat C licence. :sunglasses:

Yes, I think you are going the right way about it, in trying to get experience through agencies. You are certainly showing that you have the right positive attitude and that will help you loads. It’s a pain, as we all know, having to do it, but unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time, it’s not so easy to fall upon a permanent full time LGV driving job. In saying that, it’s not impossible as many people on this forum can confirm.

As you are no doubt aware, if you do upgrade your licence to C+E that will most definitely open more doors for you. So, may I wish you all the very best with your shiny new licence, and good luck if you decide to upgrade it in the near future. Stay safe out there! :slight_smile:

wheelspin:
Hello people, been registered on this site since january just never got round to posting, also learned alot of very useful information on this site to help me threw my training so thankyou.

ok so about me im 26 and ive always wanted to drive trucks ever since i was at school but there is a big BUT, i had epilepsy.

I didnt really think i would be able to follow my dream so got my head down and just done factory work, to drive trucks having had epilepsy you have to be fit free and not had any medication within 10 years, so a phonecall to the dvla just before christmas they said i am now eligable to apply for my hgv so off they sent the forms.

so done that decided to do my medical with my actual doctor because the dvla need confirmation about dates of fits ect so didnt want to pay the cheap one to find they couldnt provide the information needed then would have to pay again so that came back ok,

on the 22nd feb i completed my mutiple choice test, haz percep, cpc case study at taunton thank god i passed all three on the same day,

so now its time to start looking for hgv training so i popped into somax backwell, seemed nice but i was a bit put off by the price, fogot to mention around december i did send off for an information pack from scania training which im still waiting for plus i read someone on here said they dont answer calls or never got back to them,

anyway i found lgv dynamic driver training which advertises the price on his website which i thought thats brilliant compared to somax so went to his house and decided i was going to do my cat c with him,

so think it was the monday 25th march done 6 hours tuesday 6 hours whilst at the traing centre karl from dynamic driver training had been trying to book cpc module 4 online which was ages away so at the test centre spoke to the dsa bloke he said ill get you in tomorrow,

so wednesday had 4 hours plus my mod 4 which i passed then thursday was my big test which i failed, was gutted.

ok so the next retest was in two weeks time 11th april so had a few hours training the day before to get back into it and failed again, so asked for a retest which would be another two weeks which was today.

so left avonmouth this morning absaloute bag of nerves off to bristol test centre.

So on the way back i sat in the passenger seat with my pass certificate woop woop so big thanks to karl.

So now the real learning curve is about to happen, im not put off by the whole 2 years ect. i currently work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts alternate days and night.

so at christmas on my days off done some agency work as drivers mates to get in on the agency so the get to know you i know its crap. but i just popped into the agengy and there going to try and arrange an assesment with may gurney on the dust carts. not really what i want to do but beggars cant be choosers so gotta start somewhere.

defonately doing my class c + e but think ill get some experience 1st. thanks for reading. Dan :grimacing:

Well done - nice write up but I had to split it up a bit cos I am old and have trouble reading a sea of text :laughing:

PS - you do not pay more if using a cheaper doctor then DVLA want more info from your GP but it would take a little longer

Congratulations, you’re in a good place Bristol has plenty of job opportunities.

congrats matey , and dont worry about the dustcarts , you will have a really good laugh with them, once you get the hang of the rear wheel steer is easy its amazing where them things will go , if they are anything like the guys here your cheeks will be hurting from laughing most of the day , with summer coming those early finishes will be handy too ,

good luck :smiley:

ps nice to see ya back posting LJA :smiley:

Jennie:

Aww Thanks Jennie! :blush: Ya obviously missed my first post back → Has anybody missed me? :-/ - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK :open_mouth:

How are you getting on with your C+E now, as I remember us both looking to upgrade at the same time albeit in different places?

LJA:

Jennie:

Aww Thanks Jennie! :blush: Ya obviously missed my first post back → Has anybody missed me? :-/ - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK :open_mouth:

How are you getting on with your C+E now, as I remember us both looking to upgrade at the same time albeit in different places?

Well have had the ticket over a year now and have done many different artic jobs , still on agencies as that suits me and just fit it round my other work , actually out tomorrow night up to Fradley Park litchfield , found a firm I love working for they do UPN pallet work and could not ask for a nicer bunch of guys to work for always give me first refusal by ringing direct before ringing agency to check my availability , so all good ta , sorry missed your return post , just thought that you had not been posting as was tramping and did not have internet access , glad your doing good , thought you had forgotten us all lol
take care :wink:

Jennie:
Well have had the ticket over a year now and have done many different artic jobs , still on agencies as that suits me and just fit it round my other work , actually out tomorrow night up to Fradley Park litchfield , found a firm I love working for they do UPN pallet work and could not ask for a nicer bunch of guys to work for always give me first refusal by ringing direct before ringing agency to check my availability , so all good ta , sorry missed your return post , just thought that you had not been posting as was tramping and did not have internet access , glad your doing good , thought you had forgotten us all lol
take care :wink:

Yeah, I remember you actually passed before I did, due to me not passing first time! :blush: Glad to see you have been getting plenty of work & experience and that you are happy with the work you are doing now. It was all worth it in the end wasn’t it? :smiley:

Ok on missing my first post back. In fact if you follow the link I posted above, you can view it there. In it I explain what I’ve been up to since being away from the forum.

Yes, I was out and about tramping and although I had internet on my phone, it’s just not the same trying to read stuff on a mobile so I just didn’t bother, and before ya know it a whole year passes by! But, I didn’t forget ya all…honest!! :blush: