Newbie and first time on the forum!

Hi all,

First post on here. I took my Cat C test on 3rd August this year and passed. I then put in for my Cat C+E and passed that test on 6th September.

I then had a bit of a panic and wondered if I was doing the right thing in going for a complete career change at the age of nearly 37, knowing how hard it is for a newbie to get work.

However, I’m pleased to say that I applied for a couple of Cat C+E jobs last week and today went for an interview and driving assessment for one of the companies I applied to. All went quite well and they have offered me a full time job driving artics Mon-Fri (day work). They have also offered to take me on as a casual driver in the first instance, if I prefer, so that I don’t have to give up my current job. This will help me to decide if it’s definitely the right move for me.

See you around on the forum, cheers!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum - a great bunch on here!

Nice one on the new job offer, it couldn’t be any better really - giving you the choice! Hope you enjoy it, regardless of which option you go for, I know I’m really enjoying my Saturday’s doing multi-drop for co-op.

Cheers
Steeps

Thanks Steeps,

I’m in two minds at the moment. Part of me wants to dive in and go full time straight away and the other side of me wants to ‘ease’ myself into the job by going casual first! Either way, I’m really chuffed to be offered a Class 1 job so soon after passing my test, I really didn’t expect to get so lucky so quickly!

Cheers
Lee

If I was you I would take the casual 1st to see if you like it as not for everyone then if you do like go full time that is if you have the option

Hello and Welcome Lee

Good time und fun here

Regards

Robert

Hi Lee,

I would go for the casual option to start with, lots of new drivers on this forum have started driving full time and got a shock! and realised it is nothing like what they expected. However lots of them love it and say its the best thing they ever did.

Are you used to working long hours in your current employment?

Paul

If doing casual LGV driving under EU regs as well as a full time job then make sure you comply to the weekly rest rules for the regs as weel as the official recordings of the times for the full time job in any week in which you did EU regs driving

Generally if working in another job mon to fri then you can drive for one day every other weekend

Best way to record the full time job where you also did EU regs driving in the same week is to use individual analogue cards for each day worked with your name date start and finish times on each card

Thanks for the welcome messages and for the advice ROG. I think I will take the full time option as driving is what I want to do and driving for just one day every other weekend is not enough and would take ages to rack up any kind of experience. I’m used to working long hours and the job I have now was just a stop gap whilst I got my licences.