Newbie after some advice....

Thanks guys - I thought I was doing OK, but reading about the “30 minutes for 6 hours” confused me as I wasn’t sure how that would fit in with the tacho break rules.

So if I’m working for more than 9 hours a day and driving for more than 4.5 hours, I need to take 45 break but will most likely have to split it 15-30 to cover WTD and tacho driving break rules

If I’m working more than 9 hours a day and not driving for more than 4.5 hours, I need a 45 break but can split it into three 15s if I wanted to as I don’t have to comply with driving break rule

If I’m working less than 9 hours a day and not driving for 4.5 hours I’d need 30 mins break either in one go before 6 hours or as two 15s

That is correct. But can you guarantee you are not going to go over your driving threshold at any point of your working day?

If its possible that you will, then its better to take the 15 and 30 to cover your driving break too.

Some days I’ll know that I won’t be, others I know that I will. But I suppose it might be best to err on the side of caution just in case!

Cheers for clarifying

Going back to this again, I’m on my driver hours cpc course today and it seems that I have been taking incorrect breaks.

Using the example I outlined above for a “typical” day, the instructor says I have to take 30 mins before 6 hours of total duty time is reached (in one go or two 15s) for WTD, and then if I exceed 4.5 hours driving I’ll need another 30 mins to cover driving hours rules. If my 4.5 hours driving is reached within the first 6 hours of driving and other work, I can just take a 45

Should I tell my employer about the fact I’ve been doing it wrong? Too late to worry much about it now, but I’m a bit concerned that for five weeks I’ve got it wrong on most days!

kevchalluk:
Going back to this again, I’m on my driver hours cpc course today and it seems that I have been taking incorrect breaks.

Using the example I outlined above for a “typical” day, the instructor says I have to take 30 mins before 6 hours of total duty time is reached (in one go or two 15s) for WTD, and then if I exceed 4.5 hours driving I’ll need another 30 mins to cover driving hours rules. If my 4.5 hours driving is reached within the first 6 hours of driving and other work, I can just take a 45

Should I tell my employer about the fact I’ve been doing it wrong? Too late to worry much about it now, but I’m a bit concerned that for five weeks I’ve got it wrong on most days!

The instructor is WRONG - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99021#p1464526

Oh my God this has my head spinning! I thought today would help clarify things, not make it worse!

Cheers for that link Rog, I’m paranoid that I’m doing it wrong!

15 minutes is the LEGAL minimum before 6 hours work.

Some companies ask you to take 30 minutes before 6 hours but to comply with legal requirements it only needs to be 15 minutes.

Clarify with your boss what the company policy is if in doubt.

Transport manager is on holiday next week, but will ask the other drivers what they do and check company policy with her when she gets back. We get 30 mins unpaid break per day, that’s all I know!

Kev, you seem to be worrying too much about your breaks.

I’m not sure what your delivering or where, but we work out of Milton Keynes & mostly run up to the M62 corridor-Hull-Liverpool & all points in between, Newport/Cardiff & Kent.
Most runs take between 2 & 4 hours, I usually get to the drop, unload, then take a 45/46min minimum, (sometimes I will take a 15/16minute break whilst being unloaded, if I’m sitting in the cab, then take a minimum 31 minute break before ringing in for a back load)
This way it clears my Tacho back to 0 & keeps my WTD in order as well.
Then if I need another break just take it on the way home.

If you’re worried about not taking enough breaks you could always put it on break whilst unloading (oops I didn’t say that !) but I like my sleep & 45 minutes is usually a nice little nap !

A typical day is above. Start with empty truck at 5.30 or 6, drive for a couple of hours, then four or five collections (so a mix of driving and other work) then two hours drive back and an hour or so to get unloaded (not done by me). I’ve been taking 15 within the first six hours of duty, then another 30 at lunch after my last collection cos I’m close to 4.5 hours driving but usually beyond 6 hours of duty time.

I think I’m worried just cos there seems to be some ambiguity in the interpretation of the WTD break rules. I’ve asked about it on here and been told what I’m doing is right, but reading the wording and talking to the CPC fella today it has confused me further. I guess I could just take two 30s as I’m paid hourly anyway, but that link Rog posted with the DfT fella email seems to reassure me that what I’m doing is ok!

kevchalluk:
that link Rog posted with the DfT fella email seems to reassure me that what I’m doing is ok!

Print off the letter in that link - that will sort out any issues

These are pics of the handout from the CPC course so you can see what I’m on about!

You not the only one who’s head is spinning with information over load bout rules, I have not long passed my HGV class 1, but I have now finished a weeks training with a company. OMG how stressful is it to learn so much, If the company you get with they should give you some training, going out with a driver who has been on the job for a while. Tell you what it makes you realise what these guys go through, I take my hat of to them. Don’t know if I’ve got what it takes to be a truck driver but at least i can say I’ve give it a go.

The guys and gals on here are very supportive and have a lot of knowledge, like it’s been said better to feel dumb and ask than put you or some one else in danger.

kevchalluk:
These are pics of the handout from the CPC course so you can see what I’m on about!

I wonder if the RHA know their logo is being used on a handout which is incorrect ?

The trainer said that the presentation was “an RHA one” and not one that he’d put together himself…

The RHA logo appeared throughout on each slide, and each header page

Well, I’ve just had my mind put to rest this morning cos I got pulled by VOSA near Altrincham and he checked my card and said it was “sound”

Relieved!

kevchalluk:
Well, I’ve just had my mind put to rest this morning cos I got pulled by VOSA near Altrincham and he checked my card and said it was “sound”

Relieved!

I bet your ■■■■ twitched a bit until he said it was ok :slight_smile:

Oh yeah definitely! Felt sure they’d find something not right!

dar1976:

kevchalluk:

Relieved!

I bet your ■■■■ twitched a bit until he said it was ok :slight_smile:

lol :laughing:

kevchalluk:

Relieved!

From my knowledge VOSA do not check the RTD at the roadside - only 561/2006 rules