Newbie after a recommedation!

Hi

Ive been reading loads of posts on here and got some really great information. Ive just been made redundant and dont want to be a sit on my **** dolehead…so, I’ve got the money and I’m gonna do what I’ve always wanted to…take the plunge into the utopia of HGV’s!!

What I’m after is a recommedation for the instruction, anywhere in the Nottingham or Derby area if anyone knows anywhere decent. I’ve trawlled the internet and prices all seem pretty much the same but I want the best instructor possible.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Tim :smiley:

there is a list of ecommended providers in the LGV TRAINING TIPS thread sticky

Have you read recent posts from other newbies on how the job situation actually is ?

Rog, thanks for the reply, ill have a look at the recommended lists. Seems to me that its the leg work you need to put in to secure the job!!!

timw:
Rog, thanks for the reply, ill have a look at the recommended lists. Seems to me that its the leg work you need to put in to secure the job!!!

From what I gather you are more likely to struggle to get the odd agency day and full time perm jobs are almost a thing of the past but you might get lucky

mmmmmm, I think that is the major thing to overcome really, that first step in the door. Ive been having a look around before hand and there seem to be a few places that will consider newly qualified drivers. Im 33 so at least im above the dreaded 25yrs!!!

Dont think Ive ever been happier to be getting old!!! :smiley:

As your in the area ,having just passed my c+e with peter smythe transport training ,i would certainly recommend them :wink: .
Plenty of posts on here about them … dont think ive seen any negative comments !

cheers Mike

Thanks Mike, I’m literally on Peter Smythes website now!!! If you dont mind me prying how are you finding the work situation?

Well i passed my cat c . 2 years ago scraped thru the test with 13 minors :blush: (still a pass is a pass :laughing: ) I did cat c with a one man band close to me not peter smythe i might add.
I got a job 3 weeks later with a local company driving tippers and now a hook lift skip truck . we allso do general haulage so im hoping to have the odd run with artic soon .
If i had the money i would probably have done c+e soon after cat c , but my 2 years on rigids was good experience and i found the step up to c +e quite easy really .
All the best with your training and test when the time comes :sunglasses:

cheers Mike

Thanks for that Mike, luckily I’m in the position where I’m wanting to do the class C and C+E back to back, thinking get them both done and dusted.

The job situation is the only thing that is worrying me. If I can get the training and test done and get qualified asap then I dont mind taking the £6 and £7 an hour work for a while until I can get a foot in the door elsewhere.

Hoping to end up either tramping or nationwide/international work…thats where I wanna end up!!! fingers crossed!!! :laughing:

Peter Smythe all the way mate, yes there a little more costly, but go for an assessment, then try other places, trust me you’ll go back, plus the roads watnal test centre dont make it easy, while its much calmer up mansfeild way,as well as the one man bands around Nottingham aren’t all dsa registered l, as I recently found out !

All the best

Danny

danny4646:
Peter Smythe all the way mate, yes there a little more costly, but go for an assessment, then try other places, trust me you’ll go back, plus the roads watnal test centre dont make it easy, while its much calmer up mansfeild way,as well as the one man bands around Nottingham aren’t all dsa registered l, as I recently found out !

All the best

Danny

+1

Thanks everyone, at the minute im torn between Peter Smythe and Rushtons. Had a really good chat with the guy from Rushtons this morning and they are the recommended list on trucknet.

Gonna chew it over this afternoon and start putting everything in motion tomorrow.

Peter Smyth for me brilliant set up did my class 2 with him totally professional and very good trainers you won’t need to go any where else, do them both back to back, Taylors Transport at Kirkby are always looking for drivers and will set on newly passed drivers TM is Pete West.

Brian J:
Peter Smyth for me brilliant set up did my class 2 with him totally professional and very good trainers you won’t need to go any where else, do them both back to back, Taylors Transport at Kirkby are always looking for drivers and will set on newly passed drivers TM is Pete wilson.

ftfy

Hi Brian

Thanks for the info, in fact, Taylors are on my list to discuss training as they advertise that they have their own HGV driver training. Was gonna contact them tomorrow morning and have a chat through the costs etc.

Seen their trucks up and down the motorway but didnt realise that they offered training and if theres a chance of being offered a job at the end of it maybe thats the way forward.

Thx again

Tim

Well, im sat chewing through the info you’ve all given, and despite the lack of companies taking newbies, im more determined than even, gonna try and get a medical done tomorrow, have to speak nicely to the GP lol

Im pretty much itching to get on with it now. Money is starting to burn hole in my pocket lol :grimacing:

timw:
Well, im sat chewing through the info you’ve all given, and despite the lack of companies taking newbies, im more determined than even, gonna try and get a medical done tomorrow, have to speak nicely to the GP lol

Im pretty much itching to get on with it now. Money is starting to burn hole in my pocket lol :grimacing:

Go for it - if not useful immediately then it is certainly likely to be in the future

I’ll try to be impartial.

Given the names that have come up as trainers, I would strongly suggest that you visit them and look at their vehicles, facilities and maybe have an assessment drive.

You will find that there are substantial differences between them though some are more expensive than others.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed my C with Roger Rushton and my C+E with Peter Smythe and would recommend both. I did however much prefer taking a test at Mansfield Woodhouse than Watnall.

Thanks for all the latest comments, Peter thanks for being impartial, what sort of waiting time do you have? Im going to be sending my license off by latest Wednesday this week.

I am going to send you a PM if you don’t mind, if you do then please delete and disregrd lol

Thanks again everyone, im getting the impression that all this info and good will is making this move in HGVin even more attractive!!!