Newbie advice - potential customer references

Hi all - another newbie starting up and requiring advice please!
I collect the truck on the 11th Dec and start work on 18th Dec for two weeks for a well respected chilled food company. Overall, the rates are pretty average but the truck is running days and nights so the work will be quite lucrative - after the new year it is going onto containers so at least the bills will be paid.
my question - i have been offered other work at rates far superior to those on containers but how do i check the company out? I very much believe that if something sounds to good to be true then it generally is to good to be true.
Is there anywhere i can check if this company pays up as it is 45 - 60 days before payment by which time i have estimated i could be into them for as much as £20000.
Also - the various container companies have promised me the world - Is this because they are desperate on the run up to Christmas or are they as busy as they make out and will keep you going throughout the year?
hopefully some of you old hands can help me out.
Cheers!
Tony.

If they are advertising in T & D and truckstop news, avoid them.

Otherwise ask somone who already works for them, they will tell you the truth :wink:

It’s better to make a bit and still be running this time next year than be promised the earth and get nowt. Tell them you’ll run for them but only on 30 days and if they are that keen they will agree, then at least if they are slow to pay, you are not into them for as much.

not easy as ultimately to get the best rates your looking at 60 days so theres always gona be an element of trust involved and asking around dosn’t always tell the true picture as theres always gona be a disgruntled story from some who didn’t get the best jobs etc.
all you can do is see how long they’ve been running if it’s only a few months steer clear if it’s ten year you stand a good chance of getting you money but everythings a gamble.

Post the names on here, someone may have already had the experience, whether it be the one your lokking for…or the one your looking to avoid!

Totally agree with all the above and Trampers advice has come in usefull, all I would add is putting the Directors names up with your post.

If they are bonafida they won’t have a problem as its public info anyway, but well worth it as we all know the bandits go bust one day and set up as another forwarding company the next. Nearly always with O/D’s and Hauliers money in their back pockets. :frowning: