Newb advice for Kent area

Hi All, new on here, so like to say hello and excellent site firstly!

Well this time last year I was going to take my Class 2 training with Clearstone, but as fate would have it, I was offered a job as a forktruck field engineer just before I sent my payment! I decided to take it and hold fire with the lorrys until I decided if driving around all day was for me. And am pleased to say it is! The only downside is when I get to my destination I have to fix trucks, which after 16 years of ‘mechanicing’, is really getting me down.

So I am now seriously considering going for the driving training / test, but to be honest am worried about finding work after…

I am currently on £8.50 an hour, which equates to just short of £1,500 take home per month. I also have a free use company mobile phone , supplied Sat’ Nav’ and total free use of the transit van / diesel. Is it possible to end up in a similar financial position seeking work through agencies in my area? I have looked well through these forums but most detail more ‘mid country’.

Although I am earning £24k now, I would be OK to take a smallish drop and lose some of the perks. I suppose I am wondering if better the devil you know!

Coward!

Cheers for any advice etc, you’re a good bunch :smiley:

Lloyd

From what I hear Clearstone just farm the training out to a local training provider and take a commission. Might be better off looking for local trainers yourself.

Ah! Thanks, yeah that would be unfair. Will do some research into that one.

Ta!

Welcome to Trucknet Lloyd, not too familiar with the Kent area for trainers but good luck with whatever you do.

Welcome to Trucknet Lloyd :wink: :laughing: It’s refreshing to see someone who has given their career change a lot of thought it is fair to believe that with enough hours you can match your present earnings but you may be better financing your own training. :wink:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I spoke to one of the LGV drivers at a company I visited today to fix their fork truck, and he suggested 7.5 tonne work, as I already have this licence!

The driver said multi dropping can be good money but depends on time of year / what you are dropping.

Any thoughts / experience on this?

Also with regards to paying for training, I was going to use Clearstone as they offer £999 all in including test etc for class 2. This seems hard to beat locally! Maybe if I mention this deal, a local will match it, worth a try.

Ta! Lloyd

Multidrop work can be really good money but you earn it , :open_mouth: it is not for those who like the easy life. (Like me :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: ) When you are good at it you can get work anywhere. 7.5t or vans are the vehicle of choice normally for this work and they do make your life easier.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

come over to driving llyod you WILL lose all your perks earn the same money but have to work 70 odd hours plus be away all week its up to you sounds like its pretty cushy where you are. as for work around where you live look in the yellow pages under road haulage.

try Amber driver training at herne bay.

sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/Displayc … 8822000040

I passed with him (first time). He’ll take you on a free assesment too once you have your provisional.

Nice guy too.

When you’re looking at prices also consider, what kind of training you get.

Some apear cheaper, but you’ll find it’s in a shared vehicle so you may actually spend more than half the 5 days or what ever sitting on the bunk watching the other bloke drive! :angry:
Some of the bigger firms also swap about instructors and vehicles, so on a 4 day course you could end up with 4 different instructors and 4 different vehicles. And nothing worse than spending your training in one vehicle and getting a totally alien one for the test.
Some will even train you in one area on one set of test routes then send you to a different test centre around somewhere you’ve never been for the test!
Granted as a proffesional driver you should be able to drive anything in your category and anywhere, but no point making it hard work for your test!.

On the other hand, larger firms to tend to buy newer vehicles and have more back up when things go wrong. Like brakedowns etc.

Hi Lloyd welcome to TruckNet UK :smiley:
and all the best with whatever you
choose.

Just to add to what’s already been said:

Another trainer to consider would be Alan’s HGVs in Ramsgate

alanshgvsdrivingschool.com/

I did both Class 2 and Class 1 with him in quick succession, and passed both first time. Like Amber (mentioned by dennisw1 above) you get a free assessment, an honest opinion, and one to one tuition. His prices are comparable with what you’ve been quoted by Clearstone, and of course if you go direct to a trainer, he gets the money himself, rather than paying someone commission.

On the other question, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of Class 2 agency work around in our area, BUT if you’re flexible and willing to do the odd bit of van and 7.5 ton stuff, you’ll probably work most of the time. I know that some agencies offer to pay the cost of training in return for a commitment to work for them for a set period, as do some employers - who those might be locally I wouldn’t know, but worth bearing in mind.

Finally, best of luck with it all - it’s a hell of a ride :smiley:

My current employer (DHL parcels) have just said they might be willing to pay for my Class 1 providing i’d be interested in working as the releif CL1 on nights.

Funding your own CL2 and doing that for a bit could be better than looking for someone to fund CL2 as it would be seen by an employer as less of a gamble, to train someone who’s already shown the comitment to fund their own CL2. :wink:

Wow, lots of replies! Thanks :smiley:

I am still unsure, like one post said, ‘it is pretty cushy where I am now’. BUT I like the drive more than the repair at the end!! Although I only do around 800 miles a week at the moment, way less than you guys! And having it cushy in a job you don’t really want makes me feel trapped :frowning:

Spoke to my employer today about the possibility of my leaving and he pannicked :open_mouth: , so I may squeeze for a pay rise in January and still do my driver training. May as well have the license ready eh?! It doesn’t expire right? :confused:

The training guy in Ramsgate I think is the same I was recommended to try by the LGV guy I spoke to earlier in the week, so yeah I shall go that route.

Lloyd:
May as well have the license ready eh?! It doesn’t expire right? :confused:

It needs to be renewed at 45 and then every five years (by sending of a medical). The theory is valid for two years ie you have to take the practical test within this period or retake the theory. The test pass certificate is also valid for only two years ie you have to send off for your full licence within this period.

Sounds like a plan Lloyd! :wink: Cushy means nothing and there are many drivers on this site that have made a career change to become a driver, many are working longer hours for less money but they are happier which is the important thing. Just make sure you have thought everything through, you will know when the time is right