Newark bypass?

Newark and…

Bingham MP Robert Jenrick is trying to get a by-pass around Newark.

newarkadvertiser.co.uk/news … w-9071797/

Seems like a good plan to me. He’s got a petition going, the details of which are in the article. Sadly though, if anything does happen, it won’t be until 2022 (ish).

The present arrangement is a complete cluster ■■■■ and needs sorting.

yourhavingalarf:
The present arrangement is a complete cluster [zb] and needs sorting.

Yeah but Newark will still exist unless they build a very big wall and fill it with concrete. Ok, you can leave Pets at Home and KFC, but the rest… :wink:

It does need some attention but going to be hard work dualing that flyover. Personally I’d build two new roads that connect the A46 to the A1 either side of Newark and not try to upgrade the central bit.

For example, could have one junction that connects up near Currys Knowhow to feed A1 onto A17 and across to A46 Lincoln side. Then another which connects down near that pub on the southern edge.

That would leave the A46 passing through traffic still going passed Newark but some of the problem seems to be the combo of all the above plus Newark’s own traffic.

It’d be cheaper than a dual flyover.plus god knows what alterations to roundabouts and years of disruption which would kill Newark town. Too many alternatives for people to visit.

I’ve never understood why the supposed ‘planners’ didn’t get it right the first time - it was obvious when they dualled the A46 up from Leicester that a bottleneck would occur when traffic hit Newark, so why didn’t they just plan the rest of the route? It’s the same as the ‘missing mile’ on the A417 - that won’t be sorted until 2023 but should have been done at the time of the original plan saving many fatalities and years of time wasted.

The developers, that are building the new growth point houses to the south of the town, should have been made to make the southern relief road a dual carriageway. However they have got away with making it not only a single carriageway, but also to build it in stages, it was supposed to go from the A46 roundabout at Farndon to a new roundabout with the A1 at Balderton. To date they have built the centre section only. As those that have tried it will know, turning right out of Staple Ln which is the southern exit, of this new road at the moment, with a fully loaded trailer is ‘Entertaining’ to say the least, what with the speed most of the traffic seems to exit the A1 roundabout and head into Balderton at.

Newark is my home town; well the nearest town to the village I was raised in.

Anyone who thinks the current bypass is crap (admittedly it is, and it was built after the plans for the A46 dualling were first proposed) should have tried to get through the town centre before the bypass was built; especially on a Wednesday!

trevHCS:
Yeah but Newark will still exist unless they build a very big wall and fill it with concrete.

Should have done that with Tolney Lane years ago! :grimacing:

Lol.
I remember day trips to skeg,as a boy…and then,in my own car,as a teen.
Newark was a complete mess(before the bypass)
Also…Mansfield and rainworth bypass didn’t exist…it would take us an hour and a half…just to reach Newark.
Always remember my old man pointing out the chippy where they caught the black panther,where you turn left at rainworth.
:laughing:

It’s simply a case of every household has 2/3 cars ( our old neighbour had 5 , him , his mrs & 3 kids all had a car ) , we had 3 , old days most had one , roads just can’t cope with ,
volume of traffic
My mate told me my old depot at Newark is closing ( loosing money ) so that will be apx 50 esl lorries not clogging up the roads of Newark at least !!