New Zealand advice

Hi mate.i have been looking to move to nz for years all advice and where to get job offers over the phone welcome!would like to work Wellington or lake taurpo wanted some advice on gaining jobs n visas etc all advice welcome please!!!

we have had 2 possible drivers refused visa’s as they not “Skilled” (1 from uk 1 from serbia) dont know all the ins and outs just what they told me in the last 12 months. fourtunatly my visa keeps ticking over nicley being a qualified diesel mechanic. after all this there’s at least 2 trucks a day with no drivers

sandgrounder:
Hi mate.i have been looking to move to nz for years all advice and where to get job offers over the phone welcome!would like to work Wellington or lake taurpo wanted some advice on gaining jobs n visas etc all advice welcome please!!!

You will find it a lot easier to get work in Auckland or around that area.

There is a 13 hour difference in time so why not give some companies a call.

I had to email the company who gave me the offer of employment as we got our residency visa for Australia so cant take up his offer I am really really gutted as he is a top top top bloke who i would of given a right arm to work for.

Disco

to get a Visa. it is quite simple.

you have a few options.

1 you can go to NZ on a vistior visa for 6 months being a uk passport holder. and apply for jobs there

2 you can get a 12 month Visa Work permit. (if in NZ or UK you need a job offer)

3 you can get a longer visa 24/36 months (WP) but have to submit police checks medicals etc.

I suggest you do it all in NZ as it is cheaper then doing it in the UK.

The employer needs to give you a wage of over $55,000 dollars (NZ) and in written form, Class 5 is there LGV 1, that is what they did last time we was over there back in 2007/8.

They wouldn’t accept a class 2 UK licence … loook on the webiste you will see on the ISSL truck driver general.

you will need a writen and signed letter from an employer. you will need a signed contract. you also need to earn $55k or more for a 40 hour week. it has to be a salary not paid hours.

yes you can come here on holiday and job hunt but if you email NZ companies it is a lot easier. YES some of us do reply.
dont hold your breath for work as we are the same as the rest of the world, in a recession.

your UK licence is good for 12 months only and yes you stand a better chance if you have your class 1.

yes Auckland gives you the better chance of work and thats because it i the biggest city.

i know how it works as i have employed over 15 UK drivers over the last 6 or 7 years.
some got their work permit in the uk and some got it in NZ.
all have ended up with PR. for some it was a real battle with the NZ immergration.
as a result of the trouble with NZI i now will not take on anymore.

pervysimon,where are you based ? north or south island?

glenman:
pervysimon,where are you based ? north or south island?

South Auckland, North Island.

is driving fuel tankers one of the few accredited jobs that pay enough to get the $55k for any chance of permanent residency ?

glenman:
is driving fuel tankers one of the few accredited jobs that pay enough to get the $55k for any chance of permanent residency ?

not sure. it is the company that needs to be accredited not the job.
if you go on the NZ immigration website the is a list of accredited companies.
we did not renew our accreditation a couple of years ago due to the problems we had.

sorry, i worded that wrong. i knew it was the company that needed to be accredited,although it seemed to be mostly fuel companies that paid that sort of dollars when i had looked in to it.

glenman:
sorry, i worded that wrong. i knew it was the company that needed to be accredited,although it seemed to be mostly fuel companies that paid that sort of dollars when i had looked in to it.

give this company a try as i know they are accredited
hookers.co.nz/fuel-haulage/

i know linfox is a major fuel transport company but dont know if they are accredited.
most work 3 days, 3 nights then 3 off shift paterns.

Just reading the above posts, do you have any names or contact details of any companies in NZ that are willing to offer jobs to UK drivers?
I have HGV 1 for almost 3 years now, looking to drive in Australia ( Have family there ) or NZ, but have just started looking into it.
General Truck driving is still on the ISS list, but if you have contact details that would help.
Otherwise, I will be trawling the Interweb for the details myself.

Interesting info on the other posts.
If you have any other tips, please share them :slight_smile:

kypoman

Tried the online work visa form, but no luck, unless I can get a job offer from a NZ Company.
If anyone has any contacts I can try, please feel free to post them to me
Thanks, will keep looking.

Hello,

Hi all,

I hold an LGV C (passed UK test in 2005) and am looking at New Zealand as a possible place for work (for one or two years). I’m too old for a working holiday visa but have heard that I may be eligible for a “normal” work permit as there is a shortage of drivers at the moment. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If so, any pointers as to how I’d move things forward? Not sure if I’d need to get an application for a work permit sponsored by an employer or whether I get one first and then look for work.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Straggler

Suggest you go to nzta.govt.nz regarding licensing issues. I have actually been a offered a job with a company near Christchurch but I’m not in a position to go for it right now. :frowning:

Hi Straggler,

I suggest you ring a couple of hauliers in NZ there are plenty of companies who require drivers however I believe you have to have a Class 5 (our Class 1) Truck Drivers are on the mmediate Term Skills Shortage but not on the Long term Skills Shortage.

I currently have an offer of employment by cold calling.

The Visa options you have are

a 1 year visa cost £70 quid approx.
a 2/3 year visa costs £70 plus medical £200 to £300 police checks £35-70 then consider your family if you have some … if you have kids I suggest you get a 2/3 year then they will get free schooling.

I am currently in the process of Australia so may have to reject the offer of employment I got.

I hope this helps

Disco

Duck you are in same boat as me.

I have a signed contract in Auckland but due to getting possible PR in Australia fingers crossed very soon will have to turn down the job offer but it is a good back up even if it is only on a WP.

Hey Discoman
Are you going to Australia as a truck driver? I would sell a kidney to get into Oz lol.
I was thinking of going to New Zealand as Oz took truck driver off the skills list.
So how are you getting PR in Oz?

Hi Wicked,

When I get there yeah I will be driving trucks, but I wont be getting in on my licence my missus is the main applicant, and it is onher profession.

its not 100% yet we are waiting on a Case Officer and medicals etc etc.

If not I will take up my offer of employment in NZ do the 5 years then go over.