New Years Honours

Lots of MPs, civil servents, sports people and executives got honoured for doing their jobs, wonder if any truck drivers got a knigh hood for doing their job?

Nominate someone!

The good thing about an MBE is that it can be successfully nominated by the community that the person has served.

Any truck drivers that have campaigned for better services / conditions?

Assisted and promoted people trying to get into truck driving? Encouraged young people?

Gone above and beyond on some way - assisting in crises (help for drivers abandoned to a life parked on the M20) or whatever?

Long service, delivering essential supplies…

NormanInNorfolk:
The good thing about an MBE is that it can be successfully nominated by the community that the person has served.

As much as I used to disagree with her, Pat Ratcliffe who used to drive on boxes at Bentons and started PDA-UK forums and then the Professional Drivers Foundation would be the main person I can think of.

PDA main website seems to be down now, Facebook page is still up but not updated for some time.

facebook.com/Professional-D … 251405853/

Conor:

NormanInNorfolk:

As much as I used to disagree with her, Pat Ratcliffe who used to drive on boxes at Bentons and started PDA-UK forums and then the Professional Drivers Foundation would be the main person I can think of.

PDA main website seems to be down now, Facebook page is still up but not updated for some time.

facebook.com/Professional-D … 251405853/

Unfortunatley Pat passed away in 2021

Pat drove for Brett’s at Guyhirn for many years, then went on to start a DCPC training school in her retirement - doing proper CPC training, including things like roping and sheeting.

Sadly we lost her in 2021, followed a few weeks later by her husband, Ian - Bigger Birdie on the various forums - who came off the road on his motorbike. Heartbreaking.

NormanInNorfolk:
Nominate someone!

Assisted and promoted people trying to get into truck driving? Encouraged young people?

You want to honour them ffs? :open_mouth:
They should be nicked for abuse. :smiley:

Why would any young person in their right mind want to get in to this game today the way it is ran.
Would you want any of your kids to enter the industry?
I.sure as hell didn’t and I’m highly delighted (and relieved) they iistened to me and didn’t.

Any drivers:?
What about our dozy for keeping the country running on his agency whilst the rest of us were sat on our arses on Christmas hols… :smiley:
Or Carryfast for highlighting the widespread and well known problem of drivers being used as labourers in warehouses. :smiley:
Franglais for his services and dedication to Covid and politics… :smiley:

robroy:
[

Why would any young person in their right mind want to get in to this game today the way it is ran.
Would you want any of your kids to enter the industry?
I sure as hell didn’t

Amen to that! My almost-15-year-old likes the idea of driving trains, and at the wages those guys are on I wouldn’t discourage him from that, but truck driving? Shed loads of responsibilities but wages not commensurate with those responsibilities, plus 15 hour days with the expectations of minimal breaks and rests? Employers who look down their noses at you and treat you like a work-bot to be deployed how and when they see fit? I want better for him than that.

Lucy:
Pat drove for Brett’s at Guyhirn for many years, then went on to start a DCPC training school in her retirement - doing proper CPC training, including things like roping and sheeting.

Might have useful at one time, but there would be absolutely no point in anyone offering old-school stuff like that these days, DVSA don’t recognise R&S as adequate methods of load security, they’d rather drivers learned about stuff like EN 12195 (1 to 4) and the contents of the link below
gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

Rumor has it that the dozy one was offered a knighthood but he was too busy eating a manky orange in a lay-by on Friday night. :laughing:

drover:
Rumor has it that the dozy one was offered a knighthood but he was too busy eating a manky orange in a lay-by on Friday night. :laughing:

I could do with something to cheer me up , what could be better than a knighthood , though even I’m realistic enough to know a unemployed lorry drivers not going to qualify for one

Zac_A:

Lucy:

Might have useful at one time, but there would be absolutely no point in anyone offering old-school stuff like that these days, DVSA don’t recognise R&S as adequate methods of load security, they’d rather drivers learned about stuff like EN 12195 (1 to 4) and the contents of the link below
gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance

It was 15 years ago when she started up, so it was still relevant than. Pat was a very intelligent woman, so I have no doubt whatsoever that she will have updated her courses accordingly - she did all Bretts’ CPC courses, so they were obviously satisfied.

Lucy:

Sadly we lost her in 2021, followed a few weeks later by her husband, Ian - Bigger Birdie on the various forums - who came off the road on his motorbike. Heartbreaking.

Very sad. I met them once, at the BMF show at Peterborough I think. Pat was very much a force of nature and could be somewhat trenchant in her views (we sparred occasionally on another forum) but her heart was certainly in the right place.

RIP both of them.