New wannabe driver

Hi guys im new here, but i love trucks been round them all my life untill sadly my dad passed away, this is somthing i really want to do but. The price for a start is high, as im unemployed i’m desperatley looking for work but, theres nothing, another thing is who will want to employ a 19 year old with no ecperience when they can easily employ people with 8 years? So no experience and no money how am i going to get anywhere as a driver? Tips would be helpfull

as much as you love trucks, get a job, get ur licence but dont leave that job for like 2 years etc, things are bad right now, too many experienced drivers looking for work so newbies have it hard.

edit im not trying to put you off being a trucker if thats what you really want, i mean you aint really gonna listen to a twit on an internet forum lol but the moneys not that great, the hours are long, social life is a pain in the rear end etc etc, its just the job market is pathetic right now. i have heard stories of the jobcentre paying for your class 2 or whatnot to get youa job, whether this is true or not i dont know, longest ive spent on the dole was 2 weeks so never had a chance to find out.

Depends if you have passed your car test yet as you will need the initial dcpc

If going through the job centre there are certain thing you have to do to qualify to receive funding as it not easy & they dont always have that funding available

Yep your are right about your age but it is normally to do with insurance ( although there are some who have found work under 25 that magical age ) & yep they do like you to have 2 years proven experience which can be hard ( but this is not a new thing btw it was like that 30+ years ago when I left school they wanted you to have all the qualifications & experience )

But stay focused & dont give up have you tried training to become an LGV fitter in the mean time as you could go to collage to do this then you never know what that can lead to just a thought

Good luck

I believe there is also a logistic course you can do

A big hello from fife.Well this is my first post although been a member for a year or so.Read this topic and sounds like same situation i was in 5 years ago,loved trucks and only had car licence at 23.Bit of a long road but what i done was apply to drive buses,get your licence for free and not bad pay.Went on the sick 6 months later and got class 2 although never got a job on rigids for 2 years due to no experience.So worked with laundry for 2 years,not glamorous but was a start on trucks and alot better than working with public.Again saved up and got a weeks holiday to do my class 1 or c+e.So 5 years on and driving artic fridges around central scotland :smiley: .I know most companys dont care if youve been driving buses for 100 years and rigids for the same but some companys will look at it as something…driving a double decker round a city with 100 people on has to count for something!! Its an option so good luck in your trucking career and hello to the forum.

oh god another fifer lol :smiley:

Lol yeah been in the kingdom for about 20 years too long but dont worry,im originaly from london…yes a cockney!

haha you mean you havnt seen sense, im born and bred here nearly 25 blooming years.